DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Hello again, fellow collectors. My F40 still hasn't arrived so I've decided to do a review on the 1/18 Mercedes-Benz CLK-DTM 2001 by Maisto.

Maisto were responsible for making this model and two teams are available (24h Service and Original-Teile) with both drivers. Even though this is a modern Maisto, this is a rather large step below the quality of recent Maistos and to add insult to injury it costs slightly more to cover the costs of sponsorship.

The panel gaps are rather tight and the finish is acceptable for a Maisto and the paint is very good especially since the sponsors are tampo-painted and not decals. The lights are fairly well detailed but they have mounting posts that are almost impossible not to notice (especially on the headlights) and they spoil the car's stance, making it look more toy-like than a scale model.

The grille is rather well done with the as is the "three-pointed star" on the front of the hood but the front air intake is not perforated and little effort was made to hide this. The rear wing is fairly well done and it has two separate elements but it looks like a separate part of the car because it lacks the shine that the painted body has. The wing also sits on a trunk that does not open.

The interior is probably the model's biggest let down. Even though racecar interiors are dark, bland and have only what they must have, this is a really poor effort. The roll cage is acceptable although its finish is poor as you can see the moulding marks where the two bars cross. The steering wheel is very chunky and it sits too low for the driver. The seats as well as the intruments are poorly made and difficult to distinguish although the carbon-fibre effect is rather nicely simulated (the plastic is corrugated with fine lines).

The wheels are rather nicely done and the tyres are correctly branded and the brake discs have callipers but like other Maisto models, they are fixed to the discs so the discs do not rotate with the wheels.

The hood/engine cover can be removed to reveal a not very well made engine. Although one can appreciate that details and specifications of engines for most modern racing car will be shrouded in secrecy, a slug of plastic with two air intakes doesn't really justify making a poorly made hidden engine. However the roll cage, suspension and brake cooling ducts are rather well done. As you'd expect from a modern racing car, there is no undercarriage detail as a relatively flat undertray aids the aerodynamics and Maisto made a rather nice rear diffuser.

Maisto did a reasonable effort of making the CLK-DTM but when this it put beside the 2000-spec R8 (also by Maisto and older) it is clear that the CLK DTM is a step below the older R8.

Ratings

Paint/Decals - 7/10
Exterior - 6.5/10
Interior - 3/10
Engine - 6/10
Wheels/Brakes - 7/10

Overall - 6/10

Thanks to http://www.DX Rocks.com[/URL] for the use of their photos

© 2003 www.DiecastXchange.com All rights reserved

G

·
I have this model too and agree very much with your observations. The engine compartment is a joke as far as displaying an engine. Completely hidden by "carbon-fiber" (model plastic) intakes. But still its better to have a detachable front end, than an uninteresting curbside model. I appreciate Maisto's effort for such a low priced model.

The light attachment stubbs are a major shortcoming from these models. I'm glad Maisto corrected this problem for the 2002 models.

I once took appart one of my Maisto DTM models for the parts. Later I changed my mind about the project and decided to put it back together. I gave it to my 8 year old son and he put it back together in about 1 hour! Steering system operating and all.

I believe there were:
- 8 Maisto DTM model varieties for the 2000 season
- 6 Maisto DTM model varieties for the 2001 season, and;
- 3 (so far) Maisto DTM for the 2002 season (the new CLK)

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The light attachment stubbs are a major shortcoming from these models. I'm glad Maisto corrected this problem for the 2002 models.
Thanks for mentioning this, Ivan. I was wondering if this problem was going to carry on in the 2002 models and now that I know that this isn't the case, I think I'll get Schneider's version of the 2002 CLK-DTM now.

G

·
I have a collection of CLK-DTM's and I have always thought they were great pieces for the money. I too noticed the same flaws as mentioned above, but the price and appeal of the CLK-DTM's overcame these shortcomings. :knutkck:

Agreeing 100% with the review, these are still some of my favorite models. :sm:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts