DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I look good in leather.
462 Posts
I've made the move towards higher-end 1/43s. I wasn't really satisfied with how some of the 1/18s I had were finished. Whilst I'm paying for the privaledge, I think these better 1/43s just look so right - and there's a far larger range of vehicles to pick from.

Anyway; the collection is small at the moment, but I'm looking at handbuilt 1/43s long term.

Enjoy.

[And yes - I'm blaming Felix for this... :giggle]

Looksmart Lamborghini R-GT Valencia

Looksmart Lamborghini R-GT Japan

Looksmart Lamborghini R-GT Imola

I also have a BBR/Gasoline Vitaphone Maserati MC12 which I'll take pictures of shortly.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Matt,
Those Lambos are quite impressive looking!!! I hear that these 1/43 cars present quite a dangerous (read: addictive :giggle ) slope to head down! Good Luck!!!

:cheers
Sean

·
I look good in leather.
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Indeed, Sean. A bit too slippery a slope for me! :giggle Pretty much any car will have a 1/43, or you'll be to find a kit for it. The Tecnomodel was the most I've ever spent on a model, but the detail and finish is second to none.

I recently managed to secure the 7th Spark road Zonda, so I now have the set. I'll get a snap of those when it arrives.

[Although, the Rossi 1:12s are still taking priority...]

·
Registered
4,910 Posts

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Oh my gosh!!! I got me some pricey kill stickers!!! Don't you just love those Looksmart R-GTs?! The JGTC car is a sharp looking model.

I'd love to hear your thoughts about how you compare the quality of your Looksmart models vs. the BBR vs. Technomodel. Thanks for showing your gems off to us. :coolpics

·
I look good in leather.
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Felix -
Whilst I won't even pretend to have a good knowledge of the handbuilt 1/43 genre, here's how I gauge them:

The Tecnomodel is by far the best piece I own. BBR also do a F430 GT. I sought opinion from various forums and sellers. It is the general opinion from the more experienced collectors that the models Tecnomodel produce [in particular the F430 GT and the 575 GTC] are superior to the BBR in terms of detail and finish. A camera won't pick up the interior detail on the TM F430 - which is a shame. Try and see one in a shop. So much detail crammed in such a small space. Paint is deep and perfect. Right height looks great, and the wheels are nice and large - I can't stand wheels that look too small… I think they both retail for a similar price, although the Tecnomodels seem to have a small release number, and the mounting is also nicer.

The MC12 Gasoline model I have is supposedly the 'budget' brand of BBR. Again, most investigation reveals aside from paying for the BBR name, and perhaps a nicer presentation/mounting, the Gasoline and BBR models are pretty much built to the same standard. [And I do agree that the BBR mounting is nicer, but you can buy a nice base separately, and cheaper…] Again, it's a high standard. Paint is thick and perfect. Deep gloss. Ride height is good, with a decent wheel size. Lots of small detail which, again, puts it in such a higher league compared to the more budget 1/43s that offer this particular model.

The Looksmarts don't quite have the level of detail and finish the Tecnomodel has. Not taking anything away from them though. Paint is good. Models proportions are good, with nice ride height, wheels, and interior detail. However, I picked up the LS's for around 40% to 60% of the cost of the Tecnomodel, and the difference is visible. The Scream [orange] R-GT's paint and decals look very delicate, whereas the Gasoline model I'd be happy handling off of the mount. However, I still adore my R-GTs - especially the Japan version. The model just looks spot on.

I'm looking at either a MR Collection LP640 and/or a Make Up F40 LM next.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Cool stuff, Matt :cheers
As has already been said, a very pricey path. Better you than me but I sure can see why you are going down it as they look fantastic!

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Thanks Matt for the thoughts about the three different brands. I know just what you mean about how some of the quality differences cannot be shown on the internet. The reality is the resolution of computer screens just does not do a good enough job. Now if we were showing actual pictures printed on paper, that'd be a different story. I recall seeing a couple BBR models and even there, I could see a considerable difference in the overall finish with Red Line models. I guess the high cost for the better 1/43 brands really goes towards the finer workmanship. In my mind, the high-end models in that scale can be looked upon as being crafted by artisans.

I forgot to mention how nice the F430 looks! The windshield looks spot on and the wiper appears to sit on it just right with the proper contour. I've got a couple "budget" hand-built cars where the wiper sits off just the slightest bit, but it is noticeable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.