DiecastXchange Forum banner

Mazda 787B

2K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  Road Runner 72 
#1 ·
Everyone knows all about this one and has seen it a million times.

Now its my turn to show it :giggle

I probably have a different view about this car than most owners of it, I am not a big fan of the 1:1 and i wasn't super excited about buying this car unless I found a good deal on it.
I was very interested to see what AUTOart's first trip into high detail would look like and that was at least half of my reason for getting one.
$139 is a heck of a lot of money for a diecast so I was expecting a lot from this car.
Would it be twice as good as the Porsche 917L? Twice better than the Toyota TS020 GT-One? The C5R?
45% better than the M/C Porsche 956?

Well, it is better than all those cars, by how much? I guess that is for the buyer to decide. The 787 does have quite a bit of moulded in and painted details along with the use of a bunch of photo etched parts. Some of the features are the best ever seen on an Auto Art but I am somehow left feeling that the value is not there. I would have to say it deserves a $99 retail at best.
Don't get me wrong, its a great car but the price is very hard to swalow.
Like I said, I would never have owned this car if it were not for a great price. I got one of the pre production samples that is un-numbered and came without a box.
The wing was a bit out of alignment and I didn't get the "hupcaps" or the COA.
All stuff I don't need anyway.

So for the $27 I paid for this model I think i did ok, I just wouldn't have wanted to spend $100+ for it as I think I would have been disapointed.

Attachments

See less See more
G
#3 ·
:lol :lol :lol

Jeff, I think you did a poor job of rubbing it in. I say you revise your post make sure everyone knows you paid $27 for it(shipped).

I am sure some are paying $27 just for shipping alone :scared

Congrats on the new addition.

#4 ·
Well, to be fair it was $34 Shipped!!!
But I wouldn't want to rub it in :giggle

I seem to do pretty well with Le Mans winner by being patient.
AUTOart 917 #23 $30
UT Mac #59 $23
AUTOart Bentley $38
And of course the Mazda for $27

You just have to look around and get lucky once in awhile :giggle

#8 ·
So, no C of A...how do I know that's a real AUTOart and not some cheap knockoff? Huh? Huh?

Congratulations, Jeff - I imagine that will be the best deal anyone on the forum gets all year!

#9 ·
I have to bow down to anyone who can score a deal like this!
You are the man Jeff!! Thanks for your honest opinions about the shortcomings of the car too. It's nice to hear your thoughts amidst much of the "hype" around the model.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
In a turn of events, I've decided against purchasing the 787B. I flipped a coin as to whether I would probably get it or probably not get it but still think about it, and the coin said that I should probably get it. On the other hand, I thought long and hard and came to the conclusion that this model doesn't have any personal significance to me, and its drivers aren't all that well known to me (maybe if it was driven by Michael Schumacher and it had some finish line detailing), and I realized that there are many other models such as cheap $25 to $50 models on Ebay of Formula 1 cars or other supercars like Lamborghini which are much cheaper and mean a lot more to me, so $150 for something that means even less is just a no in the end.

I realize the only reason I was really excited about it is because I saw photos of it last year and it looked really detailed and everyone around here got it, but just way too much money. This model is just like the Sauber C9 by Exoto to me. It may have won the Le Mans and it may be legendary, but its super high price and not enough personal significance is a no-no.

I'm gonna settle for racing with the 787B on Le Mans in GT4 with my Logitech DFP wheel. Did I mention that GT4 also has the Sauber C9 #63. :tease

G
#12 ·
MustangSVT said:
I realize the only reason I was really excited about it is because I saw photos of it last year and it looked really detailed and everyone around here got it, but just way too much money. This model is just like the Sauber C9 by Exoto to me. It may have won the Le Mans and it may be legendary, but its super high price and not enough personal significance is a no-no.
Now we're talking. You're very honest with yourself, and for that, you will enjoy your collection much more because it's made up of vehicles you love, not obtained through hypes. :nicejob :nicejob :nicejob

If only I can be so disciplined. :help

#16 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
:exactly :goodpost

Very important step in your collecting habits. :nicejob
Lots of models get bought because of hype or because "everyone else has it" and after the "new car smell" has worn off, you start wondering why you have it.
That is how I got mine, some other collector realized he just didn't "feel" the car so he sold it.
Lucky for me he tried selling it at an auction that gets very little interest. Sometimes you can pick an apple off a cherry tree and that is what I did here.

As I mentined, this car was not on my must have list so it was easy to wait for a good deal to come along. They always do eventually.

#14 ·
$27....WOW....you got yourself quite a bargain!!!! :nicejob

Congratulation for finding this low-price 787B! Your pictures are great! :coolpics

The engine is amazing along with the amount of overall details!!!! :eek:mg

#17 ·
That was a great deal Jeff. I think anyone would buy it at that price!

I have to say that this car is significant to me because I collect Le Mans winners, and I plan to buy it soon at the best price I can find. I would like to think that I haven't been caught up in the 'hype' about this car, and have it on my list purely because it forms a part of my theme. Nevertheless, I am excited to see how much Autoart have done for the premium price. I hope the hype hasn't got my hopes up too high. From the pictures I've seen I don't think I'll be disappointed though.

#20 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
And knowing your collecting habits I would say that this is a perfect car for you to add. :cheers

There are tons of reasons to get this car and 99% of them are great ones, the one that is not a good reason is the one that Mustang SVT mentioned. Not really being into the car but wanting it because others have it is probably not the way to happiness. Plus it is fairly expensive.

And I think you will be very happy, especially after the Mac :giggle

Matter of fact, I would recommend that this should be your next car!

G
#19 ·
Nice one Jeff...great price indeed :nicejob

Its not a car I have any interest in , its awful livery and its weird looks mean it never will be , so in my opinion you still paid too much for it :giggle

The Mazda lovers will be sending you hate mail soon :lol

#25 ·
Congrats Jeff, and like everyone else, I'm envious of the deal you got.

I'm really on the edge with this model :confused and your comments are quite refreshing from all the hype. I would like to get it as it goes with the Le Mans winners theme, it appears to be supurbly detailed for the price and, like you, I'm very curious about AUTOart's work on this model. On the other hand, it's expensive, I think the livery is very unattactive and I really don't like all those pins on long wires.

Such are the dilemas of this hobby! But if you think it's worth $100, I very well may wait untill the price drops.

Thanks for your thoughts. :cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.