DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BASE CARS
ERTL 80S CORVETTE
MAISTO ZR1

I am about to start my callaway sledgehammer custom. I do have some question you might be able to answer. I am going to have to cut some precise holes in the metal of this car. (I am using the red ertl vette, it is a closer match than the zr1). What would you suggest to use? I have a dremel, but all of the tools are too wide to cut small holes. The holes are as follows.
The 4 small front air holes right above the front bumper
side vents right behind the front wheels
side vents right behind the rear wheels
Also, is there a putty or filler I can use to shape the body? The rear of the car has to be straightened and the exhaust moved to the middle, as opposed to the far left and far right exhaust exits on a stock vette. I also have to smooth out the front bumper in the middle were the license plate is. I do not know where to pick a filler up at, or what type to get.
Also, I am trying to get opinion on this topic. I am thinking about blacking out the windows because the interior does not match the sledgehammers. That and the fact I cannot find detailed pics of it. Along with that, I am thinking about shutting and sealing the hood. The zr1 engine from the Maisto will not fit into the frame properly. I also do not have setail parts of a twin turbo zr1 engine laying around either.
Answer as much as you can if you time. I would greatly appreciate this. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

here are some pics of the car

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would like to thanks allan, scott s, and tom (national diecast) for all of the help. this is going to be a crazy project.

UPDATE
step is complete. the car is stripped apart. after i sand it down, I am going to be cutting it. this is where i am either going to give up, or finish it. the front 4 intake holes and wrap around nose piece is going tobe challanging, so thoe are first. stay tuned for updates.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i will. i have stripped the car completely now (windoews, doors, frame) it will be sanded, and the cutting will comence. I just hope all goes well, if not this custom will come to an end quickly. keep checking back here every so often.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats on starting this project, sometimes they can take a while to complete. Don't get discouraged, if you want a masterpiece, its not going to happen with one brush stroke. Keep us updated and I can't wait to see the finished piece. ;-)

Are you going to paint it tha funky Sledge Hammer Green

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the sledgehammer was silver. you are thinking of the the speedster, which came about because of hte sledge.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes

I've only been attracted to the speedster, radical but still very functional. I saw one when I was in Florida a few months ago, what a nice ride.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hi Joe,

Remember!!! Just take your time to do it.......Nothing in the hurry
when come to mod a car ......All you need is self confident and
Patience is the name of the game

1 - 10 of 10 Posts