DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I'm actually kind of excited to post my first review. Hopefully, this will answer any questions for those who are considering buying this piece.

Motorbox 1967 Corvette Stingray 327

Brakes
While not incredibly visible from behind the gorgeous, almost roulette-style wheels, the brake hardware is present. It just takes a little searching - behind the wheel. And that's OK because it's just the nature of these wheels to hide the brakes. Once you find them, though, it pays off. You can definitely tell effort went into making them, although you can't see TOO much. Exoto could've very easily skipped town on including this feature, but they didn't. Hard to tell if they're completely accurate, so I'll stick to the middle of the road on this one. I say 5. A decent amount of detail, despite the lack of brake lines, so, again, I vote 5.

Engine
More detail than I expected at this price range. Definitely not as detailed as a regular Exoto release, but on the same level as a new AUTOart. A lot of almost crudely molded plastic components. However, the chrome air cleaner and wiring make up for it. The fact that the battery doesn't seem to have been an afterthought is a real turn-on, as is the detail-painted engine fan. Being a member of Generation Y, I don't know these engines all that well, but this one looks like it'd be accurate. I give it a 7. A good amount of detail, as I pointed out. Another 7.

Exterior
Looks great to me. Top notch chrome work and even a finely detailed antenna. They could have just stopped at a metal rod, but they went the extra mile and capped it off at the top just like the real thing. Very impressive. The only downside is the all-too-obvious connecting pins in the white reverse light. It sticks out like a sore thumb amid all of the surrounding beauty. Too bad the front lights are sealed. That definitely doesn't improve its scores. 7s for both accuracy and detail.

Interior
Now we come to the area that further sold me on this model. After I saw the chrome rings around the gauges on a similar Motorbox Stingray, I knew I made the right decision when I ordered this one. There is a lot of high quality chrome almost every where you look. It might sound like a Bburago, but it definitely doesn't look like one. The shift knob is nice and delicate and obviously to scale. The steering wheel even looks like it's a cut above those of other models. It imparts a sense of solidity and precision. However, there is no carpeting and the dog-leg hinges are painfully noticeable. Also, the seats are stationary. Accuracy is rated at 8 and detail gets a 7.

Paint
Delicious paint, plenty of luster, and appropriately scaled metal flake. This Marlboro Red makes me want to get a pack and light up just from looking at it! "Red" reds are always nice, but at least one of these reds should be included in every collection, as they add a sense of old-school class. Unfortunately, I've spotted a few blemishes in my example. However, they are very minute and their effect on the overall aesthetics of the paint are negligible. Accuracy - 8. Detail - 8.

Tampos/Decals
Thankfully, there are no cheap stickers here. Only tampo printing. And good tampo printing at that. There're not that many spots to use it on, though - only the front and the rear. I was hoping the rear badge would be a separate, photo-etched piece, but it's not. Not the worst thing in the world. Accuracy and detail both get 7s.

Tires/Wheels
A very pleasing set-up, over all. The wheels just glint at you from miles away, enticing you to come a few steps closer and marvel at their shimmer and shine. Nice pieces to me, although they would benefit from valve stems. The tires are nice, too. They're labeled with both brand AND tire size. I've only seen that on one other model - my CMC SLR. They're not perfect, though - they seem a little too shiny and toy-like. Accuracy gets an 8. Detail gets a 7.

Undercarriage
Motorbox did a pretty decent job down here. Every thing is painted the way it should be and the exhaust pipes are actually separate from their shrouds. Another thing that Motorbox didn't have to do, but did. One thing I was disappointed by was the lack of brakelines and the lack of detail painting on the oil filter. This may not be a GMP, but it gets the job done. Two 7s.

OVERALL:
Accuracy - 7.125
Detail - 6.875
Combined - 7

Review added to the DX Model Review Database on 16-SEPT-2005

·
McLaren F1 guru
308 Posts
Well congrats on your first review :nicejob ! The detailing on that baby just looks spectacular. The paint in particular is GORGEOUS! :cheers

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Fantastic car SF! Thanks for sharing the review! :cheers
Being honest, I think the only thing I would change would be those dog legs.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, LUW! :cheers That means a lot coming from Mr. MW himself.

Yeah, those doglegs gotta go. :giggle

G

·
Derek,

I greatly appreciate you taking the time and doing this review. ;nicejob

I compared this model to the actual car and it looks like Exoto hit a homerun with the exception of that rear emblem.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My pleasure, Darrick. :cheers

I had been meaning to do one of these for a while. I feel like I'm giving back (although just a small fraction) to you and the community that I've received so much from.

And :iagree - Exoto definitely did a nice job on this piece. Too bad they haven't released it as a regular, full-blown Exoto.

G

·
You made a great review considering its your first time! WTG! I like the pictures for every category. I hope to see more. You did this car justice!

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Great job SF! :nicejob :nicejob I have been wanting to pick one of these, but they seem to always go for more than I want to pay for it. :giggle

Q. Do the headlight rotate like the Ertls?b

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Al, they are static. But to think of how ugly the things look on the Ertl, I rather see them forever closed.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Al and Jake. :cheers I plan on writing up another review within the next few weeks. It's a lot of work as far as formatting and picture taking, but it's definitely worth it. :wink

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Thanks for the review Speedfiend; :cheers a motorbox Corvette coupe has been on my buy list for probably 2 years but some other model has always bumped it aside, mostly because I didn't know whether a Motorbox was worth the price, especially since they were under $50 a couple years ago.

I agree that those mounting posts on the back-up lights are crap and the doglegs look lousey. Regarding the engine ( I'm not a Y-gen & well remember the 327), the alternator was aluminum, not gold, and the block was orange, not red. Also, I don't think the "metelflake" paint acurately reflects the dark red of the 1:1 but I'm not sure.

In any case, it still looks like a very good model. Thanks again! :nicejob

G

·
Nice review and :coolpics

Does any one have detailed pics of the sunfire yellow- version? I can get a great deal on it and i just can't seem to find any good photos of the model in that color :help:

/Rich

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, guys! I'm glad you like it. :cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.