DiecastXchange Forum banner
61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I don't usually bother with F1 cars, especially sealed ones, but I might think about a Peterson Lotus '79.

A lot of people talk about hearing about Jim Clark's or Ayrton Senna's (I remember that one, of course) death, but being in the middle of those two really, Peterson's death hit me really hard as a teenager.

He should have been champion in the '79, but dutifully played No 2 to Andretti - Next year should have been his, but sadly it wasn't to be...

M

·
Administrator
34,980 Posts
I think most of their older ones look quite cheap. As normal, some sellers want almost double what others do for them, so shop around. an MCG model for £80 delivered is too much

I know they make different models, but if you were to compare them to CMR, CMR kick their arse.

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
Unless the MCG is originally from an earlier manufacturer, it will be sealed.
And such models I have from them fit into this description.
And yes, they are probably the most crude of sealed diecasts.
But - companies are improving their efforts as competition hots up.
Solido releases cost less than MCG, and the newer stuff is way better than many older such models.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
i consider MCG to be at the low end of the sealed diecast, a notch or two below Minichamps and KK-scale sealed diecast and in some instances I actually find KK-scale to be better than Minichamps. Sadly their RRP don't reflect the overall quality especially a better built Solido with operating doors still priced lower at 2/3 of a MCG price tag. However they do make some subjects which I am interested in. I recently bought the BMW E12 and 2002 Turbo. They look fine on shelves but upon closer inspection, the 2002 Turbo has minor QC issues. In hindsight maybe I should have went for the sealed Minichamps one which cost slightly more.

I finally acquired two CMR after many years of staring at them on photos on the web sadly I feel somewhat underwhelmed maybe it is because they being the earlier releases (275 GTB and 250 GTO) The paint and exterior details are fine but somehow I don't feel as impressed compares to say when I unbox Ottomobile or GTS model.

·
Administrator
34,980 Posts
Wouldn't you just know it!
Otto release the Sierra in black, and now MCG are getting in on the act.
In fairness, the lack of bonnet louvres means this is a 'rear wheel drive' version.
To be available in this odd grey shade, plus white and black....

Out now,

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
Three variants of the group 5 DRM Zakspeed Capri.
Sealed metal and likely to be more crude than the Minichamps - which was a very good effort indeed.
If my information is correct, these can all be the early version with the narrow bonnet cooling slats.
Since none of the suggested cars had underbody ground effect tunnels, these should not be present.

·
Administrator
34,980 Posts
It's still a crazy looking car!! I love them!!

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
More classic DRM subjects, this time the 935 version which has been overlooked in 1/18th scale.
Apologies if this car was produced by an obscure or long gone manufacturer.

In 1977 The factory Porsche team ran a car with bodywork different from the cars available to privateer teams.
It wasn't until around 1980 that the body style reappeared, this time courtesy of Joest.
Three versions are slated to be the first releases.
https://www.modellauto18.de/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=935+j (ignore the Solido version!)
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Registered
1,652 Posts

Photo of the real thing at Daytona, 1980 - You can see it's quite a different shape to other 935s already produced in 1:18 scale.

And here's the D&W livery Capri (I couldn't picture the livery, so I looked it up too :) )

Looks quite nice, it'll be interesting to see how these turn out.

M

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
In your Capri photo above you might recognise the circuit is the then recently rebuilt Spa Francorchamps.
1980 was the only year the DRM competed at this glorious circuit during the group 5 rule set that I know of.
A nerd like me will point to the narrow bonnet slats that the earliest versions of the Capri ran with.
The excellent Minichamps versions all have the wider slats, so their model of the 1979 Mampe car is wrong
When Klaus Ludwig had a new car for the over 2 litre class that year, the wider openings arrived.
Now we need someone to produce the original (1981) Zakspeed IMSA Ford Mustang.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
In your Capri photo above you might recognise the circuit is the then recently rebuilt Spa Francorchamps.
1980 was the only year the DRM competed at this glorious circuit during the group 5 rule set that I know of.
A nerd like me will point to the narrow bonnet slats that the earliest versions of the Capri ran with.
The excellent Minichamps versions all have the wider slats, so their model of the 1979 Mampe car is wrong
When Klaus Ludwig had a new car for the over 2 litre class that year, the wider openings arrived.
Now we need someone to produce the original (1981) Zakspeed IMSA Ford Mustang.
It is, indeed, Spa, although I didn't realise it was only just rebuilt in 1980.

I also didn't know enough about the Capris (I sadly never saw a DRM race) having different sized bonnet slats and I have the incorrect Mampe car, but I can live with that as it's my favourite livery for the Capri :)

The IMSA Mustang would definitely be a great add - There are a lot of interesting IMSA cars to choose from.

M

61 - 80 of 99 Posts