DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Here's my latest review after a long absence. This one's for the McLaren F1 by UT Models.

PAINT
The application of the paint is practically faultless - there are no unpainted areas or inconsistencies in the thickness of the paint. The metal sections are difficult to tell apart from the plastic ones. For a model of more nearly six years old, the paint is exceptionally good.
8/8

EXTERIOR

Although the model looks smaller than it should be, the scale is just right - the 1:1 McLaren F1 is a rather small car. The proportions are accurate and the panel gaps are pretty tight. It tips the scales at a reasonable 615 grams. The front air intakes aren't perforated but some effort is made with using black plastic to give the impression of hollowness. The headlights are well replicated with separate pieces of plastic simulating the lamp housing and although the foglights/indicators are separate from the bodywork, the plastic simulating them is painted to represent the indicators. The side repeaters are painted on as well. In addition, the indicators are the wrong way round - the indicators point to the sides of the car and the foglights point towards the centre; this should be the other way round. Although the front compartment of the model doesn't open, the small vent at the top of it is perforated and the air intake on the roof is hollow to an extent while the single windshield wiper is nicely replicated.

The beetle-wing doors are fully windowed although the vents on behind the fenders aren't perforated but rather simulated with black paint. The sidepods don't open but the fuel filler cap is very well defined and made separately from the bodywork. The grille on the panel over the exhaust has real perforations and it can be raised to show the exhausts. The speed-deployable rear spoiler can also be adjusted and it will stay in place.

The taillights are very well done with all of them (brake lights, indicators, reverse light) being represented with separate coloured plastic pieces. In addition, all of the grilles at the back of the model have genuine perforations.
6/8

INTERIOR

The beetle-wing doors open to show a reasonably well done interior although the doors are so heavy that they fall back down. Other than the dials, there are no stickers to be seen - the controls are all finely moulded and painted. The steering wheel is well detailed as well with detail extending as far showing the six small fastening points to the as well as the ribbed shroud around the steering column. The pedals are extraordinarily finely replicated - the detail would have seemed out of place six years ago on a model that only cost $30 at the time. It can be argued that the detail for the pedals is better than that on some of today's AUTOart or Kyosho models. The twin rear view mirrors are correctly shown too. As expected with a model this old, there is no carpet detail to speak of. There are really just two criticisms for the model - the seatbelts are moulded in to the seats rather than being separate and the interior roof is exposed.
5/8

WHEELS & BRAKES

The wheels are very well simulated on this model and included the gold central locking nut with the F1 logo in the centre of it. The brake discs are quite well done and although the "holes" simulating drilling are just painted, they look quite convincing. Although the brake discs rotate with the wheels there are no brake calipers to speak of. In addition the tyres are unbranded.
4/6

ENGINE & UNDERCARRIAGE DETAIL

The partly transparent engine cover can be raised to show the engine detail. The BMW V12 is very nicely replicated with fine mouldings and painting on the cam covers. The two windows either side of the massive airbox are properly transparent while it could have been easy to make the mistake of not making them transparent. The exhausts are nicely replicated too and can be seen under the panel just behind the engine cover.

The exhausts lead to the tail pipes which aren't completely hollow. The cross brace across the rear suspension is well defined and has proper perforations. There are really just two criticisms for the engine bay detailing - the wires are moulded in to the engine bay and there is no gold paint to simulate the gold lining in the engine bay but compared to faults in other models, these are minor. The undercarriage detail is minimal - only seams and rivets can be seen - but this is perfectly realistic as the real McLaren F1 has a flat underbody to aid its sophisticated aerodynamics.
6/8

COMPETITION
Maisto made their own 1/18 McLaren F1 some time before UT did and Maisto's is vastly inferior to UT's version in terms of detail and accuracy. The only thorn that Maisto's version puts into UT's side is that it is selling for much less on the second hand market. With that said, UT's version is much better detailed so the price difference can be justified to an extent.
5/6

DESIRABILITY
This is one of the most desirable 1/18 models on the market - it can be argued that only the Papaya Orange F1 LM is more desirable - mainly because it represents what is still the fastest production car in the world (for now). Day by day, it is becoming rarer and rarer and more and more expensive - one would be lucky to get one in good condition for less than $100 US.
5/6

OVERALL
Back in its day, this was the probably the best detail that you could find in a 1/18 model and although detail has improved enormously since UT ceased production, UT's F1 still looks very good alongside even AUTOart's supercar models. I'd strongly recommend this model to practically any collector, especially if you can find it at a reasonable price.
Total Score - 39/50

© 2004 www.DiecastXchange.com All rights reserved

Review added DX Model Review Database - 12/10/04

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Great piece Darren! :cheers
I didn't know that the street car had this small panel behind the engine cover that opens. Why didn't UT add this feature to the race cars too?

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Nice write up Darren. You sure take a lot of effort to make this a great read. Thanks for the treat once again! :cheers

About those signal and fog lights. The ones on my GTR #59 are correctly painted i.e. with the amber in the centre and the fogs on either side. Maybe it was a QC problem in your batch of Macs. Anyways its a minor thing and doesnt take detract anything from the looks.

LUW, i think UT chose to keep it shut cause of the wing. But I would like to know if it opens in the orange road version GTRs.

G

·
Great review, Darren!

Luciano,

The racecars could not have the functional rear spoiler due to regulations. With the massive spoiler that GTRs already had, I don't know if it would create a (dis)advantage over the competition.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Gian, i was referring to the engine compartment lid. The rear spoiler wont open cause the wing is fixed on it.And you are right about the race car regulations. :cheers

G

·
:eek:ops :lol

I misunderstood you both. My mistake. ::blushing::

I found this to redeem myself :giggle

However on the UT/PMA/Minichamps papaya version it doesn't open... :cry

G

·
Great review! I have the UT F1 LM Roadcar and love it. I've seen the "regular" F1 in a dark gray on eBay and it looks amazing. If I get this model that's the color I want.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Gian you redeemed yourself. I was trying to find pics of the gold lined engine bay but couldnt find any. Anyone here has a pic of that. Would love to see all that shimmering gold in a car.

G

·
I also have that model, is rather good even today.

However, am I the only one noticing that the front ground clearance is way too small?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts