DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
As I promised, my next review is for the Audi R8 Le Mans Sieger 2000.

PAINT
The paint is very well applied although there are unpainted areas (most noticeably on the underside of the engine cover. The sponsor logos are done by tampo-painting although the German flags on the sidepods are stickers.
6/8

EXTERIOR
The scale and proportions of the model are correct and there is a much greater use of metal in the model's exterior over Maisto's R8R. The fit between the engine cover and the bodywork is improved and the panel gap is reasonable. The air vents on the engine cover and above the front wheels are genuine openings and the air intakes in the sidepods are actually perforated. However the air intakes on the engine cover leading in to the engine bay are actually plastic, not metal, which is a bit of a step down from the R8R. The lights are realistic as well and nicely rendered.
5/8

INTERIOR

The interior is very well replicated where most of the controls are nicely defined and a map of the Sarthe circuit is included on the floor. The seat and seatbelts are well rendered too. Like the R8R (and many other of Maisto's LM models), the dreaded chrome plastic "E" is used to simulate the foot pedals.
6/8

WHEELS & BRAKES
The same OZ Racing wheels as those on the R8R are used and the tyres this time are correctly branded. However the same faults remain - the brake discs are not realistically coloured and do not rotate with the wheels.
4/6

ENGINE & UNDERCARRIAGE DETAIL

The engine bay is very well detailed, more so than the R8R's own. The engine is well detailed with some wiring and the suspension is well simulated, albeit non-functional. However the moulding lines on the parts in the engine are still clearly visible. There is minimal undercarriage detail (only the rear diffuser is present) but this is correct as modern LM racers have flat underttrays.
6/8

COMPETITION
No other manufacturer makes the R8 2000 so Maisto have exclusive rights.
6/6

DESIRABILITY
The quality of the R8 2000 is improved over the R8R 1999 and it is not as easy to find either.
4/6

OVERALL
Maisto made a big improvement with the R8 2000 over their R8R 1999.The only down step is the air intakes on the engine cover. With that said, it is a good example of how much Maisto's models have improved as of late. It still doesn't compare to AUTOart's sportscars but the fact that it is a model of a Le Mans winning race car makes it still worth buying.
Total Score - 37/50

Thanks to StygianMax and http://www.DX Rocks.com[/URL] for the use of their pictures.

© 2003 www.DiecastXchange.com All rights reserved

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Great Review!
I have this car and would agree.
Nice model for a great price!
I really appreciate the effort you put into your reviews :jk:

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Wonderful review! It would be great to have a stickied page with a table containing links to all the reviews you've done.

G

·
Wonderful review! It would be great to have a stickied page with a table containing links to all the reviews you've done.
:?: :?: All the reviews that have been done are in this forum.

Or are you refering to something else that I may have missed. :?

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
:?: :?: All the reviews that have been done are in this forum.

Or are you refering to something else that I may have missed. :?
I guess I was thinking of a table that would essentially be a "living document". So it could be a multi-column thing with headers in alphabetical order like:

• - manufacturer
    - manufacturer's part #,
    - description
    - etc.

• As the reviews are done, a new entry would be created in the table to link to the appropriate thread containing the review.

The table would then be the "one-stop-shop" that contains all the links. I haven't thought through all the pros/cons so it may no be the greatest of ideas or with a little/lot refinement, could ultimately be something useful.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure about how to tabulate your proposal, StygianMax, but I think I understand what your proposal. I'll create a list of my reviews in this forum and post is as a sticky.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
I'm not sure about how to tabulate your proposal, StygianMax, but I think I understand what your proposal. I'll create a list of my reviews in this forum and post is as a sticky.
Something along the line of this: Diecast.org Link to page for Maisto | Scale 1:18 | GT Racing

I don't mean to make work for you. I just thought it's a neat idea for someone to do, that's all.

That website has people submitting reviews but they seem few and far between. I really like the structure of your reviews. It covers all the important criteria.

G

·
I have a better understanding of what your saying now. :mrgreen:

CS_GT,

Can you do one thread listing all the reviews with a link to each one in the listing. And from there, each review thats added can also be added to that list. If you would like I can get to work on this late tonight or if you want to go ahead and take the lead thats fine with me as well.

Honestly, I'm on the fence as it proves to be a lot of work initially, but it may prove to be helpful as a reference point for members who have trouble browsing back through previous reviews.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's exactly what I thought you were both talking about. I've been working on it since I read your previous posts. This won't be too difficult, just a little time consuming but it's OK. Hopefully the hotlinking system should be finished by tomorrow.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Here are a few thoughts that came to my mind in creating such a "Masterlist Page":

• - Create a page in MS-Notepad (or whatever text editting tool of your choice) that contains the links. Store on own harddrive for backup purposes!!
    - Once completed, copy & paste into new post that the admin guys can sticky,
    - As new reviews are posted in the "Members Product Reviews" forum, a new thread number would be generated,
    - Extract link from the website using "Copy",
    - "Paste" link in using "Edit" for the stickied Masterlist post to make the addition in the proper location within the list.

• Oh well, that's my $0.02. ;-)

Thanks in advance for all your efforts CS_GT!!!! :mrgreen: I've learned in time that it's a lot easier to build a "database" before the dataset gets huge and bloated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts