DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my first attempt of customising a model I tried to modify my old Bburago 300SL with some parts (only wheels) of my old Bburago EB110...

I really did nothing else than taking the bumpers and the front grid off and changing the wheels. But the result is pretty interesting...
Now I think about modifying the color, the interior and the exhaust pipe (too long without bumpers).

View attachment 22003

View attachment 22004

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm liking the outcome. Those Bug wheels make the SL look very sporty! :cool

Keep us posted with the progress, Thomas! :happy

:cheers

·
Registered
994 Posts
Looks pretty cool actually! Keep up the good work and good luck with the further project! :cheers

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Looks good. I think these cars can look great with a "modern" interpretation of their looks.

I am working on a 300 SL mod (rebuild) and I tried the same wheels on the other night!!!! I have seen a charcoal grey one and I am thinking of smoothing the body of my one out and painting it either yellow or charcoal grey with a black bonnet and boot. I will also fit Mercedes CLK-GTR wheels to it. As these wheels are REALLY WIDE I am looking at making a new chassis for it, as I think I can make one out of tubing (space frame chassis?).

I am also working on a e-type Jaguar convertible and if these two work out I will try a Ferrari Testa Rosa 1952.

Do you have another 300SL? It was the first 1:18th scale model I had so I didn't want to take it apart. I now have three, two in excelent condition (one I boght recently second hand) and the third I got off Ebay that was a "failed" mod.

Peter

·
Registered
919 Posts
Sharp looking. And the wheels really bring out the sportiness of the car. You are right about the exhaust pipe being too long. But I really like your ideas here. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
It sounds good for me... :cheers :cheers

I have one that I also remove the bumpers and the front grid, but I kept the original wheels withoy the chromed covers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the nice comments !!! Unfortunately I will not be able to continue before a long time as I am separated from my diecasts... :cry
But I will tell you about the progess.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
No I have only this one Peter. But as it was a toy for me, the paint is in bad shape and some parts are missing (I think) so the only thing I can do is to tune it !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Funny, that's approximately what I wanted to do !! Yours is very nice !! Are these wheels from a CLK ? It looks great. Concerning the height over the ground, I agree with you. It is one of the models you can put on the ground and still looks good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts