DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Maisto has a talent for producing Corvettes(particularly C4's) that instantly become treasured collectables amongst collectors, primarily Corvette Collectors.

Their range of C4's include many different variations touching on all of that generations subject matter. The quality and details of these models show just how far Maisto have come with giving collectors a better product.

These particular Corvettes are of basic design, nothing you will associate with a premium model. Everything about the model, to include, wheels, interior, engine and details are all basic design. You will find many models that are better in detail and quality as you will find many worse models in the same aformentioned categories.

I am not sure what the price range of these models when they were on the market, however, the secondary market prices for these models can easily extend in the $100-$150 range. Are they worth that much, depends on the buyer :lol

1993 Corvette ZR1 in Ruby Red
This particular model subject matter is an extremely important to the Corvette history as it represents the 40th Anniversary as well as the model that represents the 1,000,000th Corvette. Maisto even included the matching Ruby Red interior. Originally, this model came with Saw Blade type wheels, however, I replaced them with the 5-spoke wheels.These models can still be found for a reasonable dollar amount too.

1996 Corvette Convertible Collectors Edition
Produced in 1996, this is another well done replica by Maisto. Sadly Maisto only produced this model a convertible, I would loved to have a coupe of this model in my collection. This model is often confused as a Anniversary Edition, however, its a Collectors Edition, just as the 1978 model. The Sebring Silver on this model was the second most popular color for the C4, following the Ruby Red which was #1.

Not too sure what the market price was for this particular Maisto model when it was introduced, but expect to pay in the $50-$75 range on the secondary market, and that may be a low price range.

1996 Corvette "Last C4" Mid America
This model is a replica of the last C4 to roll of the production line, commissioned by Mid America's President. Even though this was a special commission by Mid America, it was available in some big box stores.

Released in 1996, I am not sure what the retail price was at the time, but rest assured the secondary market easily pushes this model above the $100 mark. I traded a sauber for this particular model...and I feel I got the better end of that deal too :giggle

1996 Corvette Grand Sport Coupe and Convertible
Another fine example of subject matter from Maisto. The convertible version, released in 1996 from Maisto came in two different versions. One came with a silver lip and the other came with an all black wheel that didn't have the silver lip, this was the incorrect version. Glad to know Maisto go the second version correct.

The convertible Grand sport remains as one of the most expensive C4 models to obtain these days. Expect to pay close to $100 for this model. And thats a low range.

Maisto followed up the convertible release with a coupe in 2003. It was a welcome addition to this line up as well. There was a collector who specialized in making GS Coupes prior to Maisto producing their coupe. Prices on his custom pieces were averaging well above the $100 mark as eBay provided a bidding frenzy on these pieces. I was glad to pick up a coupe at a big box store for $9.99, I wonder how those bidders who paid big bucks felt once they realized Maisto was adding a coupe to their line up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for the informative thread Derrick :cheers The white on white 'Last C4' looks very distinct among those. I was not aware that these Maisto C4s fetch such a pretty penny :confused

I picked up a C4 Indiapolis 500 pace car for some 5$ not too long ago, but unfortunatly the decals were peeling badly and I decided to remove them, so I think that negates any collective value it had (though I'm still glad I picked it up :happy ).

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I am really proud of it, the paint and detailing on it is first class. I actually traded a coupe as a body donor and a Grand Sport convertible as a chassis donor for it. I have subsequently acquired the lesser cost coupe, but haven't put the two coupes side by side to compare them. Only C4's I have in my collection are the two Grand Sports (well, three, if you count both coupes).

If I were to ever buy a street Corvette, it would be a Grand Sport coupe. All I have to do is find $30-50K USD hanging around somewhere.

:cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was a great write up. I agree that the 40th will be one to get. I am still hunting down a grand sport convertible. Last one I seen the guy was aking $200.00 so I told him to just keep it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Very informative! There is no mention of the white Maisto ZR1 with saw blade wheels; I picked on up in the 90's at a local grocery store; it is one of the worst 1:18 scale nodels that I own, and that includes Solidos. I was into 1:24 scale at the time, and stuck it and the box in a closet for a couple years. Had I taken a look at it then, I would not have ever purchased any Maistos...on the other hand, I have several of the Grand Sports, and they improved the fit and quality over the years, and I actually have collected quite a few Maistos.

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
DiecastX said:
1996 Corvette Convertible Collectors Edition
Not too sure what the market price was for this particular Maisto model when it was introduced, but expect to pay in the $50-$75 range on the secondary market, and that may be a low price range.
I paid $20 CDN ($17 US) for it in 1999. It is valued today at $40.00 but you might pay more on the market.

I have the chance to own one in my collection...lucky me! :happy
I didn't have the chance to know the existence of the last C4...un-lucky me! :cry

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
I can't believe I finally read this post :giggle I onlsy started it about 5 times :lol

Great write up, nice to see some "old friends" :giggle

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I think that the yellow one was one of the last colors released.
*Picture courtesy of scale18.com*

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts