DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this morning I went to the post office to pick up my package I won off an Evilbay auction, rushed home hoping to find a complete perfect set of #63 Lemans Winner and Rolling Chassis and what I found was less than stellar. First of all, I opened the shipping box (which looked small to begin with), and found they were Not in the original box. 2nd of all, I found several damaged and or missing pieces NOT included in the description. I don't have a digital camera so I can't show everyone the descrepancies but here they are:
1. No original packaging
2. Roll cage has broken pieces on the front section of rolling chassis car.
3. Almost every wheel is loose on both cars. Since I have no box, I have no toolset.
4. Missing mirror on Race car.
5. Missing Antenna on Race car.
6. Windshield has spots on it (maybe from a spray cleaner?)
7. Models slightly dusty as if stored out in the open.

The biggest thing is that I read the description of the item a couple of times looking for clues in it's condition and found nothing negative. Yes, looking back I feel I should've emailed the seller about the condition, but if things are missing and/or damaged, isn't that the responsibility of the seller to include that in their description? Isn't withholding that information a form of false advertising? I know I'm going to leave some sort of negative feedback, but I'm not sure what to do beyond that. I hate to say it but this is leaving me hesitant to buy anymore Exoto models EVEN though, I know they weren't directly responsible for any of this.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
That's just horrible!! What can you tell us about the eBay vendor & his reputation and # of transactions, past complaints, etc? At first blush, the vendor is unethical in non-disclosure of critical damages/missing parts.

You should do a screen capture of the eBay listing page before it disappears. That may be very important later on should you file an official claim through eBay. Would you be able to post the screen-cap or a link to that auction?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Pardon my French, BUT ...That just sucks!!!!!! I feel your pain, ive danced the old ebay "mint condition" shuffle before!!! I got a caddy LMP with a detached rear wing way more dust and wear than "only displayed in a case" Of Course that was just a few bucks, Not an Exoto!! so I let it go.... But I agree, something as serious as the damage listed should be reported in the discription!!!

Anyway, I dont know what to tell you to do, if there is any justice, the seller left positive feedback, and now you can discuss reperations or return without fear of negative feedback, otherwise... tread lightly!! (but im sure you already know all that)

However!!! Dont let one experince ruin your exoto experince, I got my first about a week and a half ago, and havent stopped drooling! In fact I decided to buy a couple of more!! If your not totally put off.... Sign up for Exoto's newsleter and wait for a deal (or they themselves seem to run a bunch of ebay auctions under ID Exoto1.... I think thats them, someone else may be able to confirm?) , or do as i do, wait till you see an ebay price at a Hobby Shop (Local or Internet).... Takes a bit of hunting, but thats half the fun for me!! (The hobby shop I bought mine from insisted that we take it out of the box to ensure there where no flaws or the like, which I really appriciate!)

Good Luck getting this resolved!!
Matt

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
StygianMax said:
At first blush, the vendor is unethical in non-disclosure of critical damages/missing parts.
Undoubtly. Did you contact the seller about all this? And it looks like as if Exoto isn't to blame here, only the seller.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Sellers like that give eBay an bad name. I have been buying and selling on eBay since it began, with 100%/600+ rating. I always inform my customers of the condition of the car, whether I have displayed it, taken it apart, etc. For a seller not to disclose the condition of the item is unethical, and they should not just receive Negative Feedback, they should be reported to eBay for unscrupulous sales practices. I have received items in the past, but never one where the damage had been hidden in the description.

Do not give up on Exoto, they make excellent, albeit expensive, models. Go after this seller, and disclose who it is to all of us here, so we can avoid them.

Good luck with retribution, you are due!

:fight

·
Registered
38 Posts
That is a shame :ranting , and the reason I stay away from WEPAY unless I know the seller from previous purchases. I would not give up on Exoto pieces based on a bad sale from a dishonest seller. I would try and get a refund, and send back the product. I have always been extremely happy with my Exoto purchases, and they take center stage in my collection. Try again, but purchase from a reputable Dealer.
........Lance :cheers

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I haven't taken any action Just Yet, I had to go to work for a few hours, but now that I'm back I'm about to start the "Resolving" process. Here is the link to the auction. Please read it and decide let me know if you see it how I saw it. Exoto Auction I read all the Buyer feedback info and found no negative or even neutral entries out of 40. It appeared as if everything was a green light on this one, but now I know otherwise. Time will tell what type of seller this guy really is. And also, I noticed this morning (after the fact) that the pictures don't show an antenna or side mirror, but not having ever seen one of these up close it wasn't apparent to me then.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Was this the decription you read at the time of bidding? I noticed the vendor revised the description at some point in time.

HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THIS IS OR WHAT ITS MADE OF EXCEPT ITS FINE METAL. MOST DETAILED MODEL IVE EVER SEEN. IT IS ACTUALLY TWO MODELS. STRIPPED DOWN AND WITH REMOVABLE SKINS. 10.5 INCHES LONG. IF ANYONE CAN ADD SOMETHING TO THE DESCRIPTION PLEASE DO.

As I quickly scanned through ~ 10 items this vendor has sold in the past, I haven't come across any diecasts. I see a lot of retro metal toys though.

G

·
Blitz, I feel for you in this situation, I honestly do. BUT, personally, based on the info and feedback (no diecast sales I could find) I wouldn't have touched this auction with a ten foot pole. Using an 11 foot pole I would have at minimum, bombarded the seller with questions. Who knows where he got them. He might not have known the mirror and antenna were missing. I mean honestly:

HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THIS IS OR WHAT ITS MADE OF EXCEPT ITS FINE METAL. MOST DETAILED MODEL IVE EVER SEEN. IT IS ACTUALLY TWO MODELS. STRIPPED DOWN AND WITH REMOVABLE SKINS. 10.5 INCHES LONG. IF ANYONE CAN ADD SOMETHING TO THE DESCRIPTION PLEASE DO.

This does not sound like he bought this from Exoto himself. If he did, that's a poor sales pitch. Or maybe he was playing dumb - I doubt it.

Hopefully you can reach some resolution. I would also hope anyone reading this thread will learn something. ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS people. It's your hard-earned money. It's easy to keep it up front, a lot harder to get it back once a deal goes south. If the seller answers honestly you have information to base your judgement on. If they are dishonest, you have recourse if you are not happy.

ASK:
Did you buy this new? When?
Has it been displayed? How long? Open or closed cabinet? Has it been exposed to cigarette smoke?
Any scratches or damage to the paint?
Any missing parts?
Has anything ever been repaired on it?
Does it come in a box?
How will you package it for shipping?
:cheers

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Richard made some verry good points there. One of my unbreakable rules when dealing with eBay and the such is to never buy anything from a seller that doesn't know much about diecasts, unless it's a absurdly good deal. From what I read this seller doesn't know zip about diecasts or Exotos, so he may have sold the car in good faith.

And you can see that the rear-view mirror and antennas are missing here:

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You both present good points. These are things I would have seen if I wasn't blinded by excitement to pick up an Exoto for a cheaper price. Unfortunately for me, being that I've never seen one in person, I wasn't looking at the antenna/mirror detail in the pics. I suppose I went against my better judgement on this one and didn't research the seller/item in it's entirety. (sigh) I might just stick to what I know, AutoArt, Kyosho and anything under.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
You may want to e-mail Exoto to see if you can get a replacement mirror and antenna. If they're anything like AutoArt, you might just get lucky.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'll have to agree with Richard. Now that I see the link to the sale page, it appears this seller was not in the "Know" about any diecast. Questions are very important, but sometimes they don't always get the results required to make a decision whether to purchase or not, especially from sellers who don't know anything about the hobby. :scared As pointed out, unless a killer deal is made, stay away from these type of sales.
........Lance :cheers

G

·
Oh man... I'm sorry to hear, Blitz.

Even if you file a complaint against the seller, I doubt eBay would do anything much unless he has prior and/or similar complaints.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would have to agree with what some of the others have said. The seller made it pretty clear they didn't know what they had, so it was a buyer beware thing. There was no mention of a box or packaging in the auction so it's fair to say it should not have been expected. If it were me I'd try to find replacement parts and leave it at that. Seems to me the seller sent the item exactly as it was shown in the auction pictures.

Nows in defense of ebay. I buy almost all my diecasts from ebay unless I can find it cheaper elsewhere. So far, after 5+ years of buying I have yet to have even ONE bad experience.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think I'll give that a shot. I mean truthfully, even though the models aren't perfect, I could "live" with the defects. I'm pretty embarassed for getting them, but I still like the fact that I have them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts