DiecastXchange Forum banner

My Dick Trickles

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  No_Name_Collector 
#1 ·
Dick Trickle - Wikipedia

Dick Trickle was the greatest short track racer in all of stock car racing with over 1200 feature wins. : NASCAR (reddit.com)

Ertl made on 1/18 version of one of Dick's rides, an ASA Thunderbird sponsored by Arctic Cat snowmobiles.

Of course, as the Wikipedia article points out, Trickle was an accomplished snowmobile racer.

ASA-52 by Jim Forte, on Flickr

Thunderbird Pic by Jim Forte, on Flickr

Recently, we completed a custom of Dick's A&W Root Beer-sponsored Ford Boss 302 Mustang.

The donor was the tried and true Welly/ACME Boss 302 "Trans Am" racer.

One of the first things you have to do on these is to correct the erroneous induction system that plagued the earlier versions.

My corrected single four-barrel on the left, "stock" fuel injected error on the right.

IMG_6554 by Jim Forte, on Flickr

Of course, as my painter pointed out to me, I also put a cowl-induction air box on it, which hides all the work I do.

IMG_6555 by Jim Forte, on Flickr

Here's a picture of Trickle's Mustang.

decals-1972-99-mustang-dick-trickle by Jim Forte, on Flickr

Here's the custom.

IMG_6556 by Jim Forte, on Flickr

IMG_6557 by Jim Forte, on Flickr

See less See more
#2 ·
I covered the stack with a similar induction box, although I didn't correct the stacks - they are not visible.
Do you know if the Welly was the basis for the other manufacturer releases of the 69 TransAm?
My ACME Sam Posey version seems to be identical - detail wise - to your Welly version.
I just couldn't bring myself to get a '70 version, the front clip is awful....

#4 ·
Here's my Flickr album on what it takes to get to where I make them correct.

Any and all Welly/ACME Boss 302's are screwed up. The later versions where they added the headlight induction air box have the old fuel injection intake manifold hidden underneath.

Not what I was expecting when I clicked on the thread
Made you look!

😉

#8 ·
Phil Good

Lenny Pond and Lake Speed, when racing together

Alan Kulwicki (Quicky)

Harry Gant, always seemed dirtier than it should have been

Rick Mast and Greg Sacks spent a lot of time in the same car, not at the same time of course

And there is something about a guy named Scott Speed, who was slow as shit, as endlessly hilarious.

#10 ·
WHOA!! What an opening title Jim!!! Interesting Driver's name 😊

I wonder is his first name really Richard and with Petty out there, maybe he just went by "Dick" to be different?
Another AMAZING build by Jim! 👏👏 I love that you know about these details that many people who probably call themselves racing fans might not even notice.
One thing that I can say is, that since knowing you I have learned a lot about the history of auto racing in America and I am that much wiser because of it. :)You're someone who I really appreciate and who has enriched my life even further in an automotive way! CHEERS!🥂

#13 ·
They are most certainly and clearly erroneous when in a Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) Trans Am or amateur equivalent A-Sedan configuration!

I owned a 1969 Camaro prepared to contemporary SCCA A-Sedan specifications and raced against Mustangs prepared according to those same rules.

While initially, multiple four-barrel carburetors were allowed, by 1969, there was a specific Holley four-barrel rule.

There were never, ever any Weber-equipped Mustangs raced in the United States.

Moffat's car, at least the chassis, was constructed in the United States to Trans Am specifications (although we did not, for example, have to mount a spare wheel and tire), however the engine was prepared to Australian Touring Car rules.

It would not have been legal in the Trans Am.

However, I am aware that Moffat did compete in the SCCA Trans Am in a Mustang. I can assure you that car had a single four-barrel carburetor, per the rules that existed for that series at that time.

The Solana car, as well, while the chassis may have been constructed in the United States to a common Boss Mustang competition template, also ran under an entirely separate set of rules for endurance racing in Mexico.

It, too, would not have been legal in the Trans Am.

I also served as crew chief on a Lotus Elan that we raced in Mexico during that era. The breadth of the field had a definite "run what ya brung" look. Their rules were quite liberal with respect to a number of performance-enhancing modifications, apparently including engine induction.

So, in conclusion, when Welly created the initial "Trans Am" Mustang in 1/18 scale, they used the Moffatt car as a source, and the very first ones were liveried as such, therefore correctly presented.

They then went on to produce a litany of SCCA Trans Am and A-Sedan liveries using the same molds, and they are patently and absolutely incorrect as initially presented.

They then attempted to correct that glaring error by putting an air box on top of the still incorrect multi-throat intake manifold. All they did was remove the chrome funnels and glue on the air box.

They did nothing to correct the fact that there should have only been one four-barrel carburetor underneath.

When ACME acquired those molds, they perpetuated the error of air box over multi-throat intake.

My modifications make the induction system as presented on the Welly/ACME "Trans Am" Mustang correct, for SCCA Trans Am and A-Sedan (and Nascar Grand American series) liveried models.

Reactions: No_Name_Collector
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.