DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Hello to all again. This would be my second review on this site. I had some free time today, so I wrote this up. This time it's a Formula 1 car. It's a McLaren MP4-20, which is the 2005 (current) season car. It is the #9 car, which was driven by Kimi Raikkonen of Finnish nationality throughout the whole of 2005 season. This model is made by "Hot Wheels Racing". I purchased it about a month ago from a hobby shop in town. Soon as I saw it, I just had to have it. Anyway, here it goes.

Brakes
The brake discs are just somewhat viewable through the dense rims, but they're there, that's for sure. The actual caliper (or whatever it's called) is kind of etched into the discs, not really a separate part. However, it does have the label on them with AP Racing, or something like that, DP Racing.
accuracy=9 detail=7

Engine
What engine? (lol). There isn't any removable exterior parts on this car, so there's no engine viewable. Now, that would pretty much mean a score of say 6 and say another 5, but what can you expect. I mean, it's not an Exoto model or whatever else expensive open-wheeler. This car is from Hot Wheels Racing, and it's not a budget price at all, but it's not $100 either. So for this category, I will omit it from the overall score.
accuracy=6 detail=5 (omit both)

Exterior
The whole shape of the car is very accurate. There are some flaws though. Now I'm not really sure which race this car is from (or whether it IS from an exact race), but there should be a double wing at the back (not perfectly sure on this though), and even though there's no WEST logos on it, there isn't a big Kimi logo on the back wing either which really sucks in my opinion. The other omitions I've seen after watching a F1 race after I bought my car was that there's no Johnny Walker logo near the top of the car (not sure if it was there before tho). Most of the details on exterior are etched into the car (tampos or whatever they're called). The only decals are the Mercedes-Benz and Mobil 1 logo on the side, and also the smaller Kimi logo (not the big one), and the very small driver name and country flag, but they're all very accurate and are perfectly fine on this model. Another flaw (though not sure) is the wing that comes in and merges with the side part of the car. It doesn't seem too good of a quality, but it's pretty much how the real car is.
accuracy=9 detail=8

Interior
The interior doesn't present too much here. The main flaw is that it's all plasticy and you can't really tell anything. The driver does have what the real suit would have on, and the helmet is very accurate as well. You can see the "Iceman" and Kimi logos, they're both very well done. The seatbelts are how they should be, but they're not a separate part, they're basically painted in and moulded on the driver. The wheel is exactly the shape of the real McLaren one, with the MB logo in the middle. It doesn't have any other detail though.
accuracy=9 detail=7

Paint
Paintjob is similar to my exterior explanation. It's good all around, no real faults. The gas cap is painted in, that would be a small flaw. However, it's good all around and there's no real differences to the real car.
accuracy=9 detail=9

Tampo/Decals
Everything except 8 logos total (4 on each side) are tampos, but the 2 big ones are well done and the other 2 are small, so it's not too much of a drawback. The tampos on the front and the back wing are also very well done.
accuracy=9 detail=8

Tires/Wheels
The tyres are well done, they seem like *realistic* tyres, they have Michelin on them, and the rims are labeled as well. The only improvement you'll see from these tyres if probably if you compare to a much more expensive car, so for the value, these tyres are very good.
accuracy=9 detail=9

Undercarriage
Nothing to see here. I'm not sure how a real F1 car has the undercarriage, but the only thing here is a big long bar underneath the car. Though from the outside, the underpart of the car looks realistic.
accuracy=8 detail=7

Overall Accuracy = 8.857
Overall Detail = 7.857

Overall Total =8.4

All in all, I really like this car. Kimi Raikkonen has been my favorite driver since I first saw him in McLaren in 2002. My previous fav. driver was Mika Hakkinen who to this day remains my fav. driver of all, so it was only natural I'd like Raikkonen as well. This is my first real F1 model. I also have a much much older '92 Williams N. Mansell, but it's 1/24 by Bburago, which is much less detailed (and much much cheaper too!). For $75cad that I paid for this, I felt like it was worth it. There are drawbacks though like the back wing and how there's no Kimi on it, and the exterior wing part which comes into the car could have been better quality.

A Minichamps car would probably be better in those 2 categories, but the fact is I can't find a Minichamps car around where I live, and when I was in Europe this year, I saw a KR McLaren F2003 from Minichamps in a model car dedicated store in Venice (and also at one in Florence I think..), but it cost 80 or like 85 euros. 85 Euro was like 130 canadian dollars at the time, and I just couldn't justify that much for a model car. However, when the time comes, I'll probably try and get one if I go to Europe again next year, or if I'm lucky, I'll find the KR Malaysia 2003 GP First Win edition by Hot Wheels Racing.

Anyway, good car. If you can settle for no removable exterior (no viewable engine) and a so-so accurate back wing, this car is an awesome addition for your collection and you can probably find it a decent price, maybe like $50 US. Comparing this price to hobby shops around my town, this cost me $75 canadian, and other Hot Wheels Racing F1 cars are around $55-$130 canadian (the MS 7 time Champion special edition is $130, but usually a F1 car is about $55 to $80 max). An AUTOart car would be around $90-$100cad, and the Millenium Edition AUTOart are about $110-$130cad.

Review added to the DX Model Review Database on 6-NOV-2005

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Thanks for conducting that review. I had heard that HotWheels has really improved their F1 cars' quality. I have an old Hot Wheels Mika H. car (MP4-15) and was curious to see how Hot Wheels might have improved over time. So, your review was certainly of interest to me. It's nice to read that they have done reasonably well with this particular model. Although the actual MP4-20 had not been the most reliable in 2005, they sure brought back a lot of excitement to F1. Hopefully their engines will be more reliable in 2006 and give those Renaults a good run for their money.

Have you seen the new Hot Wheels 2005 Renaults (like Alonso's)? I saw one face-to-face and must say it looked really good.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you seen the new Hot Wheels 2005 Renaults (like Alonso's)? I saw one face-to-face and must say it looked really good.
Yup, I saw it at another model shop 2 weeks ago. It was this season's (2005) car. They also had that 7-time Champion MS Ferrari special edition in metallic red.

Alonso's car was a bit cheaper too, it was only $55cad or $59cad, don't remember clearly. However, I'm not a fan of Alonso, I feel like he was really lucky this season, so I'm not gonna want to have his car part of my collection.

I'm going to wait another month and a half or so and get a Schumacher Ferrari then.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After a year and half, I have converted this model to West decals. I really hated the way Hot Wheels did the "Kimi" logos on this model, forgetting to add either the red "Raikkonen" by it or the red/grey stripes (as seen on West logo), so it was horribly innacurate.

It still doesn't look as good as the Minichamps (which is quite rare nowadays), but it looks much nicer with West on. Here's a quick picture I took.

I will post more on the weekend.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts