DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Does anyone else, besides me, feel like Maisto's QC is going downhill really fast these days?

About a month ago I helped my diecast supplier (and Maisto official dealer) set up his stand at the local International Auto Show and, as his models shippment failed to arrive in time, he asked me if I could give him some of the (old) Maisto models I had in my collection for display purposes. Due to high demand, he ended-up selling them, but he assured me he'll be getting them back for me as soon as his stock arrived. Soon, his shippment came in and he called me to go get my models back.

Now, some of the models I provided him with were ones that I had bought back in 1998-99 (like the 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz) and were impulse buys (first box off the shelve), but they were pretty much flawless as far as budget standards go. Given that, I was most unpleasantly surprised when, trying to get my models back, I had to browse through tons of (recently produced) diecast models in order to find a decent looking model and, in some cases, I wasn't able to pick one from a dozen! :pullhair Most of the problems (and most annoying) I stumbled upon were paint-related issues and horribly visible molding seams, but parts misaligment, poor assembly quality or lower (than in the past) quality plastic were common aswell.

Am I getting too much of a perfectionist or has Maisto started focusing more on toy-production and abandoned serious collectors, lowering QC standards?

Sorry for boring you with my frustration, but this is an issue that's been really pissing me off lately, especially when companies like AUTOart or Exoto have adopted absurd price policies while others, like Maisto, that used to be cheap but acceptable alternatives, seem to not care anymore... :rant

·
Registered
73 Posts
:iagree I completely share your sentiments! I too have noticed many of the new releases seem to have much larger seams. An example is the Murcielago roadster where the side glass and the A pill has a HUGE gap which prevented me from purchasing it. I can honestly say I am disappointed by their Dauer EB110 with the poorly replicated engine bay. The plastic looks extremely unrealistic and cheap. Reminds me of some Hot Wheels interior.

If you check out their site, much of their focus is on tuner cars these days including their G-Ridez, G-Rodz amonst other "toy" styled products. :badidea

I started my collection with Maistos. Now, most of the new releases I wouldn't even touch because of how large the door seams are. Its a shame.

G

·
Patrick,

Allow me to ask which newer models are you referring to?

I won't take the stance of defending ANY company, however, some of the newer Maisto models I have recieved have been to the standard of expectations of Maisto.

Serious colectors are going to be mad at you for proclaiming Maisto as a 'serious collectors brand' :lol

Maisto, as good as their models are, are still most definitely TOYS. No doubt about that. Check your local big box store isle for further proof of that.

I think the misconception is when comparisons of premium models are done using Maisto brand models. For whatever reason it may be, its the norm to compare a poorly detailed premium model to that of Maisto.

That may have a little to do with high expectations of Maisto products.

Sorry to hear that you couldn't find a suitable replacement.

I hold Maisto products in high regard as I firmly believe that I get what I pay for and I know the Maisto standard level is within that price range. And most of the times fullfilled quite easily by Maisto.

As a collector, you may be growing and your expectations may have exceeded from previous years. Thats great for you as you are clearly able to recognize a good model from a not so good model.

Hope you find some suitable replacements son :cheers

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I share your p.o.v. too, but it's not the class Maisto are or have been in that bothers me, but the fact that, compared to earlier realeses, they seem to have traded mediocre by demanding collector standards, but good quality/price ratio for massive production/kid oriented product quality... :(

G

·
I wasn't aware of Maisto QC slipping Catalin. Having said that though, it's been 12 months since I bought a Maisto (R171 SLKs).
People have been speaking very favourably about their newer releases such as the new Boxster and 997, but I haven't heard much about the quality of older models in the lineup recently.

Fancy that bloke selling all of your Maistos. :giggle I hope you managed to replace them all.

:cheers

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
I think that is it a combination of you "growing up" :giggle on the Diecast food chain and are used to seeing better models now and what I state below.
I have bought hundreds of Maistos as I gave them as gifts to clients every Christmas time. In MHO the QC of Maisto's (of new releases) is the same now as it was back in the mid '90s when I started the gift giving.

One thing that I have noticed and it could be what is wrong in your case, is that the re-release of older molds are being cast with molds that have churned out cars by the thousands. It seems that smaller details on the mold are getting blurred and tolerances in gaps are getting bigger.

One recent case that I can point out is the '65 Corvette (a relative new cast). On the original first release (blue one) the little "gills" above/behind the doors is sharp, but if you look at the latest release, the maroon one, the gills have almost dissapeared.

Q. Did the dealer sell them with your concent? if not I would ask him to find you sutable replacement and even go to secondary markets.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmmm... Didn't think about the overusage of old molds, but now that I think about it, you've got a very strong point. Nevertheless, I have noticed faint detailing on newer models too, be it due to overpainting or bad molding.

As for me "growing up" as a collector, all I can say is that I have been an obsessed perfectionist ever since I got my first tiny matchboxes an majorettes. So, as far as 1:18 collecting goes, let me put it like this: when I go to, let's say, PizzaHut (read it as an analogy to budget brands like Maisto), I expect getting nothing more than a low priced pizza, but at least a good one; if I were to go to the Burj Al Arab (again, read it as an analogy to AUTOart, Kyosho and so on) - I'd expect nothing less than a fancy dinner, top service and high quality food for the price and reputation.

Jim: I have seen and bought both the 997 and the new Boxster from Maisto and let me tell you, I had to browse through about a dozen of each model before finding one without chipped/bubbly paint or horrible molding seams.

In the end (that'd be today), I have managed to replace all my missing models with acceptable substitutes, got better quality ones for similar Maistos (like a new Welly Cayenne Turbo instead of the Maisto I gave him) and even got a brand new dealer edition Kyosho M5 for my older Kyosho 5 series (that had chipped paint and a slightly cracked rim that I hadn't noticed 6 months ago, when I bought it). :happy

:cheers

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
congrats about the M5! :D

I've only starte collecting a few months ago, but from the Maistos I've seen in stores, the quality can vary, but I've noticed that indeed, the details are very "faint". This is same with Hot Wheels too, I think in their case though, it's thick paint...

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Exactly what I think of Maisto now.......They used to make good quality for budget models, now it's seems that all they make is toys.

I started my collection with Bburago and Maistos. I almost got rid of every Bburago I have but I think I still have all the Maisto I bought up to now. Maisto is the biggest chunk of my collection, 48 models out of 236, that's 20% of my collection.

But it's been a while since I bought a Maisto. I don't even remember the last time I did. And there's a very good chance that I won't buy some anymore because it seems that all they produce now is Bling-Bling Crap. Sorry for those of you who like those kind of TOYS...because to me, that's what it is.....toys. But for me, Maisto is R.I.P.

.....But hey......it's my opinion...but I respect it! :wink

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
I don't know...
The Boxter S, 997, Cayenne Turbo "Exclusive" edition, Chrysler 300, MB 500CLS and 1953 Studebaker models that I have bought in the last few months have been fantastic additions to my collection.

Each and very one made me wonder how they could sell ity for such a low prices.

I only hope for more releases from them.
I can't wait to get my hands on a Cayman :happy :happy

I have not had that same feeling with some of the higher cost brands.

I may like to eat at a fancy steak house whenever I can but that doesn't mean that I can't buy a pizza now and again and enjoy it just as much :wink

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.