DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else print their own plates? I use 4x6 tabbed photo paper and get the measurements of the actual 1:1 plates first and then scale it in GIMP. I prefer The Gimp over Photoshop when doing things like this :giggle Print at 300DPI if your printer can do it, they come out crystal clear. It really adds a personal touch to models. I apply the plates with double sided 3M tape.

Since my new Z just has a Corvette emblem and logo in place of what should be a license plate, I made my own. I thought of a few different one's and I have printed out

ZU L8TR

YLO JAKT

What do you guys think would work better? I tried the ZUL8TR plate below:

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I should really investigate into making my own. I want a BMT214A for a Goldeneye DB5 and an "IMHOTEP" one for...whatever I feel like being chummy with. I'd love a car called imhotep.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Go HERE and find the plate you want. Type in your custom letters/numbers and print-screen-key the page. Opn up GIMP/PS and paste from clipboard. Now crop around custom plate and copy to clipboard. Now paste this from clipboard. The lengths of the paltes are specified on the website above, so just take those numbers, divided them by 18 inches and scale the plate to that in GIMP/PS with Scale Image. mae sure to change the DPI to 300DPI to get a nice sharp image.

I know this topic has been talked about before, but nobody has really shown there custom plates or shared how they make theirs.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Acisne and FordGT, big thanks! :cheers I'm working on a street conversion that needs a specific 1975 Alabama plate and I printed it. Fantastic! :happy

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I mainly use UK number plate, and stretch or skew it depending on the State/Country and then color them to the correct colors :cheers

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Amazing! Today I've given my Turbo Esprit an "OPW654W" number plate (ála For Your Eyes Only), my '68 Fastback Mustang a "JJZ 109" plate (ála Bullitt) and my "spare" DB5 a "BMT214A" plate (ála Goldeneye and Tomorrow Never Dies) I loves it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.