DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Since implementing the new model rating system, I'm starting to revise the reviews for the models that I've reviewed so far, beginning with Maisto's Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG.

PAINT
The SL55 AMG is only available in silver. The silver paint is reasonably thick but there are some unpainted areas - most noticably on interior sections of the model.
4/8

EXTERIOR
The proportions are correct and the model is to scale. The panel gaps around the doors and the trunk are fairly tight but the doors are quite loose. The roof section is plastic rather than metal and this is noticeable when you look at it in bright light - the roof section doesn't reflect light as brightly as the painted metal surface. The roof section is also crudely fitted as there is a sizeable panel gap between it and the A-pillar but the fitting is sturdy. The grille is perforated but the air dam is not but it is simulated my plastic moulded to look like mesh effect. The lights are reasonable and stay secure where they are mounted. Only the foglights have mounting posts as do the tail lights but the mounting posts on the tail lights are slightly hidden. Side repeaters on side mirrors are not actual separate plastic pieces but rather moulded in to the side mirrors Labelling is applied by decals rather than badges.
5/8

INTERIOR

The interior is surprisingly detailed for a Maisto. The doors still use the dated dogleg hinges but this is minor. Their is no carpet detail but the seats are textured and have some detail on the controls for adjusting them. The seats also have separate seat belts (but the buckles are not separate) with complimentary clips. The AMG logo is emblazoned on the headrests also. The centre console is far more detailed than the average Maisto - stickers are only used for the dials and the TV/SatNav display while the rest is moulded and painted. The only serious gripe about the interior is that the separation between the top and bottom of the dashboard can be clearly seen. The trunk does open but there is little to speak of. Some effort was made to simulate the folding roof mechanism but the metal in the trunk section is unpainted and very rough.
6/8

WHEELS & BRAKES
The wheels are very detailed and even have the pin where you'd inflate the tyres which on the model are unbranded (should be branded "Michelin"). Although brake discs and calipers are present, the discs do not rotate with the wheels as the calipers are fixed to the discs. However, if you look closely enough you will be able to see the AMG logo on each caliper and the calipers are very detailed, especially for a budget model.
4/6

ENGINE & UNDERCARRIAGE DETAIL

The engine is surprisingly detailed with the odd sticker here and there and the paintwork making a distinction between the water box, the battery and the other parts you'd expect to find in an engine bay. Frankly there isn't much to say about the detail of the engine itself but this is fine as much of the engine in the real SL55 AMG is covered up (which is typical of many modern cars, especially Mercedes-Benz) so this model will still get high marks for the engine detail. The only fault with the engine bay is that the suspension turrets should be silver (the same colour as the bodywork) but they are black, like the plastic. The undercarriage is detailed as well for a budget model with plenty of separate parts and detail on the exhausts. The suspension works fully too and it is not as oversprung as previous Maistos.
6/8

COMPETITION
Only Maisto make the SL55 AMG. They also make the SL500 (as well as Minichamps) but this is the only SL55 AMG model available.
6/6

DESIRABILITY
The quality is good for a budget model and it has no competition. Initially the model was only available through Mercedes-Benz dealers but it is now available in some toy stores in small numbers so it still has some rarity.
4/6

OVERALL
In short, Maisto's effort of making the SL55 AMG as a model is a very good one although it still has flaws (which are acceptable for the price). It is certainly one of Maisto's best models. Considering the price it is rather good value for money and I would go so far as to say that it is a poor man's AUTOart (due to the engine detail and interior). It is a must have for Mercedes fans and budget model collectors should get this too.

Total Score - 35/50

Thanks to http://www.please support DX Advertisers![/URL] for the use of their photos

© 2003 www.DiecastXchange.com All rights reserved

G

·
CS GT,

I think you give a very good and honest assessment of the AMG SL55. I too was disappointed with some of the features, but it still remains one of my favorite Mercedes models as it is diplayed with my SLR coupe and conv.

The price has a lot to do with that. Definitely not AUTOart standards but a wortht purchase nonetheless :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Another great review Darren!

I have the Minichamps SL500 which I feel is considerably better than the Maisto versions, but I don't think Minichamps will be doing a SL55, which is a shame as I'd love one! (But I'm not keen on getting a Maisto version)

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another great review Darren!

I have the Minichamps SL500 which I feel is considerably better than the Maisto versions, but I don't think Minichamps will be doing a SL55, which is a shame as I'd love one! (But I'm not keen on getting a Maisto version)
I've seen Minichamps SL500 as well, Ronan, and I agree that it is a superior model to Maisto's new SL Class. I've heard rumours that another (albeit relatively unknown) manufacturer might be making the SL 55 in 1/18 with quality comparable to AUTOart's or Minichamps' standards. If it is made it will also have the functioning roof that transforms it from a convertible in to a coupe and back.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I've seen Minichamps SL500 as well, Ronan, and I agree that it is a superior model to Maisto's new SL Class. I've heard rumours that another (albeit relatively unknown) manufacturer might be making the SL 55 in 1/18 with quality comparable to AUTOart's or Minichamps' standards. If it is made it will also have the functioning roof that transforms it from a convertible in to a coupe and back.
Yes, Minichamps did a great job (plus I got mine quite cheaply from my local M-B dealer which was nice!) so it would be nice if they did the SL55. However, I agree that any of the high end companies (such as AUTOart, CMC or Kyosho) would quite possibly do an equally good job!

I like your new job description/avtar by the way!!! :mrgreen:

G

·
I'm looking for a SL500 cpe and a SL600 vert, I din't know Minichamps had one on the market as I have never seen it...but if its an imporvement over the versions offered by Maisto, maybe I should look at them instead. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm looking for a SL500 cpe and a SL600 vert, I din't know Minichamps had one on the market as I have never seen it...but if its an imporvement over the versions offered by Maisto, maybe I should look at them instead. :mrgreen:
Minichamps 1/18 version of the SL500 has been available for some time now. There are some very good pics of it here http://www.hr-specials.de/shop/b66962133.html It shows it in both coupe and convertible form. I think that it is only available in silver at the moment but a black version may become available. However it is rather expensive at around $120 - 4 times that of Maisto's version.

G

·

I'm keeping all my MB street models in silver. I have both SLR's and the SL55 in silver, so its going to be a silver collection. :sm:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts