DiecastXchange Forum banner

Monte Carlo Falcon

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Ben Pratt 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
As most of you probably know, the 1964 Mustang was actually a bodywork exercise on a Falcon chassis. I know this, due to a number of fortunate/unfortunate circumstances. One of my early cars was a four-door 1964 six cylinder Falcon. The motor met the fate of all good boat anchors, and we had to replace it. Did a little research, and bought a 289 out of a 1967 Mustang, complete with motor mounts, C-6 floor shift automatic, and transmission/driveshaft tunnel mounting bracket.

Turned all of it over to the local shade tree, who said he'd see if he could make it fit, and guess what? Mustang motor mounts and transmission mounting bracket bolted up directly to the Falcon chassis, with no drilling, mods, nothing. All we had to do was fabricate a dual exhaust. Long story short, the 289 (which we also pulled the heads off and milled, and then added a Holley 500 cfm two barrel to the stock intake) literally ate rear u-joints for lunch. We had a custom drive shaft built, that used the Mustang front u-joint, and the Falcon rear, well that little six cylinder rear end just couldn't take it, so I drove around with a ratchet with proper socket already attached, a ball peen hammer, and a couple of spare rear u-joints. Every now and then, one would fail, and I'd pull over the the side of the road, pull out the repair kit, and commence triage. Got to where I could replace one in less than 30 minutes.

Okay, I disgress.

I bought a couple of the Yat Ming 1964 Falcons, and had an extra Shelby Collectibles GT-350R hanging around, so, once the visual research was done:

It was time to see if we could create one of these:

Stay tuned!

:cheers

See less See more
#2 ·
Phase I is nearly complete. All we actually have had to do, to date, is grind away at the insides of the Falcon body, to have the wheel wells of the Shelby fit up inside.

Wheelbase is a little off, and I'd like to fit wider wheels and tires. Roll bar is a little short (due to the roof height difference between the 1:1's), but that can be corrected as well. Wish the Yat Ming had an opening trunk, as the fuel filler and rear-mounted battery will be buried. Car suffers from a little nose-high attitude, but might be able to correct that, plus radiator bulkhead is taller in the Shelby than the Falcon, so need a little work there, but so far, not a disappointment:

More to come, watch this spot! :giggle

#8 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I've found that Racing Champions Nascar models are better donors. For some reason, their parts seem to be a little more interchangeable. The roll cage from a Racing Champions is a lot easier to work with, as well.

Good luck, and let's see some progress shots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.