DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Now I have one shop I get on with locally, Nice guy, I get a bit of money off the models I buy, ie 5 to 10%.

But the two model shops closer to me are an absolute bloody joke.

I bought an ertl p100 mustang from one shop MONTHS AGO, at a sale, and they said they would look for the box, and call me, as obviously the room out back was a mess. I was given the option of taking the car home or leaving it there till they found the box, glad I took it ( this was the car which I bought damaged, bumper had fallen off)

Now I've had excuses about not having enough staff, saying they'll call me, and the latest was the other person is off sick and they took all my notes with peoples details on it. Said he'll call me yet again. mind you this is months afterwoods, How BLOODY HARD, is it to look in a damn room!! it takes 10 damn minutes. Haven't people heard of customer service. I'm stuck with a model without a damn box, due to lazy a** shop staff. They make you feel like they're doing you a favour by talking to you. Of course if I act like a prick, that won't help me a bit will it! sigh.

h*ll until recently their model cabinet was cased in dust, and so were the models, until they thought of the bright idea of displaying the models in their boxes. (slaps head)

And the 2nd shop well, Everything there is at rrp or above, Ask them how much they can sell me a model for and of course "sticker price". Haven't heard of anything as a discount scheme or loyalty scheme? Come on I aint asking much, maybe 5%. Also they have all the old stuff just sitting there over rrp. I just shake my head and think why bother? I can get this stuff cheaper on ebay. This shop has not had 1 decent diecast sale since i've started collecting.

Listened to them talk to a new customer (seemed to be new to diecast too) and were informing him about models, and they told him the companys make models from a mold till it breaks, it "eventually" does and then they stop making different colours. I thought to myself what a load of steaming bullSh*t. Thats obviously why Biantes made about 50-60000 or so odd monaro 1:18 variants production wise. It must be made of an "extra strong mold!" :pullhair

And they wonder why so many hobby shops are going out of business.

The stupidist thing is I need to go to the hobby shop furthest away from me to get a reasonable deal. And I get on with that guy well, a little bit of customer service goes a long way.

end rant :pullhair

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
How do you really feel, Odin? :giggle
I agree 100% with what you have to say. :cheers

I have 2 hobby shops that are within an hours drive of my home.
One (TomC Toys) is well stocked, fair prices, has friendly service and is a joy to go to.
He doesn't carry many of the types of cars I am interested in or I would be there constantly.

The other is like the ones you described, very poorly run, high priced, un-friendly, I wouldn't buy a glass of water from the guy on a hot day.

The second guy must cause new collectors to stay away from the hobby, I know if he was my first experience, I wouldn't be going back

G

·
Sorry to hear of your shops terrible efoorts at running an efficient business. Sounds like they won't be in business long.

Have you thought about volunteering your service to look for the box?

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Sure seems like we have been hearing a lot of stories lately about some very bad customer service. Frankly, I just cannot undertstand it. It just does not make any business sense at all! Having bad customer service is like cutting your own throat. Why in the world is this so hard for people to understand. Oh well, I guess this is why so many small businesses fail.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yeah, I was a bit angry when I wrote that. I've thought about asking to look for the box myself, but they dont seem like the kind of people who would let you. Really though, I shouldn't have to do that.

Really though that first shop was quite bad, I was actually walking through it thinking, they should fix this and that, and display this like thst, as the display of the models and the shop itself was just sub par.

I have a retail background, and ric is right, a little bit of customer service sets you apart, as a business. The general rule is you serve a customer well, they will tell 10 people, you serve them badly they will tell 100 people, about that.

G

·
That sounds like the local stores here in Toronto. A lot of them don't "deal" at all. Their sticker price is their final price...

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I know the feeling!!!

Sometimes, when I travel and go to a diecast store, I like to pretend that I don't know a thing about diecast just for the fun of hearing them filling me with crap :giggle ...then I tell them that I was just joking and that I collect diecast since 1991 and that I got 230 models......

I JUST LOVE THE LOOK ON THEIR FACES WHEN THEY REALIZE THAT I KNEW THEY WERE BULL***TING ME ALL THE WAY!!! :lol :lol :lol

Then I tell them that they just lost a few hundreds bucks in sales because they were shoveling crap up my a$$. IT'S A LOT OF FUN....and it's funnier when there's a lot of customers around.

Finally, I say that I only buy from honest places that takes diecast business seriously....and then I leave!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats a good tactic, :giggle unfortuantely, they're arnt too many shops around here. Maybe I should go back to the shop and do it one day though :lol

·
Registered
609 Posts
Went to the bloody same model shop again yesterday, asked about my box. Oh they still have a pile of boxes upstairs from the sale, I'll quote them" Oh we have the box, Just need to find it. we took them all upstairs" As I asked them I just want to know if they have it or not. Bloody beyond a joke, they have several people after boxes for their models, this was from a sale months ago, of course they couldn't be bothered looking in the mess they probably have upstairs.

Sigh. They all looked like they were in a rush to go, shop was shutting in 15mins and of course they were all gathering around the front door ready to leave. Given them my details 3 times now, never buying another model from these guys again, unless im totally desperate or they have some huge sale on, and I'll ask for the box upfront.

At least the other store down the road was slightly better. I bought my two newest hrt models there, but you'd think I was asking the impossible when I asked if I could get a discount for buying the two hrt models. Oh we dont tend to do that as these models are popular blah blah blah, collectors pick them up quick, They did end up giving me 5 dollars off each model. " I said to him well look it doesn't hurt to ask does it?

Was thinking to myself, though yeah sure, thats why every time I come into this shop I see models that have been sitting in the display case for over a year at RRP or RRP+10%. Hey a 5% to 10% loyalty discount brings return customers.

He then proceeds to tell me, biante have reduced the price of their supercars from 170 to 165$, I think to myself is that so? Thats why the price hasnt budged an inch on their website? Its just the store decided not to charge the usual 5 to 10$ above rrp they normally do.

ah well. Thats why I still buy a lot of models on ebay.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of your bad experiences at your local model shops.

But to be honest, I wish I was in your situation- not because of the bad situations, but just that fact that you have 3 die cast shops at your disposal!! :tease

I have two "close" to me- Exoticar in NYC and then EWA which are both about an hour away from me.

But that is unfortunate, it is when a situation goes south does one truly find out how good a company's customer service is. I love all these A+++ rants on Ebay about how great this person was to sell to. In my mind the best report someone can get is "A- model arrived broken but seller replaced broken parts immediately with no effort on my part."

That makes good customer service- not delivering on what you promised to give.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I agree with you mate. It's disappointing that in this day and age people have become so used to poor customer service that when someone does what they're obligated to do (i.e. Deliver what is expected as promised), the customer is singing high praises. It's their job to do that, and we shouldn't have to keep chasing them up about it. It's when someone goes above and beyond the call of duty, responding to things such as breakages swiftly that denotes 'good' customer service in my humble opinion.

Cheers,
Julza

P.S. Hope you get your box soon Odin :cheers

G

·
there's a shop like that around here aswell, i simply don't go there anymore
apparently they have a "few" stores (3???) here in Belgium and the guy who stands in the closest one is such an idiot he doesn't know anything about cars, so i simply stopped going there.
now i go to a better one, altough it's a longer drive, but that guy knows everything and he has a clients card, after 10 purchases you get 10% of the total purchases to buy some more cars :giggle :happy

G

·
I had a similar experience. There is this toy store called Sapphire which had some good AUTOart diecasts for sale but because of the price, no one except collectors were willing to buy them. Collectors never visited it as it was a children's toy store.

Well, I used to visit that shop almost daily and did it for almost 1 year thinking since these models are not getting sold, they will atleast sell it on discount. I guess that was too much to expect. I even suggested them to have a sale and clear up the inventory only to receive some weird reply.

And one fine day I visited the store to find all the models had vanished. On enquiry the manager tells me that they sold the models back to the dealer from whom they had bought them. That dealer turned out to my diecast dealer [Only one in India I guess and a nice guy on that...].

When I met the dealer and told him about my experience with Sapphire, he tells me that the Sapphire owner literally forced my dealer to buy the models back as he was unable to sell them. It seems that Sapphire made a profit worth 180 thousand dollars over a period of 3 years by selling models supplied by my dealer and were shameless enough to return goods worth 1800 dollars. He could as well have sold the inventory on discount or something compared to the profits made.

People cannot get more greedier than this. :pullhair

Moreover those models were full of dust and some were damaged. Some were in a different model's box and the prices were a mess.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Nandan, thats the same case here too. The fellows will let the models collect dust on their shelves but they will not offer a discount to clear the old stuff. (All they offer is a 5-10% disc if they are in a good mood.) Modelart itself has a wierd 'No Discounts' policy. Of all the people, they are the ones who can afford the best discounts for obvious reasons. I have got the best deals from malls like Lifestyle which offer anything upto 40% during the sale season.

G

·
I will need to talk to Avinash about some discount on the next purchases. I have bought more than 35 models from there and I am a regular buyer too. Lets see what he has to say about it.

Have you thought of buying a Tamiya anytime? I mean the 1:10s are really awesome. There is one collector here called RadhaKrishna who has some 350 models and has some 10 1:10 Tamiya models each costing some 24000.00 rs. I will be visiting him some time this weekend.

I am thinking of asking Avinash to get a Tamiya for me :) Lets see...I will keep you updated on this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.