DiecastXchange Forum banner

.:MartinBond's curiosities:. Update 02/28/24 Forgotten Ferrari P3

9K views 49 replies 18 participants last post by  Craig 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello.

I'm afraid I took a longer break than planned after my initial introduction, but life gets in the way as the saying goes.

Moving on: I've recently made a change to my self-imposed restrictions on collecting. I used to buy anything I liked, then decided on 007 and Aston Martin only, then added a few of Steve McQueen's cars. For the sale of variety I've allowed myself to buy 10 cars which are on my self made list of 50 most beautiful cars ever.

So, with that out of the way, below a list of my current collection, with the latest additions added in Bold.

Last update: February 25 2024.

1/18
1931 Mercedes-Benz 770K Cabriolet F "Kaiser Wilhelm II"

1934 Aston Martin Mark 2 drophead
1934 Aston Martin LM17 "Ulster"
1939 Delage D8-120 Cabriolet Chapron (review)
1939 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 Sport Berlinetta Touring

1949 Packard Eight Club Sedan (sold)
1949 Cadillac Series 64 Club coupe "Sedanette" (review) (sold)

1950 Aston Martin DB2 Fixed-head Coupe
1950 Aston Martin DB2 Drophead
1953 Aston Martin DB3 Spyder
1953 Mercedes-Benz 300B "Adenauer"
1956 Citroën 15-6H Landaulet Chapron "de Gaulle"
1956 Jaguar XK SS
1957 Chevrolet Bel Air Convertible
1958 Aston Martin DB2/4 Convertible
1958 Edsel Citation Convertible
1958 Edsel Citation two-door hardtop
1959 Aston Martin DBR1 Le Mans 1959 (review)

1960 Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato
1960 Chrysler Dual Ghia L6.4
1960 Edsel Ranger 2-door hardtop
1961 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spider
1961 Aston Martin DB4 Series V saloon
1961 Jaguar E-type series 1 coupé
1961 Lincoln Continental SS-100-X Presidential Limousine
1963 Aston Martin DB5
1963 Studebaker Avanti
1964 Aston Martin DB5 Drophead Coupé
1964 Mercedes-Benz 600 Pullmann Landaulet
1965 Aston Martin DB5 Shooting Brake by Harold Ratford
1965 Aston Martin DB6 Saloon
1965 Lamborghini 400GT 2+2
1965 Mercedes-Benz 600 Pullmann Landaulet Queen Elizabeth II
1965 Piaggio Vespa 125
1966 Fiat 124 Sport Spider 1600
1967 Fiat Dino 2000 Coupé
1967 Jensen Interceptor Series I
1967 Toyota 2000GT Spider
1967 Volvo P1800 S ST1
1968 Mercedes-Benz 280 SE
1968 Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow HJ Mulliner Park Ward 2 door coupé (sold)
1968 Aston Martin DBS Vantage
1969 Dino Ferrari 246 GT

1970 Aston Martin DBS V8
1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1
1972 Ferrari 365 GT4 2+2 (review)
1974 Jaguar XJ-S
1974 Aston Martin V8 Lagonda
1974 Rover 3500 V8 P6
1977 Lotus Esprit S1
1977 Lotus Esprit Submarine
1978 Aston Martin V8 Volante

1981 Citroën 2CV6 Club
1981 Lotus Esprit Turbo
1981 Lotus Esprit Turbo
1983 Alfa Romeo GTV 6 2.5
1984 Chevrolet Corvette C4
1985 Citroën CX 25 Prestige Turbo (sold)
1985 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Coupé (review)
1986 Aston Martin V8 Zagato coupé
1987 Aston Martin V8 Zagato Volante
1988 Aston Martin Virage coupé

1990 Mazda Miata MX-5
1993 Aston Martin Vantage V550 (review)
1993 Aston Martin DB7 i6
1995 BMW Z3 1.9 Roadster
1997 BMW 750 iL (review)
1995 Honda CR-X Del Sol VTI
1997 BMW R1200C motorcycle
1998 Volvo C70 coupé (sold)
1999 BMW Z8 (review)
1999 Aston Martin DB7 Vantage
1999 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Le Mans

2002 Aston Martin V12 Vanquish
2002 Ford Thunderbird
2002 Jaguar XKR roadster
2003 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
2005 Aston Martin DB9 Volante
2005 Aston Martin V8 Vantage coupe
2006 Aston Martin DBS Concept
2008 Aston Martin DBR9 #009
2008 Aston Martin DBS V12
2009 Aston Martin Lola BT09-60 #007
2009 Aston Martin One-77
2009 BMW 750 Li
2009 Honda civic Type-R FN2

2010 Aston Martin Rapide
2010 Aston Martin V12 Vantage
2010 Bentley Continental Flying Star by Touring
2013 Aston Martin DB9
2013 Aston Martin Vanquish
2013 Carrozeria Touring Alfa Romeo Disco Volante
2015 Aston Martin DB10 concept
2015 Aston Martin Vulcan
2015 Carrozzeria Touring Berlinetta Lusso
2015 Jaguar C-X75
2017 Aston Martin Vantage GTE #97
2018 Alpine A110 Legende GT
2018 Aston Martin DB11 V12
2018 Auris Senat Kortezh "Putin"
2019 Aston Martin Vantage

2020 Aston Martin DBS Superleggera
2020 Aston Martin Vantage AMR #97
2020 Carrozzeria Touring Aero3
2021 Aston Martin DBX
2021 Aston Martin AMR21 #5 Azerbaijan
2021 Aston Martin V12 Speedster
2021 Aston Martin Victor
2021 Carrozzeria Touring Arese RH95

1/8
1964 Aston Martin DB5

I'm not one to focus on 1 diecast manufacturer so there's a wild variation in quality, as future pictures - also of wildly varying quality- will show.

MartinBond, out.

See less See more
#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
To start with a recurring theme: time, or lack thereof. I wasn't happy with how the DB7 initially turned out, so I'll get those pictures in once the final product is somewhat to my liking.
Moving on to more a interresting subject: a new arrival!

"Back in the day, driving a cadillac showed people you'd arrived."
The first new Cadillacs since the second world war changed both design and performance-wise. With the first appearance of tailfins, a shortened wheelbase but widened track width, the new Series 62 were meant to impress, even more so starting form the 1949 model year. The pre-war OHC V8 was replaced by a new 331 ci/5.4 litre engine producing a very respectable 160 hp, as well as weighing 200 pounds less than the old flathead V8. The Series 62 was offered as a 4 door sedan, 2 door hardtop. 2 door convertible, and the sleek 2 door Club Coupe, affectionately nicknamed "Sedanette".

It's this body style that has struck me ever since I first saw it, and I consider the "Sedanettes" to be one of the most stylish post-war car designs. The seemingly endless bonnett, sweeping roof line down to the ever so subtle tailfins is the stuff of dreams for me.
So, when I found out there was a scale model of a '49 Club Coupe, I knew I had to have one, started searching vendors and Ebay, and I'm happy to announce I managed to get one at a great price. I could go on for hours, but I'll let the pictures do the talking.

1949 Cadillac Series 62 Club Coupe "Sedanette" - Best Of Show

This is my first Best Of Show, and I'm very, very impressed. The finish of the midnight black paint is spotless, the chrome details are superb, as is the "wooden" dash and details.
Though the year is only 4 months old, this may very well be my personal "model of the year".

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for the kind words gentlemen, I'm very pleased with this one.

Moving on:
By 1985, "Britain's first supercar" as the Aston Martin V8 Vantage was affectionately called, was getting on a bit. With it's design roots in the late 60's in the shape of the straigth-six Aston Martin DBS, the V8 was the single mainstream Aston Martin for almost 20 years. With a healthy 390 horsepower and a 0-60 time of 5.3 seconds, the Vantage was - and still is - a very quick car, and with a top speed of 270 kmh / 170 mph you won't be easily overtaken on the motorway either. Combining brute power with the finest leather, and wood trimming, this Aston is one of the prime examples of the brand's two faces. Muscular, sleek and powerful, being able to be both very comfortable and very engaging.
Having lived in the shadow of it's arguably more beautiful and more desireable older ánd younger sisters, The Aston Martin V8 Vantage had been a very unloved subject in both the real and the model car world until recently. Already having Cult Scale's DBS V8 and GT Spirit's V8 Vantage Volante, and with AutoArt's high prices, this one was very low on my wanted list, untill the well-known offer I couldn't refuse came along. This time from fellow forum member Maarten Mercedes, I shook his digital hand and got myself both a red and a green one, as both looked extroardinary and I figured I'd decide when I had them in my hands. As you can see below, I went with red. I don't have many bright coloured cars in my collection, and I like the Johnny English vibe it has, though his has a beige interior and different wheels.
Anyway, let's get on with it shall we?

1985 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Coupé - AutoArt

Having been on a composite-streak as of late, it's a joy to have another fully opening diecast again. The details are very good from things like seatbelts to trivial gimmicks as the replicated underbonnett light, and spec-wise the bright red paint almost screaming at you combined with the subdued black interior really matches the car's real-life split personality. Another very fine job by AutoArt, it shows they can still produce gems if they want to.

#13 ·
Great addition and captured well by your photos! I haven't seen that many pictures of this model in red, but I do like the connection to Johnny English.

How does it compare to Cult Scale and GT Spirit and what kind of pricing premium do you think it deserves over those two? I actually just ordered one and can't wait to receive mine.

#14 ·
Thanks for the kind words gentlemen!
How does it compare to Cult Scale and GT Spirit and what kind of pricing premium do you think it deserves over those two? I actually just ordered one and can't wait to receive mine.
The Cult Scale is definitely the runner-up, it's a bit lacklustre on detailing and QC isn't that great.
GT vs AUTOart is a very tough one. As I'm more looking for "shelve presence" than features, they're very, very close. My GT spirit is a volante, so the "downside" of not having a fully opening models are pretty much gone. The paintwork on both is great, so is the detailing. The GT is quite a bit heavier and feels a lot less "fragile" compared to other scale models. The shutlines on the AUTOart are very good, though, and don't distract from the overall feel. For those who hate resin or non-opening diecast it's a great buy, but for those just looking to get a good looking model without the features, the GT will do very nicely. Taking into account the extra cost of an opening model I'd say a price difference of 50-70,- would be fair, but as I got my GT for 45 and the AUTOart for 80 I'm not complaining either way ;)

#15 ·
Well, I guess I owe myself an apology.
I registered here with the idea to get in the loop on new releases, comment on other people's collections and new releases, and to keep a digital garage of my own collection. Sadly, the last part failed.
Bigly.

But, in an effort to not dwell on the past for too long, I'm going go do a small recap of 2020, and then move on to some exciting stuff.

[ 2020 RECAP ]
Bought: 29
Sold: 12
Lost: 4
total 31-12: 51

The tab "lost" may seem a little strange, but I was forced to say goodbye to a few models after my display cabinet came crashing down on a painfully big part of my collection:

I've since re-bought most of the cars damaged, but there are still 4 that have not been replaced as of today.
Anyway, let's leave that "2020 in 1 picture" behind.

Part of my "resolution" is to appreciate my collection more often, which means taking more models out of their boxes/displays and taking more pictures.
With that said, I've got a model lined up for some quick shots that's probably the most sentimental one I have, as well as a very odd one within the themes of my collection...

MartinBond, out.

#21 ·
Hello again, it's been a bit of a rough time getting everything sorted, but I'm hoping I'll be back permanently this time.

The above cabinet crash was a result of an accident, someone slipped and fell against the display, causing the top shelf to slide out of it's mounting and cause a domino effect all the way down. I'm lucky that the insurance company covered about 80% of the value and I managed to sell some of the less damaged models on for parts, so all in all the cost if the whole ordeal were manageable.

Since my last post I have replaced all but one of the models. I took the opportunity to "re-scope" my collection, and say goodbye to some "pretty-ok" niche models within the collection that haven't been replaced due to a shift in interest. The only one that will not be replaced and will likely remain "the one that got away" is the HotWheels DB10. I had ordered a replacement twice, and both came with missing decals, paint chips or other damage. Add this to the fact that the model itself is already pretty bad and being sold by the so-called 'attic dealers' at twice the already extortionate MSRP, I am going to buy a silver 2019 Vantage and keep it at that.

Now, on to better stuff: a new model! It's a purchase that will probably end up with the 'Model of the Year' title. A car that made me fall in love with the brand as a 12-year-old, and is still very high on my affordable dream car list.

In 1974 one of the most beloved Alfa Romeos ever, the Alfetta GT, was introduced. Based on the Alfetta sedan, the GT received a 3-door hatchback body by brilliant designer Giorgetto Giugiaro. in 1976, the Alfetta GT became a model series, with a new 1600 engine for the GT, and a 2.0 unit for the Alfetta GTV, along with some exterior updates. In 1980 the range gets a major update: the 1600 GT disappears, with the car now simply known as Alfa Romeo GTV 2.0. Appearance-wise there are some bigger changes: the small chrome bumpers are replaced by plastic ones that give the car a somewhat "fuller" appearance, the double taillights are replaced by single units, and the then-considered huge 15" wheels. Later that same year, the GTV gets its "party piece": a modified version of the 2.5 liter six-cylinder engine from Alfa's luxurious 5-series competitor, the Sei. To accommodate this considerably larger engine, the GTV 6 gets the well-known "bonnett bulge" with plastic insert in the hood. It's this engine variant with a very respectable 156 hp that makes most Alfa enthusiasts drool. Not only did the GTV 6 drive like a dream, the creamy, full bellow from the V6 engine is often described as a one of the best engine noises ever.

