DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was away this summer, and when I came back, I noticed that all of my car's tires were sticking to the wood of which they sat upon :? So I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I have noticed that with some of my models, including many Exotos and Minichamps, there is a tire tread mark left by the wheel after setting for a few days on the black plastic base I put the cars on. I don't think this is melting, but rather migration of residual chemical from the tire. It could be plasticizer, mold release, or unreacted monomer from the formation of the 'rubber' polymer. I've seen this before in my profession as a chemist, in situations where a polymer is not completely reacted, or where there is an excess of one ingredient. Maybe this is at play in our case here.

:zi:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, luckily, I haven't even started my real collection yet (they were just some crappy 1:18 models that I've had for a while.) I was just asking for concern of my future models. But I think that in order to prevent this, I'll just display them in a suspended position (Like on the the stands they come with) Or maybe I'll set them on a different surface :?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mine does it also on a glass surface. It's leaving a little mark on the surface but none on the rubber wheels of the car...

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
vegasracer said:
I have noticed that with some of my models, including many Exotos and Minichamps, there is a tire tread mark left by the wheel after setting for a few days on the black plastic base I put the cars on. I don't think this is melting, but rather migration of residual chemical from the tire. It could be plasticizer, mold release, or unreacted monomer from the formation of the 'rubber' polymer. I've seen this before in my profession as a chemist, in situations where a polymer is not completely reacted, or where there is an excess of one ingredient. Maybe this is at play in our case here.

:zi:
Totally OT: VR - are you able to steer me to any information about cleaning solutions that contain pertroleum distilates and how that's bad for rubber/plastic? Thanks in advance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.