DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

This one is buried deep in my 1:18 Le Mans winners thread, but thought I would share here as well.

As part of home renovations/extension last year I successfully negotiated "one wall" downstairs to put stuff on (in return for conceding all other decisions on everything else :)), and used it to move the collection from the loft to our dining room.

I wanted to build the best possible display I could think of, couldn't find anything close on the market, so went bespoke - and also went a bit crazy with the LEDs:

Eyewear Home appliance Audio receiver Display case Audio equipment

Cabinetry Shelf Shelving Wood Interior design

Automotive design Home appliance Audio equipment Audio receiver Display case

Table Building Cabinetry Wood Chair

More details:
  • Designed it myself with Fusion 360, to fit the wall we had spare, and to balance maximum storage space with still having access to a side door.
  • After contacting loads of different companies all over the UK, the only one who were really up for the challenge were ironically enough 10 mins up the road from me - Corwell Furniture design, and they have been amazing throughout with building it. Wasn't cheap - but saved on design costs, as they worked straight from my CAD plans in the end
  • I did all the lighting myself. I wanted to get a defused light behind each shelf as a bit of "mood lighting" to provide silhouettes of each car, so each glass shelf sits in a wooden profile, with an LED strip behind them (in turn mounted in an ali profile, with a defused plastic cover)- 25mm from the black back boards. Each of the 3 sections of the cabinets is linked to a separate power supply, and a FIbaro z-wave RGBW module, linked to the smart home system
  • So have 16m colours to fiddle with for the mood lighting, and can make the glow really subtle or very pronounced, depending on the brightness settings. Unfortunately. camera phones really struggle with LEDs, so the pictures don't really capture it like real life
  • But the mood lighting mode doesn't really show off the models, so the the front of the cabinets have vertical LED strips also in aluminium profiles, they come on for minimum 5 mins if you walk near the cabinets, triggering a motion sensor in the ceiling
  • Designing was a lot of work (maybe 20-30 hours of CAD - and lots of Youtube tutorials!), but soldering and installing those LEDs was an absolute mission. 200+ connections to solder between all the strips and connecting wires. Never again! Thinking you have it all done, and then noticing one flicking section of one strip - there were definitely some dark moments in this project...
Wife reluctantly concedes it "doesn't look terrible", so that I think is a result in itself :)

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The display looks on point, especially the lighting.
The room itself needs more decor and suitable furniture, think man cave.
as someone else mentioned this is the dining room! its a minor miracle the missus agreed to it.... also pics are from September, a few weeks after build finished. there is a rug, and more stuff in there now..... plus a large print of a water colour of Le Mans at sunrise that i bought at the circuit last weeks, and somehow got sign off to put up :)

The Man Cave is upstairs - here's a pic of that (and Cosworth the Cat), with where the models used to be.... bit more Man Cavey i'm sure you'd agree!

Property Shelf Building Interior design Lighting

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Is that an Amalgram F1 car?
hah no, quite the opposite .. was a freebie. I worked at Vodafone(still do for one more week!), and this used to be on display in the old CEO’s office.

When the new CEO came into the job, he didn’t want it as Voda’s sponsorship of F1 was years before …one of my team spotted it just sitting unloved in a basement, let me know, and a bit of charm with the property team and they agreed it could go to a good home.

it’s a bit battered with a few bits broken off, and keep meaning to fix it one day. Only photo I can find from my phone this Saturday lie-in ti avoid going upstairs is this one …

don’t know who made it, but it’s not an Amalgam, not that level of quality

Vehicle Automotive lighting Car Hood Automotive tire

1 - 20 of 29 Posts