DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Custom Huracan Roadster

When I heard the news about the upcoming Welly Lamborghini Huracan, I decided to turn my Maisto/Bburago Huracan
into a concept roadster and replace it with they Welly one when it is eventually released. The Maisto/Bburago, in my opinion,
is a decent, low-end die-cast; however, like most Maisto stuff though, there is always room for improvement with added
details and such. And with that, this seemed like a good opportunity to create a custom, one-off build.

First up was the removal of the roof and figuring out the curvature for the rear deck lid.

Here are a couple of shots with the roof panel cut out and rear deck lid in place.

A few shots of the body after it was stripped down to bare metal, primered, the additional roof structure added, and the final test
fitting of the rear deck lid and clear panel.

Now the fun stuff. I am sure people will hate the color but I love it! since it is a fantasy vehicle, I figured why not do something funky!

The body color was carried over to the stock wheels to give them a bit more style.

I went with a wild and coordinated interior color scheme as well. Body colored center console trim,
door trim and dash vents. The seats got a splash of green to play off the exterior paint color.

The final build all put together.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Exterior color works well...nice to see the effort.....:)

·
Registered
797 Posts
thanks guys.....its called Lime green pearl and over a grey or white primer, the color comes out much lighter. I did a couple of test sprays first though...over white, matte silver, and then black. For me, I thought that the color over black was the most unique. I do like the funky lime green color that the stock Huracan can be had in, but since this was more of a "fantasy" build, I wanted something equally out there. I like it so much, I may just redo the Aventador Targa I created in the same shade at some point.

·
Banned
334 Posts
Love it.

Am I the only one who thinks it looks like a Sesto elemento when it was matte black

·
Registered
647 Posts
Cool mod, beautifully done. At least a bit of Lambo madness back into the Huracan. That's what I like about Bburago's. They are such good models for modding. Cheap, but good price/quality and easily disassembled.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool custom! Before the Aventador roadster was unveiled, someone on here did the same thing with a bburago, and the finished thing was quite similar to Lamborghini's version. You've done a good job.
Hahaha....that might have been me.....I turned my Maisto/BBurago into a targa version just before I got the Autoart Aventador roadster

·
Registered
495 Posts
Just wondering, but what do you use to cut metal roofs? Would love to do this on mine as well

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Haha! I too love that shade of green! And if you wanna go funky on a Lambo, that's a good color to pick

Repeating that same green on the wheels however ain't my appetite, nor the green elements in the interior.
The green on the seats are "summer-ish"

·
Registered
797 Posts
Well done with the paint job man !

Do help fellow newbies and tell us tools tricks and process
At some point, i'll make a step by step pictoral "how to"...but here is the gist of it....

1. Well I dabble with an airbrush every now and then, but more often than not, my paint jobs are acheived with rattlecan paint. I tend to buy
Duplicolor paint from an autoparts stores...prefer laquer over enamel.

2. All metal parts get soaked in a stripper by JASCO called Premium paint and epoxy remover. will get the paint off in 15 mins or less, is water
soluable (so i can rinse the bodies in the sink to remove all residue). This stripper is EXTREMELY caustic stuff though and will burn your skin.
Super important is that you must also remove ALL PLASTIC(I learned this the hard way with my Norev Panamera), as this stuff will quite literally
turn plastic into goo. As for any plastic body panel parts that are body coloroed, they get a wet sand with a fine grit sand paper before priming.

3. Next I prime....again with simple cheap rattle can paint. I let it dry for a few hours and wet sand with a 1500 grit sand paper, then another light primer
coat and 2000 grit wet sand. Metal parts sometimes get a very light "bake" in a toaster oven, but I
dont always do this....it depends on the weather and humidity (I live in Houston and it can get downright humid here in the
summer, so "baking at under 200 degrees can help immensly) Plastic parts dont get the bake and are just placed somewhere dust free to dry.

4. My paint jobs always get a minimum of 2 color coats and 3 clear coats as well (each coat is light and allowed to dry for at least 10 mins. Since the
color coat is laquer, it is fast drying and any mistakes can be addressed fairly fast with a wet sand. This is always done with a 2000-3000 grit wet
sandpaper. rare I wet sand the clear coats, but it just depends on the car and how well the coats go down. At this point, I leave them to dry at least
3 DAYS, if not longer. Then that final coat is polished with a meguires rubbing compound (soft cloth and by hand) and followed up with a good quality
wax.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haha! I too love that shade of green! And if you wanna go funky on a Lambo, that's a good color to pick

Repeating that same green on the wheels however ain't my appetite, nor the green elements in the interior.
The green on the seats are "summer-ish"
Thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.