DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I would like to offer my review on the following model: GMP 1/18 John Surtees 1966 #3 Lola T70 Spyder. I Picked this model up last week for a really low price off of Ebay.

This model was released in 2000 and the production run was 2,504. I own #1504
This is the criteria I am judging and writing my review on.

Fit and finish
Body
Interior
Engine and engine bay
Suspension and tires

I will be scoring on a 5 point system per section with a total of 25 points possible.

First on the list is "Fit and finish" Overall the T70 looks great, smooth paint with the correct color red. The paint has been applied correctly with the paint in the hood edges, fender openings and door creases not being too thin. The rear opening hood seats well to the body. The graphics for the dealer decals are crisp and clear and are the correct scale. The graphics are also period era correct, as each race the car participated in, had different sponsor decals added to it. 5 out of 5 points

Body: The body on the T70 is smooth with no mold lines to interrupt the skin.
The hood on this model is large and fits well to the body, seems are minimal. The air scoops for the motor are the correct size, front and rear, with the rear scoops being painted black, a nice detail. The fuel filler caps are sharp and plated well. The front dive plane is proportioned well to the scale and sits nicely under the front of the nose. The rear of the car looks as aggressive as the front, with the white surfaces of the exhaust tips peaking out a tad from under the rear spoiler. The big problem with this body are the doors, it doesn't have any. What a shame, GMP could have scored big points in this area if they had designed opening doors. The crease depth of the molded-in doors is also too shallow. The stalk supports for the rear view mirror are too thick and the wrong color. The windshield is not as clear as it should be.
2 out of 5 points.

Interior: The interior is sparse, as a sports car should be, but what lacks in this model is the detail, the cockpit is too neat and tidy, where is the detail on the pedals, where are the all the readable gauges, where is the crisp inlaid detail of the floor pan and the gear shift lever? The driver's seat is done nicely with soft to the touch plastic and the 4 point harness. 2 out of 5 points

Motor and motor compartment: The motor is where GMP really dropped the ball on this model. The T-70 in real life is an eight cylinder motor. GMP decided to put an eight cylinder intake manifold with what appears to be Webber carburetors and air horns on an engine block that has a six point distributor and a set of headers that should sit on a six cylinder engine. That's not the bad part, what is totally discouraging is that GMP didn't make the effort to try to replicate a set of spark plug wires off the top of the distributor. Instead of hanging the wires off the top of the cap, they stuck them down low almost out of site to the back of the distributor in a vertical line. The rest of the compartment is too sparten, missing cooling lines, bake lines and battery cables. 1 out of 5 points

Suspension and tires: The tires for this model are nice fat Firestone's and look to be correct for that era of racing. They are clean with crisp, tight lettering with a good tread pattern (rain tires?)-perhaps. The suspension pieces up front and in the rear are nice, clean crisp parts that look great. The wheels are clean and neat with good clear detail on every spoke. The half shafts to the rear wheels are nice with good detail for the U-joints.
5 out of 5 points

With a total of 15 scored points for this model don't count it out of your collection, especially if you like the mid 60's Can Am cars. The lack of engine detail is something that can be corrected. If you're able to pick one up for yourself for under $50.00 US, then you have scored a good deal.

Larry :cheers
***Pictures added by DX Staff***

Attachments

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Hey Larry, I just spotted this review. When I have a moment tonight, I'm going to move this to the Reviews sub-forum and create a link to it from the masterlist for diecast reviews.

BTW, could you please squish the dimensions down to 640x480 pixels AND no more than 60kb? Thanks!

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Very nice review MS, thanks for taking the time and effort. :cheers

I agree that these are well worth the money that they cost and they look great on the shelf :nicejob

Couple of things, if you look closely, you will see the 4 exhaust pipes on each side instead of three. You have to turn the model a bit, you can't see them if the car is setting on a table but they are there.

I am not positive but I thought the distributer was really a magneto?
If this is the case, the spark plug wires are coming out in the correct fashion.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Small Block Chevy engines have what are known as "siamesed" exhaust ports for the middle two cylinders on each bank. It has been a bane to Chevy engine developers since the 283 V-8 was introduced in the 50's. Having those two exhaust ports side to side creates a hot spot in the heads, and makes routing the headers for proper scavenging a real pain in the a**. For someone not familiar with the Small Block Chevy engine, I can see how it would look like a mistake on GMP's part, but at that scale, they are literally close to the same.

And yes, Can Am cars ran with a magneto, and since Small Block Chevy spark plugs are parked right down in a parallel plane with the exhaust ports, the wires run under the headers.

One of the details of the GMP that is lost, since GMP chose not to give easy access to it, is how much they did under the front bodywork:

:cheers

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
That's a very good question LUW, especially since ibj40 shows the detail work already done under the front cover. The only obvious reason was that they thought that they could not sell the model at the price they wanted if they had to pay the additional costs of making opening doors and an opening bonnet. However, the T 70's came out at a price of $80- $90 not long afte their McLaren M8B's which at least had opening doors for about the same price. :confused

Regarding the review, in my opinion the interior should have been rated higher. And in regard to the number of header pipes, keep in mind that a many different engines, not just Chevys, were put into the T 70's, including at least Buick and Ford. While I don't have the Surtees version, I do have three others. The fourth header is apparent on two but does not exist on the Penske/Donohue version which I'm pretty sure was a Chevy engine. :cheers

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Which Penske, Bob?
My #6 has all 4 (very hard to see) and is a Chevy :cheers

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
My #16 has four as well

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the Mag Vs Dist, I'll research the Lola racing archives for more motor pics and get back to you all with my findings

I looked again and I'll stand by my statement that the headers on this car are wrong. Having built a few LT-1 and rat motors I know what headers for a V8 look like...and this model is not wearing them :confused

Thanks for reading my review. :cheers

·
Registered
20 Posts
Same goes for the Mclarens, I picked up a Gurney high wing M8B minus the wing cheap and tried to get one from GMP (no knock to them they have helped before). Anyway took the front off and I was surprised what was under the front. It's now displayed minus the body.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Not only have I built and raced a number of Small Block Chevy engines, I have also dissassembled a number of GMP Lolas. The Small Block Chevy Headers distinctly have four tubes:

What is obscuring your view is the fact that the version you are reviewing has the 48 IDA Side-Draft Weber set-up, with a heat shield installed, that inhibits you from seeing the second siamesed mid-engine exhaust port and header.

GMP's only mistake on the Lola Can Am Series was to not complete the removable front bodywork/movable doors component (especially with the under nose/cockpit detail).

:cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the tip on the under nose detail guys...I'll have to tear mine apart tonight :giggle

1 - 15 of 15 Posts