DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This must be the daftest question anyone has ever asked, but is there a trick to removing the bonnet retaining strap from a UT models Ferrari 550?

Mine arrived this morning, and I assume the straps around it are the original ones - they look like it. But I can't remove the bonnet/hood one. I have cut it to free it from around the bonnet itself, but it still remains stuck underneath, in amongst the steering mechanism and front wheels. I have tried for quite a while and even tried removing the 2 front chassis screws, but I can't seem to free it, and I'm worried I will damage something if I just tug at it any harder.

So anyone with any ideas, please pass them on. I am really happy with the model, but I can't photograph and display it with bits of plastic poking out :pullhair

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
John (Mox) advised me to add a photo to try and show the problem, so I have done my best to capture the area in question. It only shows a limited amount because even when holding the model I can really see very little of where the strap goes or might be stuck.

I have cut off the part of the strap that went over the hood to leave the end that you can see. This then threads through the wheelarch and into the chassis somewhere.

Tire Automotive tire Tread Bumper Wheel

Attachments

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I have a UT Opel Calibra that had a similar strap underneath it. That was a bout 3 years ago, but if I recall correctly, I gave it a bit of a tug to pull it out. I loosened it up by pulling it from either side. I know I did not have to disassemble the undertray to remove it.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it's done. I just hoped for the best and kept trying to loosen it and free it until it came unstuck. I don't think there's any damage done, and it still seems to sit and roll ok.

Worst thing is I already learnt how I absolutely must not touch the rims, because they are very, very sticky and easily marked and smeared onto the tyres. Damn UT and their stupid paint.

Anyway, if we get a reasonably bright day I can get some photos done now, and hopefully have it posted in the forums in a day or two :yahoo

Thanks for the advice, and I will leave the title un-edited for those who want a bit of a laugh!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.