DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Hey Guys, CK had this model on special for 99 Euros so I thought I'd purchase it so as to paint it white to add to my white McLaren collection. I have not seen any reviews or information on it so thought Id share it with you all.Here is the box it comes in:It is very weighty and feels great quality:
photo upload website
This is my first display case model, and Im very impressed with it. it's a very nice display piece for the price and would look at home in any nicely fitted out office/study:The display case came apart easy enough, with 4 bugle head screws and spacers:

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
It is overall good quality for the price,there are some minor imperfections on the model, such as marks inside the glass, the wheel covers being misaligned and the front wheels being fixed in position, but ill sort that out when i paint it white.here are some more detailed pics for you to see:It is such a large model it barely fits in my Bertby:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Looks pretty good, and it reads like you got a good deal for it, too.

I wasn't sure what to make of the Speedtail in terms of its design, but it's growing on me.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was the same when it came out. I thought it was a little odd and the proportions took some getting used to.

But with time has come some great appreciation to my sensibilities.

In a world where most things come out looking like a F&F prop car with too much design and detail, with wings and tacky pointy bits (Lambo SV or STO, 765LT, Senna, as examples) this thing now strikes me as one of the most beautiful cars of recent times.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
The Speedtail has grown on me like nothing else in recent times. I like its purity in form with none of the aero frills all super and hypercars have nowadays. Somewhere a mix between the Jaguar XJ220 and McLaren F1 in profile. The model looks good too.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The Speedtail has grown on me like nothing else in recent times. I like its purity in form with none of the aero frills all super and hypercars have nowadays. Somewhere a mix between the Jaguar XJ220 and McLaren F1 in profile. The model looks good too.
I think that's it - the proportions were 'challenging' at first, because the Speedtail has a long rear overhang and a broad 'rear deck' behind the black engine cover. I've found that both the Senna and the Speedtail are cars that don't look good right away, but they grew on me.

Both of you made good points about the Speedtail's 'purity' of design, because so many performance cars these days have aerodynamic features integrated into the bodies or seemingly tacked on to them. The Speedtail's simpler design is quite a contrast.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This model really did'nt send the scale model sales chart on fire, but eventually will be lapped up by collectors.
Yet often those are the models that become hard to find or expensive as we try to fill holes in our collections years later.

I started looking for a silver Porsche 914 a few months back for that exact reason, and it's super hard to find or expensive :/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.