DiecastXchange Forum banner

Miscellaneous motosport matters.

12K views 212 replies 11 participants last post by  samx5 
#1 ·
I couldn't find a suitable thread about motor racing issues - other than the F1 and Moto GP areas.
As a result, I wanted to add a 'grab all' thread for other forms of (real life) motorsport.
Many replica models are race and rally based, so I think this idea will be acceptable to members.
I will start the thread with a link to the 2017 Le Mans 24 hours 'Spotters guide':
http://www.spotterguides.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/17_LM24_v2_3.pdf

#2 ·
Cool, if ever you look at an old thread and the info has gone, feel free to add your own info or start a thread and we will remove the old one, just let us know.

#3 ·
Well, Le Mans was an interesting race again, although I wonder about the future of LMP1.
It reminds me of the last days of GT1 racing, too few cars and little evidence of new participants.
LMP2 also needs an overhaul, it's too homogeneous for my liking.
Perhaps what's needed is a return to pure road based cars - such as GTE Pro and Am (it produced the most exciting finish of all the classes).
After all, that was the idea in the first place.......

#6 ·
Another link, this one a site which gives access to time delayed motor racing footage.
It's Russian, and in spite of the inevitable doubts - I have used it for several years without issue.
(Caveats naturally apply).
Think of it as youtube with no qualms about copyright.....
However, there are the inevitable advertisements which I usually block with an add on ad blocker.
http://burningwhee1s.blogspot.ie/
You may have to change the extension to that which applies in your zone.

#8 ·
I am not sure if this has been mentioned in any other thread, but it looks as though the modern version of the DTM is on it's last legs.
Mercedes are to end their involvement, switching to E -racing instead (I suspect this is more about environmental image than anything else).
https://www.motorsport.com/dtm/news/mercedes-to-quit-dtm-after-2018-confirms-formula-e-entry-934184/
In reality I have never had any interest in any version of the DTM after the ITC thing which destroyed the class, which had been weakened when group A regulations were finally abandoned.

#9 ·
I've watched DTM periodically over the years but in the time since they added DRS spoilers, the racing itself has frequently been F1-style processional, with positional changes more from pitstop strategy than actual on-track overtaking. The cars LOOK cool but not enough for me to commit to buying any.

They say that this will result in the series taking the final step to converting to Japan Super GT regulations, having already taken steps to unify the two series technically from 2014 with the final step in 2019. Whether that will improve things or not is difficult to say as both series have always relied on national popularity to sustain interest; whether Europeans would appreciate the admittedly wild and swoopy GT500 and GT300-style enhancements of Japanese manufacturer vehicles is a major question yet to be answered, if they do cross over at all.

But Super GT has managed to keep the racing exciting, stay popular and reign in costs, something that the DTM, catering to the manufacturers and resulting in cars nearing F1 sophistication and cost, has failed to do.

#10 ·
The DRM/DTM seems to have always been cyclical.
It began with an excellent combination of FIA groups 2, 3 and 4.
This mixed 2 seat and 4 seat cars, and began quickly to build popularity.
Unfortunately the decision was made to bring in group 5 and when turbocharging arrived the series was too expensive.
The group A arrived, and having been stung the first time around the organisers decided to use weights and air restrictors to even things between makes.
It started OK but when BMW introduced the E30 M3 and Ford brought the Sierra RS500 all others were also rans.
After 1990 and the move to ever more sophisticated the lessons of history were again ignored - too expensive and manufacturers who might jump ship at any time.
And here we are again. The present series is all but dead, and I honestly don't think the Super GT regulations are the answer.
The further from a road car a racer becomes, the less the public seems to be interested.
True sportscar racing is also moribund, whereas cars such as the Ferrari 488 and Corvettes in assorted series seem to be the best option.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
For those with a satellite who can receive Astra 2E/F/G a recent addition is Motorsport TV (the satellite version of the videos on the website).
It began on the 1st of this month, although I didn't think to check for new channels recently - which I usually do on a regular basis.
Freesat 253 (11307H/27500) SKY channel 447 Virgin 545.
At least for the moment it is free to air, and used to be known as Motors TV - so it may still be at the old Freeview spot.
The indication I can find is that it will stay free to air, but we shall see.....
https://en.wikipedia...i/Motorsport.tv[background=rgb(255, 228, 181)] [/background]
https://www.motorstv.com/tv-guide/day
Since the organisation is American - based in Florida - I imagine it should also be available in the US.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
If you have access to Motorsport.com/TV look out tomorrow (Tue 5th) for coverage of the 1988 Jerez WSC round - 60 minutes.
It would seem that this is a chance to show at least some of the 1988 season, this round being 30 years since - to the day!.
Jaguars, Suaber C9, Spices, and of course the Porsche 962C in the second glory era of sportscar racing.....
Now if they can stretch to also showing the 1988 ETCC - I will be a very happy man....

#14 ·
Typical.
We've had the WRC over several weekends since January.
We had the first round of the Moto GP season in the middle of last month.
Then the Australian F1 race the following weekend.
This past weekend - nothing!
And for this weekend, all three.
Does no-one understand the concept of scheduling?

#15 ·
Of course not - look at what they did when they rescheduled the next-to-last WEC race of the year at Fuji just to accommodate guest Toyota LMP1 driver Fernando Alonso and, in the process, screwing multiple drivers and teams who were scheduled (and contracted) to participate in that race and the IMSA Petit Le Mans with which it now conflicts.

If they don't care about the participants, why should they care about the fans?

#16 ·
Today was the 50th anniversary of the opening of Mondello park in Co. Kildare.
It was highlighted by a 'Libre' race also including the Derek Bell trophy for F5000, Formula 2 and Formula Atlantic.
This car won both races to-day, and I will try to upload a few more images from the race in the next couple of days.
Apologies about the image quality, shooting through modern fencing is not easy!

Attachments

#28 · (Edited by Moderator)
#29 ·
I saw that Boxster tribute on Pistonheads last week. From the front it looks a bit like the Mercedes SLR Stirling Moss to my eyes, and I'm not a fan of the buttress design. I know modern cars are overweight but it's surprising just how enormous it looks compared to the car that inspired it:

Full Pistonheads story is here