DiecastXchange Forum banner
661 - 680 of 687 Posts

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #661 ·
The 1:12 collection is growing and so I needed to add some shelves into the cabinet!
I have 26 inside the cabinet at the moment, 4 Tamiya semi-assembled kits still in their boxes and 5 models currently with PeteSpec being modified.
Here is the current state of the cabinet - apologies for the graininess, it is just a quick phone snap....

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #664 ·
A Fantastic collection and so happy to see them on display, something i can aspire to one day soon. More photos please of the 1/12 like you have done with the 1/18 in the Dio sets you have(If they will fit)
Thanks Daz - this collection wouldn't be what it is without your knowledge and insight/advice, so thanks!
I have sold off all my 1:18 related diorama stuff so on the lookout for something in 1:12. I've had an idea for a cool showroom type setting but its just finding the time to get stuff done these days

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
WOW that's a cabinet to admire!
I guess you have to slow down for now, or you will run out of space, again..
Thanks Nick!
LOL - don't joke!!! I didn't realise just how many I had until I did a stock take after adding the shelves the other day. Luckily there are only so many 1:12 models one can buy in comparison to 1:18 and I'm working hard to only buy what I truly love. The next model on my list is the upcoming release of the Schuco Mercedes 300SL in blue with tan interior to match my SLS. Now that I've got the DB5 and Huayra there isn't a whole lot more that I'm desperate for - perhaps the Kyosho Samurai Nissan Skyline R34 in silver would be after that, but it would need repainting something crazy and have a carbon bonnet as the plain silver just looks boooooring

We're also hoping to extend our house/move to a bigger one in the not too distant future so a home office is high on my list of wants....then I can finally have a space to call my own

·
Registered
611 Posts
WOW that's a cabinet to admire!
I guess you have to slow down for now, or you will run out of space, again..
Thanks Nick!
LOL - don't joke!!! I didn't realise just how many I had until I did a stock take after adding the shelves the other day. Luckily there are only so many 1:12 models one can buy in comparison to 1:18 and I'm working hard to only buy what I truly love. The next model on my list is the upcoming release of the Schuco Mercedes 300SL in blue with tan interior to match my SLS. Now that I've got the DB5 and Huayra there isn't a whole lot more that I'm desperate for - perhaps the Kyosho Samurai Nissan Skyline R34 in silver would be after that, but it would need repainting something crazy and have a carbon bonnet as the plain silver just looks boooooring

We're also hoping to extend our house/move to a bigger one in the not too distant future so a home office is high on my list of wants....then I can finally have a space to call my own

[/quote]Haha lol
Yes that Schuco 300 SL will match perfectly with the SLS
So you're just waiting for new releases then? But are you not in the same position than you were before?
You switched over to 1:12 for that reason, right?

I don't know what I would do if my "bucketlist" was finished.
A place for yourself and all the models on display is a must have if you move or extend!

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Haha lol
So you're just waiting for new releases then? But are you not in the same position than you were before?

A place for yourself and all the models on display is a must have if you move or extend!
The main reason I felt I had to sell off all my 1:18s was because there were far too many new releases coming out in the form of super/hypercars that I would have felt obliged to collect to keep my collection up to date. A lot of those would likely have come from AUTOart, whose prices keep going up but quality and details are not keeping pace!
I also had 110+ models on display and although it looked cool to have a jam packed cabinet it became impossible for me to enjoy my collection. There was just too much there for me to look at and a part of me felt there was also too much money invested/value sitting inside that display case.

With there being far less 1:12 releases each year, they're surprisingly well priced when you compare what you get versus a 1:18 model and they can pack in so much more detail as they're larger, 1:12 was 100% the right choice to go for. I've spent pretty much the last year building up the core collection - models that I MUST simply have in my collection for me to consider it a 'collection', rather than just a haphazard display of models I could get my hands on. I am so very close to achieving that status and I'm at the stage where I can just walk into the room and take a quick glance over and admire the display - being massive models makes that much easier lol.