Fast-forward to movie theaters in the summer of 1983. In that year's Bond film, Octopussy, Roger Moore's 007 attempts to warn a US Air Force base by telephone of impending danger. Finally arriving at an (occupied) telephone box, he sees the car of the lady on the phone and gets an idea: Instead of getting the woman off the phone, he decides to 'borrow' the car of the neat lady to visit the base in person. However, this is not appreciated by the owner and the local 5-0, who immediately give chase. A race through Germany and against the clock follows, with the GTV 6 providing one of the highlights of the film thanks to its glorious soundtrack and superb handling. In the end, Bond reaches the base júst in time, and disaster is averted. Whether this would have been possible without Alfa's finest offering remains a question, but he couldn't have done it in a more flamboyant way...

The model itself was completely unknown to me until a few months ago. AutoArt has made a GTV 2.0 in multiple colors and Solido has the later GTV 6 with more plastic decoration for sale, but the proper "Octopussy-Alfa" was never released. Until I was tipped by Rapide66 on Laudoracing's GTV 6. This small-scale manufacturer makes nice resin models of obscure and less obscure Italian cult cars, and had released the right color combination in 2018, limited to just 250 pieces. I started looking around, and it was once again my forum friend Maarten Mercedes who managed to find one. The deal was made, and 2 weeks later I finally had one of my favorite Bond cars ever. Although it is not an official 007 release, it is identical to the film car except for the license plates, and for that reason certainly deserves a place in the Bond collection.

Alfa Romeo GTV 6 2.5 "Octopussy" - Laudoracing

The model is somewhat similar to Ottomobile. The packaging is exactly the same, the details even slightly better. The shape is good, the paintwork is super sleek, the rims perfect and the overall impression is not inferior to models from much more expensive resin manufacturers. In my case, 1 door handle is mounted a bit crooked, but I want to fix that myself. It's my first Laudoracing, but if they maintain this quality it certainly won't be my last.

#22 ·
Congrats on acquiring this piece, which for you is probably a must given your fondness for the Roger Moore era of 007. My pleasure to have played a part in your collection. Based on your photos, the quality of this model indeed looks similar to Otto and the spec is quite accurate as well. I think this brand is much easier to source in Europe than in Asia, where I couldn't find a retailer. I really like what you did with the base of the model, with that cobblestone flooring.

Regarding the HWE DB10, I share the same feelings given the lack of details and panel gaps. That is why I also bought the AutoArt 2019 Vantage in Skyfall Silver, which I also prefer to the DB10 in 1:1 form. I'm really looking forward to the AutoArt DBS Superleggera in Magnetic Silver.

#23 ·
With Octopussy being my second favourite Roger Moore film and it scoring very highly on my overall list, I just had to have one. The base is actually a pre-made display with see-through cover that I got for free a few years ago, it just happened to match perfectly with the setting in the film, so it now has a prominent place in my study.

Reg. the DB10, I'm still undecided. Yes, a Skyfall Silver Vantage is a very good match for a DB10, but being an Aston ánd a Bond-aficionado I'm afraid I'll keep looking for a model of the latter anyway, and AutoArt's Ming Blue with semi-polished wheels and chrome trim is just exquisite. Choices, choices...

#26 · (Edited)
First of all: my best wishes to all in this new year, may it bring success, good fortune, health and enjoyment to everyone.
Now, another year over means it's time for another recap collection-wise. First, some statistics:

2021:
CARS BOUGHT
CARS SOLD
CARS ADDED TO PERSONAL COLLECTION
CARS BOUGHT FROM 2021 WISHLIST
Spark - Aston Martin DBR1 '59
TopSpeed Models - Aston Martin DBX
Spark - Aston Martin Vantage AMR '19

2022:
CARS ON WISHLIST
AutoArt - Aston Martin DBS Superleggera
GT Spirit - Aston Martin Vantage V550
Norev - Mazda Miata MX-5
Top Marques - Spyker C8 Aileron
Norev - Volvo 1800S

I have unexpectedly added some cars that I thought would be on my "regret not buying" list forever, and some other long-awaited models as well, so it's definitely been a year of quality over quantity for me. And as far as resolutions go, mine is to enjoy my collection more than just buying models, looking at them for a week or so and then going to the next addition. So with that in mind, I have given myself the goal to photograph and share at least one model a month, in order to finally start and build my digital "garage" so to speak. As a part of that resolution, I am going to be uploading my first model as soon as this first week of the year, so stay tuned for something very special, very soon.

MartinBond, out.

#27 · (Edited)
As I said, I’d be back soon.

And what better day to return for an Aston collector called Martin than today?

January 15th, 1913 is the day engineer Robert Bamford and businessman Lionel Walker Birch Martin shook hands and created the foundation for what we know today as Aston Martin Lagonda. I don’t think I have to tell anyone here about the many, many rough spots the brand in all it’s shapes has gone through over the years, but the most important part is that they are still here today to blow out 109 candles!

So with that, I’d like to share one of my favourite models which was also cause for celebration, as well as a little “birthday treat” at the end.

Beginning in 1956, Aston Martin built their latest contender for the World Sportscar Championship, the DBR1. After 3 years of mostly gearbox-related issues, 1959 turned out to be the year for Aston Martin as they won the World Sportscar Championship, with 3 back-to-back wins in the 24 hours of Le Mans, the Nürburgring ánd the International Tourist Trophy, a feat only done once before, by Ferrari. The DBR1 holds the record for most valuable British car ever, with chassis DBR1/1 selling for 22,5 million dollars in 2017.

The model is by Spark, shown how it was raced by Carrol Shelby and Roy Salvadori at Le Mans. As a bit of a hat-tip, I’ve photographed it in the style of forum member Maarten Mercedes’ instagram page: Coffee Table Modelcars.

Vehicle Land vehicle Car Tire Wheel

Automotive parking light Vehicle Liquid Car Wheel

Vehicle Tire Wheel Red russian Liquid

And, as a small bonus, a “family portrait” of all the David Brown-named Astons, and all the Aston Martin models I have (had) as of 08-2021. I sold the silver DB11 to a good friend and added a blue 2019 Vantage since, as well as a green V550 and a grey DBS Superleggera which are on pre-order.

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive parking light Wheel

Car Tire Vehicle Wheel Land vehicle

Happy Birthday, Aston Martin: bottom’s up!

MartinBond, out.

#28 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, a new month means a new post.

In one of my previous uploads I talked about the long life of the first generation Aston Martin V8 Vantage. After many, many delays and postponements, I can finally show a model of the woefully underrepresented replacement.

In 1988, the ancient V8 saloon was finally replaced by the first “new” Aston Martin in decades: the Virage. Still a rear-wheel-drive, front-engined, V8 coupé on a steel frame, the look of the car that would represent the Aston Martin brand was completely new and very 90’s, with softer, cleaner lines and updated performance. The Virage was very well-received by enthusiasts keen to buy a new Aston for the first time in years, but by the end of 1992, sales were once again declining. So, Aston Martin did what they often do when the times get rough: they go all-out on their new creation.

Starting out with a Virage, the car was almost completely redesigned. From an aggressive front splitter, new wheels, big side vents all the way to a set of new quad taillights, everything about the new car showed there was something different about it. And that something was found under the bonnet. By fitting not one but two(!) Eaton superchargers onto the reworked V8 engine, the Vantage produced what was then considered a mind-blowing 550 horsepower and 745 Nms of torque, making it the most powerful production engine in the world. The 0-60 sprint was over in 4,6 seconds, and Vantage would carry on towards the magical number of 186 mph or 300 km/h, with some non-official tests even recording 200 mph - 321km/h! With all examples being issued with a manual six-speed transmission, the new Vantage was not only the fastest Aston Martin road car ever, but also one of the most engaging to drive. While the competition even back in the early nineties was superior in terms of equipment and advanced technology, Aston Martin proved once again that they were still very much a force to be reckoned with.

The model is made by GT Spirit, and it represents an early 1993-1995 V550 Vantage with squared headlights and side mirrors borrowed from the Citroën CX. Though quite a lot of these models seem to have paint issues, this one is near perfect, The AM Racing Green colour is beautifully chosen, and paired with a nice tan interior with wooden trim makes for a very elegant spec on what is really a supercar in disguise.

1993 Aston Martin Vantage V550 – GT Spirit
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Tire Vehicle

Tire Car Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

And together with it's predecessor:
Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Hood

I'm extremely chuffed with this one, as it's been on my "will somebody please make this in 1/18" list for years.

MartinBond, out.