DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unexpectedly came across a Mondo Lamborghini Estoque model, had never heard of the model before or heard of the concept car.

It's a fascinating car, I wouldn't mind a model of it. Unfortunately, looks like it was only made by Mondo and MotorMax. I hear they are ultra-budget that makes Maisto look high-end. Wasn't surprised to see the few people that have talked about it on DX mentioned how craptastic it is. Although for as bad and cheap looking as the model is, it still looks interesting. Seems like it might be fun to take one of these crap models and mod it to look better and more like the real car.

I've heard the Mondo is a rebadged MotorMax. However, the taillights are red on the MotorMax and they're clear on the Mondo. They should be clear, but does anyone know if the MotorMax lights are just painted red, and can be made clear by soaking them in a solvent? Is the color and paint a bit different? Kind of looks like the Mondo is darker with larger, less realistic metallic flecks. Is one better than the other? I know the Mondo price is worse, as I think it can only be found on eBay for more than it's worth, but the MotorMax they still sell and for quite cheap.

Former user Radiou, years ago, modded the Mondo and made it amazing. The replies to his photos attest to that. Unfortunately, those images are long gone. Does anyone happen to have these photos?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're right, the Mondo reviews are much older. I had read someplace that Mondo just puts their name on other companies' products, but that might have been incorrect info.

Looks like the lowest priced Mondo version is almost $100 with shipping and tax. Ouch! I've bought some really nice models for that price.

Registered
Try shop around i think you should be able to find a much cheaper deal at some point. I am not sure about the visual differences between Mondo and Motormax but one thing is for certain, the model doesn't worth $100 me think. I think I paid AUD$50ish years ago at retail and I thought I paid too much. 馃榿

The seller might just be banking on the rarity of the model considering it has been out for so long and we rarely see them nowadays.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I definitely can't bring myself to spend $100 on such a low-end model. The absolute cheapest one on eBay in the past 90-days, has severe paint rash and would have cost me about $74 after shipping and tax. Ouch. The MotorMax is far more palatable and I can get that under $50 total, brand new. Those red taillights though! If they're painted red, they can probably be stripped, but since these are made as cheaply as absolutely possible, I imagine they wouldn't have spent extra for red paint so I'd bet they're molded in color.

I wonder how hard/expensive is molding custom parts out of clear resin. More than the cost of an overpriced Mondo, I'd guess.

Registered
for a moment k was little puzzled about your comment on the red tail light but after I checked out the photos on the Mondo one now I see what you mean. So Mondo has clear white where as mine (Motormax) is red

Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Car

So it looks like Mondo Motors is slightly more faithful to the original concept me think.. nonetheless I thought the red taillight looks pretty neat too. Just not impressed with the Lamborghini badgeat the rear.

overall still a pretty nice looking Lambo saloon me think鈥

Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It does look pretty good overall. The door shutlines aren't perfect, but I wouldn't expect it of a MotorMax. I think the paint color of the MotorMax might look closer to the real thing than the Mondo.
The red taillights aren't ugly by far, but not accurate to the real car and clear white looks a bit more unique. I had liked the idea of painting the clear lenses from the inside, black for the background and white or dull silver for the sideways "Y" shapes so it looks like the real thing and really accentuates the sideways Ys.

The Lamborghini badge is definitely oversized and sticking out too much compared to the real one.
Do you get the impression the taillights are molded in red, or painted?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts