DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
This is a review for the Minichamps Porsche 911 RSR customer car in white.

Some points that don't fit in the review categories will be discussed. This model comes in a cardboard outer box, with a Styrofoam inner box. It is a dealer edition, so we get the grey Porsche dealer box. The model is secured to the Styrofoam box by screws (which I seriously hate). These screws are the worst design possible because the holes for the screws are very small. Too small to fit your finger in it, yet, big enough for the screw to be able to turn in the hole, causing the head of the screw to be tilted. It took me a good 20 min. to put the screws back onto the box after I took the model out.

The model is heavy, a lot heavier than most AUTOart's, and even heavier than a lot of Minichamps's. I think it weighs just a little less than the Minichamps M3 GTR's.

Brakes - accuracy=9 detail=9
Minichamps has finally headed the direction of photoetch for their brakes, and they are welcome here. The brakes are very well detailed, and the callipers are quite detailed as well. I love to see improvement in diecasts, and it seems Minichamps has done their homework here. Sorry about the lack of pics for the brakes, as I forgot to take some, and the model is already back in box. No way am I going to be taking half an hour to get the screws back in :help

Engine - accuracy=7 detail=7"Good" is the word I'm going to use to describe the engine here. The (plastic) engine cover slides off to reveal a decently detailed engine. It's not exactly groundbreaking, but it's better than what Autoart's 996 Porsches have offered in the past. But from the 1:1 pics, there are a few details missing, and the model's engine could do with some more detail painting.

Exterior - accuracy=8 detail=8
From the front, at first glance, everything looks perfect. The large grill on the bottom is perforated, and covered with real metal mesh. The tow hook is there, but it's a wrong shape and wrong position compared to the 1:1 pics. The hoodpins are there too, and are separate pieces! However, the 1:1 pics show the rings on the hoodpins should be red, yet they're just left as metal colour on the model. The 3 little air vents just under the Porsche logo is just painted, but it's expected, as it's pretty small to make perforated. Coming to the lights, my RSR's front light covers' fit isn't so good, and it leave some space on the bottom edge. Also, the "yellow turn signal" inside the lights is painted, but I can't really tell on the 1:1 pics if it's fake light as well, can anyone confirm? The lights themselves are only okay, as there are small attachment stubs on the center, and they're very "foggy" and not very 3D looking. Moving on up, the hole for fuel is replicated, and is quite detailed. There is also a small antenna on the pics of the 1:1, yet isn't replicated on the model. The trunk is very well detailed, with wires running everywhere, and correct detail painting on the various little bottles and gadgets.

To the side, we see that the stance of the model is perfect. There isn't really much to fault here, except a few minor things. The door handles are molded, but aren't molded very "sharply". The shutline on the front of the door is a tad too big as well. Last thing is that the shape of the spoiler, when viewed from the side, seems different to the 1:1 pics :confused

Moving on to the back, it also looks great. Everything looks to be in proportion, and details look great. A thing I have to mention is that Minichamps replicated the pins on the engine cover too, as separate pieces like the front! Wow! Now we talk about some bad points. The third brakelight under the windshield is just painted, and so is that little auxiliary brake light under the wing. The RSR logo under the wing is a tad too big as well. The lights, while they look good, don't seem very 3D to me. Finally, the muffler tips isn't excavated enough, so it's easy to see the end. But I'm really nitpicking, as overall it's very well done.

Interior - accuracy=9 detail=9
Amazing interior, just simply amazing. Everything looks just like on the 1:1. The seats are beautiful affairs, and the dash looks real! The only thing I'd want to nitpick about the interior is that: 1) the steering wheel should be velvet-ized, 2) the gear shifter could be better done, and 3) the LCD display on the dash should be blue, not green. One thing I am super amazed at, is that the wires running behind the front seat, are actually separate black pieces, instead of the painted "wires" on the AUTOart racers. I have to give kudos to Minichamps for not going the cheap way and just painting the wires. The door sides are also nicely replicated, the red wire thingie are separate pieces instead of just paint. While I'm at it, the door rides on non dog leg hinges, but are VERY fragile. There's a little bit of wobble after the doors are open. My advice is to not open the doors too many times, and when you do, open them very carefully.

Paint - accuracy=10 detail=10
Paint looks great, rich and smooth. No orange peel anywhere, and it looks completely true to the 1:1.

Tampo/Decals - accuracy=9 detail=9
All RSR logos are tampoes, which is a great change for Minichamps and their overuse of decals in the past. All tampoes are very nicely done. The Porsche logo up front looks like a photoetch piece, but is only a tampo.

Tires/Wheels - accuracy=10 detail=10
Great detailed rims, with white center and chromed edges. The tires are marked "Michelin" as well, which is true to 1:1. Nothing to fault here at all.

Undercarriage - accuracy=7 detail=7
Note that I can't find 1:1 pics of the RSR's undercarriage, so the accuracy is only based on best "guesstimate". The undercarriage is relatively disappointing for me. It looks okay, except for the mono coloured engine in the rear. Is it really like that on the 1:1, a big lump of silver? One nice detail is the tow ring, as it's replicated exactly as on the 1:1.

CONCLUSION:
Accuracy=8.625 detail=8.625

I got this model for around 120CAD, which I think is a fair price. It's a dealer piece only as of now (Nov/05), so I think the slight price premium is worth it. This model is very well made and detailed, and shows what Minichamps can do when they put their heart to it. It's just slightly puzzling to me how Minichamps gets the hard stuff perfect, yet get basic stuff wrong :confused . Either way, get it if you can find it, and if you can't find it now, wait for the normal release and THEN get it :giggle

Review added to the DX Model Review Database on 2-NOV-2005

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mikeee! :happy

This review isn't as detailed (i.e. full of BS :giggle) as my usual reviews, as Gian has already done a review as well, this is just a second opinion. :D His is a really good read btw, with better pics too :giggle

G

·
Thanks for the review Gary .

I cant say I agree with everything you said about the model , but I guess each to their own .

By the way , what makes you think this will be available as a regular release ?

None of Minichamps DE Porsches have ever showed up as regular editions , so I really cant see this one being any different .

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
Great job on the review! :nicejob I really really like that car!

G

·
Thanks for taking the time and writing a review with no BS :lol

Seriously, if that final score is a correct representation of this model, then based off the DX Model Review Scoring System, its a pretty darn nice model.

I too thought the wing looked a little different from the 1:1.

I wonder what other models we will see from this mold as there are a ton of RSR models out there.

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! :happy

SG: Well, the only Minichamps Porsche DE that I know of is the 917/10 L&M right? The exact livery wasn't released as normal release, but this customer car can't have any other livery right? And from other car manufactuer's Minichamps DE's, those are all released as normal releases as well, except in different colour/livery. So I'm pretty certain in my statement that Minichamps will release this RSR, maybe in plain white? :giggle

Jeff: No prob, I think this is one of the best DE's I have in my collection right now.

Darrick: This indeed is a very nice model, worthy to be in anyone's collection, and it's not a fantasy car like that M3 GTR :giggle I think this mold will be milked just like the M3 GTR, we'll probably be seeing various colours, and of course millions of liveries for it :p

G

·
SG: Well, the only Minichamps Porsche DE that I know of is the 917/10 L&M right? The exact livery wasn't released as normal release, but this customer car can't have any other livery right? And from other car manufactuer's Minichamps DE's, those are all released as normal releases as well, except in different colour/livery. So I'm pretty certain in my statement that Minichamps will release this RSR, maybe in plain white?
Theres also these

Minichamps Porsche 904 GTS in Black
Minichamps Porsche 906 Monza world record car
Minichamps Porsche Carrera GT in Silver

As the RSR was a presentation car for the Frankfurt Motor Show and not actually a "customer car" I cant really see it being released in a plain white livery and it didnt come in any other colour .

It may come out with some race liverys (I hope so anyways) but I certainly think this is the only non race version we will see . Lets see what the next 12 months brings

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
oh right, I should've at least remembered the silver CGT DE :giggle

I see what you mean. We'll see what happens. I hope they do release it as a regular release though, so collectors who cannot obtain the DE's can have a chance to own this amazing model...

G

·
Nice review Gary! :happy

I can't believe it took you 20 minutes to screw it back onto the box... :giggle

I don't want to say that I'm glad but I see that yours' headlights covers also have that tiny fitting problem as well.

As for the M3 GTR, I took mine out last night after many months and it felt a lot heavier than the RSR-almost twice as much! I hope it hasn't been eating any of my UT Porsche... :help

:cheers

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys! :happy

pbg4: thanks! You can call your local Porsche dealer and see if they can order you one :D

vpw: you can order from Porsche dealers. I'll find out the # for you tonight.

Nadav: I'm curious too, why wait for AUTOart? :confused

Gian: I dunno, I suck at putting screws back okay? :pullhair :giggle
I don't have my M3 GTR handy, but from the weights of the Chinese DE's lying around in my room, the RSR isn't as heavy (of course), but it's substantial, compared to AUTOart's :giggle

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
The member had the pics linked to their Photobucket account. They must have renamed the pics or removed them from their Photobucket site.

It's an older review (from 2005).

Sean

1 - 18 of 18 Posts