DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure of what year it is supposed to be, all I know is it is from the 60's abd being a British car, I had to have it in my collection.

Sir gary found this one for me and shipped it over :cheers

I have a book coming that is all about the original Mini's, one of the things I enjoy most about diecast is reading about the car I have :happy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
That is really a car I should get just for its historical significance, but in British Racing Green of course. :cheers
The designer (Sir Alec Ignatious, or some close spelling), is generally credited with the first mass-produced monocoque passenger car. It was so affordable that it put many smaller car companies, still struggling after WW II, out of business. However, it was also the first basic transverse engine, front wheel drive car that is so common today and made Japanese car companies so rich.
Too bad American car companies didn't realize it!

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Very nice, Jeff! The BMW Mini doesn't look so small when sitting beside one of these.

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I wasn't able to get a fair picture of the engine as the hood opening is rather small.

There is either and engine or a very strong hamster on a wheel :giggle

Typical early Kyoshe engine compartment, limtied detail but what is there is well done.
Just a nice model of a fun car :happy

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
:lol Close enough! The man in question was Alec Issigonis. I've been reading his life story recently and apparently Austin-Morris made almost no money on the Mini in it's early years. Ford in the UK bought one and stripped it down to find out how much it would have cost to build and estimated that each one was sold at a loss! :cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.