DiecastXchange Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
If Apple made display cases, it would look something like this.....so crisp and clean looking!
Kudos to the missus for allowing this in the dining room too lol.
Have you got any pics of the build in progress? I'm sure that would offer some inspiration for anyone looking to do something similar....

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
If Apple made display cases, it would look something like this.....so crisp and clean looking!
Kudos to the missus for allowing this in the dining room too lol.
Have you got any pics of the build in progress? I'm sure that would offer some inspiration for anyone looking to do something similar....
Well as this just popped up on my laptop as a notification and i've got the photos here, then sure - can share a few.

It took so much time and became such a mission i've got loads of them (!), here's a selection:

Design iteration probably 10.2.... I can only visualise things when in front of me in 3D, the cabinet maker could only do 2D - but we worked it out in the end:

Rectangle Parallel Building Slope Facade

Table Furniture Rectangle Outdoor furniture Outdoor table

Rectangle Parallel Font Slope Diagram

First shots i got from their workshop.... design just about fitted their ceiling. Loads of back and forths at this stage - they really thought hard about how it would be assembled, and how we could build in stages to leave me free to do all the wiring....

Furniture Building Shelf Shelving Wood

Shelf Cabinetry Closet Shelving Wood

First stage assembly was start of December - delayed a few weeks because of the big Covid wave in the UK, and lots of self-isolation messages:

Plant Property Photograph Flower Black

Over Xmas there was soldering. I mean - a lot of soldering. never again - my Christmas 2021 i will always remember as half listening to Xmas movies on the TV whilst occasionally burning my fingers:

Table Desk Circuit component Electronic instrument Electrical wiring

It had about 6 weeks this far off the wall - to get all those LEDs working, all the wires routed, and not flickering (and i am no expert with the soldering iron) was hard work.... but got it done eventually:

Purple Wood Gas Tints and shades Electricity

Wires from the shelf profiles to the back covered by little 3d printed white pieces - covering a wire channel the cabinet makers put in. You can spot them if you look closely, but you'd never notice them from the front.

Azure Building Rectangle Stairs Fixture

Didn't do the final work to move it back to the wall and fit the doors until late Jan - party because the thing now weighed probably 250kg and needed more than me, wife and a 12 year old, but mostly because everyone got Covid (apart from me...). They delivered the backboards just after Xmas though, so fitted them myself to save a bit of time:

Fixture Blue Wood Shade Curtain

and then the final install was late Jan, with everyone Covid free:

Picture frame Decoration Purple Table Fashion

I've taught myself how to design stuff with CAD, and can do basic electronics- but the amount of experience these guys had on the built and their attention to detail and quality was amazing. I forgot the radiator pipes on the left for example, so they changed a lot of the rear construction to handle it; they had worked out exactly what steps we would take to not trip over each other when doing the wiring.

Was a lot of fun- my worst nightmare is the LEDS failing... we have an access door bottom right for the drivers, but getting to the rear lights means whole thing comes out. The right hand bank when cranked up to 100% will sometimes flicker, so i keep it 60% max and just decide to ignore it and hope :)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Simply amazing! Thanks for sharing all the details....I can only hope for something like this one day.
You're a very lucky man :cool:

·
Registered
289 Posts
As said previously great work by the team. I was shocked to see this is MDF, how did they finish it then with a spray finish or wrapped in white gloss? Pics helped me to understand how you lite the rear of the shelfs, do you also have verticle ones down the side of the doors as well? So you can do shelf back lighting or side door lighting. Think I'm finally going to pull the trigger and build one this winter I'm in desperate need of a professional cabinet and lighting.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
As said previously great work by the team. I was shocked to see this is MDF, how did they finish it then with a spray finish or wrapped in white gloss? Pics helped me to understand how you lite the rear of the shelfs, do you also have verticle ones down the side of the doors as well? So you can do shelf back lighting or side door lighting. Think I'm finally going to pull the trigger and build one this winter I'm in desperate need of a professional cabinet and lighting.
Sorry last question I promise.... did you have sliding doors fit or do they swing open? How's dust been?
Yep - MDF, and believe sprayed to an eggshell finish.

and yep - there are 6 vertical 1.5 meter aluminium profiles housing another LED circuit (9 meters worth, can't go longer than 10 with these RGBWs!).... when they are on the models are illuminated in details when off, their profiles/silhouettes are highlighted but whatever colour i've chosen at the time for the shelf lights - usually a brown/copper colour is what i've settled on for these past few months.

When you walk past the cabinets there is a motion sensor in the ceiling that lights up the models for 5 minutes. "Alexa - trigger pimp my cabinets" also makes the whole thing go rainbow, but the troublesome third shelf section somestimes flickers, so haven't done that recently -too worried they will fail and the whole thing comes out

Glass doors - at the absolute max recommended size for the 6mm thickness. Finding tracks that could take the weight, but also fitted the size took a while - but we found one eventually after much googling. They don't exactly open easy - but they only need really open once a year anyway.

Dust not really a big issue - the previous cabs have much bigger openings for the doors, were in place since 2015, and the models i confess were rarely in most cases never dusted, but as part Big Model Moving Monday (tm), I gave them all a light dust - but there wasn't much there at all.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
... also , if you want the original 2D plans if they help at all, or the 3D CAD file if you have Fusion 360, happy to share if it helps with inspiration!

Reactions: mcaf123

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Gorgeous display! Absolutely phenomenal. I am going to move towards something extremely similar to this as it's impossible to source IKEA Bertby cabinets and I like how this is integrated into the wall.

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts