DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I am currently working on modding my yellow 360 spider from hotwheels... my first objective is to change the color of the model. However, as i was taking the model apart, I couldn't figure out how I could take the front headlights off.. anyone has any experience with this?? Please help!!! If I can't take them off successfully without breaking anything, then basically my project is gone! so if any of you know how to... please help!! Thanks.

·
Registered
923 Posts
If you dismantle it down to the metal mould, you should find two posts on which the headlights are mounted. If you lift them slowly with a flathead screw driver at first then with your fingers, you should be able to able to remove the headlights without damaging them. Remember, doing it slowly is the safest way as it is least likely to damage the headlights.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help castrol, i will try and do that now. Do you or anyone else know how i could take the original paint off the mould? Do i just use sandpaper?? thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you dismantle it down to the metal mould, you should find two posts on which the headlights are mounted. If you lift them slowly with a flathead screw driver at first then with your fingers, you should be able to able to remove the headlights without damaging them. Remember, doing it slowly is the safest way as it is least likely to damage the headlights.
I got it.. thanks!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Thanks for the help castrol, i will try and do that now. Do you or anyone else know how i could take the original paint off the mould? Do i just use sandpaper?? thanks.
Any time, ApeGen. That's what we're all here for.

About the paint, I'm not too hot on painting models but you can check these previous threads for help and advice on painting:

http://www.diecastxchange.com/forum/viewto...opic.php?t=2298
http://www.diecastxchange.com/forum/viewto...opic.php?t=1948
http://www.diecastxchange.com/forum/viewto...opic.php?t=1575

Hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone know if i need to use paint thinner to strip the original paint off before i put on the primer? Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sand it down till its bare. Then you may want to apply a nice coat of primer to it and then lay the paint.

What color is it going to be. :?:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Ape, paint thinner will not remove paint from your diecast. I use a product called "Polly Super Strippa" which is a gel that when brushed onto a surface will stay there long enough to do it's job. Ten to 15 minutes after application most of the paint will come off with a (old) toothbrush and warm water. The process can be repeated as required for a completely clean mold. I can have a diecast ready for painting in less than 30 minutes. DO NOT use this product on plastic parts.

If you're changing the color from light to dark (white to silver), use some fine abrasive to scuff the original paint and apply your new paint to that. This process is far less time consuming and if done right, can produce good results as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sand it down till its bare. Then you may want to apply a nice coat of primer to it and then lay the paint.

What color is it going to be. :?:
I already tried sanding it.. but seems like the paint is very hard to get rid of :? .. Anyway, i am changing it to black

1 - 11 of 11 Posts