DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my Sauber C9 on a a wooden display shelf and the thing became virtually glued to it! There are some little melt marks on the tires. Has this happened to anyone else's C9? I know UTs have had melting tire problems. :feedback

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
My C9 looks fine. Are your tires feeling mushy?

Some of UT's McLaren F1 GTRs have melting wheel paint (rather than melting tires).

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The vinyl tires have chemicals in them that keep them soft and pliable, as well as chemicals left over from the manufacturing process. Over time, these chemicals move from the interior of the vinyl piece to the surface and 'gas off'. In the process, they can interact with whatever is touching the surface of the tire, such as painted wheels and shelf material. What they are doing is dissolving the paint, or in the case of tires resting on a shelf, softening the tire contact patch to a point where it will stick to the shelf surface.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I have mine on a glass shelf and once in a while I rotate the wheels, so so far I never had a problem.

G

·
MED - Don't allow the tyres to come into contact with any surfaces. Ideally you won't to elevate the car slightly so that it is off the ground.

:cheers

G

·
My C9 is fine (YSL - Kouros, Thackwell car).

Sorry to hear of your trouble MED.

Although i have had trouble with another car, Minichamps F1 USA Event car. I had this sitting on top of the TV in the Theatre Room when i first got the model. The tyres ended up eating into the plastic surround of the TV!!

Now i have 4 little dents in the top of the TV. This does not happen on the glass shelf or metal so it must be the plasticiser in the tyres interacting with the plastic chemicals.

Also watch out for flat spots on your heavier models, some 1:43's too. You end up with square tyres.... :giggle

:cheers

Timbo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.