DiecastXchange Forum banner
101 - 120 of 268 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
:lol Your affirmation, raidou, obviously means you spent the weekend in the same room with your models, presumably !! :giggle Great stuff, my man. Treasure her !
My Heather and son Tyrone inspire me more than anything else in this hobby.
The moment Heather hears a diorama is in the offing, she's the first one to put that wonderful feminine touch into gear. She was the one who virtually forced me to put the pin-ups in the Ford dio ! As I was saying....GREAT INSPIRATION !!
PS Sorry for AWOL the past week.
Took the family down to the East coast for a week vac. Man, was it needed !
Good to be back though.
Bug

·
Registered
919 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Congratulations on your wonderful relationship!!!

My wife is accepting of the hobby and actually encourages me to purchase certain models (those whose colors please her). She hasn't ever complained about my spending for them and comments on modifications and detailing that I sometimes do.
Unlike your companion, my wife doesn't share the same interests and passion about the hobby. She will read an occasional post on the forum, look at an especially cool model, but, by and large, she isn't into the hobby as such.
Yet I am indeed grateful of her approach and attitude. It is certainly beats by a real long shot, being negative, hostile or downright mean toward the hobby as it appears some wives/girlfriends are!!!

·
Registered
512 Posts
I must confess. I consider myself pretty lucky. My wife is the one that got me into 1/18 diecasts. I used to be a model cars & trains only guy. It was something we did together, as she has quite a few 1/18s herself.

I noticed her looking in the display cases today, and I asked, "what's up?", and she said, "you know, I sure miss going through all the shelves at Toys R Us looking for the one we didn't have" "Now that they don't carry them in the big stores it just isn't the same." "Remember when I would look through dozens of cars on the bottom shelves and you would look at all of the top one?".... "Yep, it was fun"

How many women would put up with almost 200 1/18 cars in the living room in display cases? We just celebrated our 31rst anniversary, and she still likes diecast cars.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I just like you am a very lucky guy with a wife who not only lets me collect, also finds great deals for me. I don't however display my cars in the living room, they're in the upstairs den and I'm happily adding more and more 1/18s. I must confess that she also jump started my collection by finding 4 of my all time favorite 1/18s for $15 each.

Happy Anniversary to you both, and may you live happily ever after with many many more 1/18s in your future.

·
Premium Member
13,855 Posts
My wife is also very supportive and interested in model cars as well. Just yesterday, while she is half way across the world in Afghanistan, she was still telling me how she prefers the GT3 Porsche's over the GT2's and which model we should get. She was giving me crap about buying the PPG/Penthouse GT3 cup car, saying it was not as nice as the some of the others. She is also upset that I still have not bought a 599XX, knowing this is one of the cars I want the most. She is too nice!

A couple of lucky guys we are!

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Your wife defiantly sounds like a keeper, my last girlfriend wanted to move in with me due to the fact I live in a bigger place but started by saying “once I move in all this junk will have to go”. Funny she never got the chance!

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
Displaying cars in the living room? I wouldn't even attempt it. (not that I would want to)
Displayed (warehoused) in my home office, not an issue.
Taking valuable storage space for empty model boxes....an issue :giggle:

·
Registered
550 Posts
My Wife is indifferent to it, But does allow me to have them on display in the living room, She did come with me to collect four of them from a collector on the North side of Houston, But maybe so i didn't spend to much lol Although I'm not really into sewing and painting which is her hobby, So we live with different interests.

·
Premium Member
23,366 Posts
Mair just looks at me disapprovingly when another card comes through the door saying i've got a parcel at the post office....

As long as they don't spill over (from the Wormhole!) into the living areas she turns a blind eye - though occasionally she has a rant and says I have a problem.....however a box of chocs, some flowers, or a shopping trip to get 'baby clothes/toys' for the grandkids normally gets me back on track..
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

In extreme circumstances (i.e. if she sees the invoice!!
) some concentrated 'catching up on those unfinished DIY jobs can oftn get me off the hook!!

...well it cant be too bad - we've managed 21 years!!!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Well, it seems I'm not the only one that's fortunate. It all started when we were on vacation. I had a hobby shop at the time and I sold model trains and model kits, but the 1/18s took too much room in my little store so I passed on them. We were at Leaman's Hardware in Central Ohio and Freda caught me looking at the 1/18 Ertl Road Runners. I told her if they weren't so big I'd like to have them. Then I saw the black 1932 Ford Roadster and told her it was nice too. Later that year for Christmas I got 2 Ertl Road Runners and a '32 Deuce Highboy. That was when I got hooked. So...my wife is to blame for all the diecasts in the living room.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
When there are Billy full of diecast in the house, she has no other choice!
Actually, the wife has gotten me most of the expensive diecast I have (as I know where to buy them, and she just order from the catalog). The only rule is that they do not go downstairs to the living room.

101 - 120 of 268 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.