It is too easy for people to get sucked in to the rush of collecting the latest model that appears online, scared that they're going to miss out and have to pay an even more inflated price later on. There is also a 'keeping up with the Joneses' mentality for some people which can lead into large debts. Mentally I just couldn't deal with all that crap anymore and just want to enjoy the hobby. And I have definitely felt better mentally since the sell-off! I know a few other collectors who feel exactly the same way I do and through my experiences a couple have even followed in my footsteps!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Haha lol

The main reason I felt I had to sell off all my 1:18s was because there were far too many new releases coming out in the form of super/hypercars that I would have felt obliged to collect to keep my collection up to date. A lot of those would likely have come from AUTOart, whose prices keep going up but quality and details are not keeping pace!
I also had 110+ models on display and although it looked cool to have a jam packed cabinet it became impossible for me to enjoy my collection. There was just too much there for me to look at and a part of me felt there was also too much money invested/value sitting inside that display case.

With there being far less 1:12 releases each year, they're surprisingly well priced when you compare what you get versus a 1:18 model and they can pack in so much more detail as they're larger, 1:12 was 100% the right choice to go for. I've spent pretty much the last year building up the core collection - models that I MUST simply have in my collection for me to consider it a 'collection', rather than just a haphazard display of models I could get my hands on. I am so very close to achieving that status and I'm at the stage where I can just walk into the room and take a quick glance over and admire the display - being massive models makes that much easier lol.

It is too easy for people to get sucked in to the rush of collecting the latest model that appears online, scared that they're going to miss out and have to pay an even more inflated price later on. There is also a 'keeping up with the Joneses' mentality for some people which can lead into large debts. Mentally I just couldn't deal with all that crap anymore and just want to enjoy the hobby. And I have definitely felt better mentally since the sell-off! I know a few other collectors who feel exactly the same way I do and through my experiences a couple have even followed in my footsteps!
[/quote]I know what you mean. It is better to stick by one brand or one scale. If you go for the 1:12's, you have less choice. But the quality is better, like you mentioned.
Just buy what you like, and what you really want to be displayed at your home.
That is why my focus is Lamborghini, not only because I love their models. I like other ones too, like Mclaren or Pagani,...
But if you want to follow all the models that are/were released, you just can't keep up. And like you said, you just buy everything, because if you don't, you pay double the price after a few years, in some cases...
And for me personally, I just buy the best model in the range.
I don't need any color, but just the best quality. And I always end up with resin models.
But the SVJ is probably an exception, I think I'm gonna end up with 7 or 8 of them

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #669 ·
But the SVJ is probably an exception, I think I'm gonna end up with 7 or 8 of them
I was exactly like this with the Veyron - I had almost all the variants AUTOart made and a few of the Minichamps ones

·
Super Moderator
13,727 Posts
Nothing really more to add to the above statements, well said both of you Guys. The way the model collecting is going many will be choosing to focus more in one or two directions. Love the idea you have a possibility of expansion, Chaim or a move to a bigger home.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #671 ·
Nothing really more to add to the above statements, well said both of you Guys. The way the model collecting is going many will be choosing to focus more in one or two directions. Love the idea you have a possibility of expansion, Chaim or a move to a bigger home.
I'll be building an annex for your collection, seeing as I'll be inheriting them anyway

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Holy wow that cabinet has some eye candy!!!! That R35 is still a favorite and a gem to see when shared.

Totally agree, its hard to keep up with 1:18 releases. The companies popping up now are like rabbits and very hard to keep track of. I know I have "sort of slowed down" but seeing your collection of 1:12 I entirely see the wisdom behind collecting 1:12. It's a beautiful collection regardless!!

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Wow, that is a impressive collection you've amassed, and you only started on 1:12 not too long ago, is that right? Lovely to see them all on display!

And the CLK is fantastic, more photos of it, please!
Thanks! Yes, I started collecting 1:12 models at the beginning of March 2020, so just had my first anniversary LOL

I have a bunch of pics of the CLK I need to get round to editing but day-to-day life has caught up with me at the moment.....

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #676 ·
Do you have a Favourite out of them ?
I would have to say Veyron! As I'm sure you can tell by my avatar, it's my favourite car and in 1:12 AUTOart did an amazing job on this model 🤤

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #679 ·
Finally got round to completing the photo editing on the 1:12 AUTOart Mercedes CLK GTR AMG D2.
This model is absolutely jam-packed with details, I think I'll just let the pics do the talking!

661 - 680 of 687 Posts