DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry if thisis a bit too bling bling for some of u purists :wink
I would like to know if anyone can tell me how I would go about putting neon lights on the underside of a 1/18 model?I really have absolutely no idea so any pointers would be nice.
Don't worry,I only intend to put them on a 'bling car' :lol
Cheers,
Tony

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
I'm not sure there's enough space to put true neons under a diecast. But, I recall someone having inserted LEDs into a car. I think one person stuck them underneath, and Venom put them in as headlights (into a Toyota GT-One??) You'd have to do a little digging but I do recall someone simulating a underbody light kit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks,I'll start digging then :lol
I found one thread dating back to January but the guy never got around to posting any pics.
I'll look into the LEDS.
Cheers,
Tony.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Tony, I think the only way to do it would be using LEDs. Some weeks ago somebody posted a link to a Japanese (if I'm not mistaken) moder who had put lights EVERYWHERE on the car, from headlights, to tail lights and even interior lights. So it's totally "doable", and the eletronics part isn't complicated. Here in Brazil it's a fever to put LEDs and sound (using small headphone speakers) in everything. Not my cup of tea but some very interesting stuff.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
There was someone here a few months ago who made almost unbelievable diner dioramas which had neon lighting. I can't remember his name ( dinerfan?) and I can't find him in a search but I'm sure others remember him. He described how he created neon lights and used LEDs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys,looks like LEDS is the way to go.I'll let u know how I go.
Cheers, :cheers
Tony.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
they are typically for full sizes cars those ones mate.

the one I have seen used was literally a real thin flexible tube (almost like fibreoptic) with a battery box attached with the on/off switch...

Ive seen it use on one model.... will see if I have pics or not....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I figured they were for full size cars but I saw the neon strips at 100mm lengths and I figured that would be the perfect size for a 1/18?Still no reply from the company yet and for some reason I think I won't get one.
I have looked at getting one of the kits from the US site though I fear the postage will be a killer
:hot

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nah seriously mate.. go into Jaycar when you get time..

we found the kit used by my mate for like 24 bucks...

I cant find any photo's of the model he used it on but it worked bloody well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HELLLPPPP!!!!!
I purchased some 100mm neons plus an adapter.As I was buying them I thought to myself "I can work out how to do this,how hard can it be?"
Famous last words as I have come to the conclusion that I am hopeless so I need an idiots guide to connecting all this up.
If anyone can help I would be extremely grateful.
Here are some pics of the stuff I bought
http://community.webshots.com/photo/507321...507330676WZVRlZ
http://community.webshots.com/photo/507332...507332235sdMQDd
http://community.webshots.com/photo/507333...507333034npBory
:cheers
Tony.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I did it the easy way, and just got one of the F&F "StreetGlow" edition cars, I have seen 3 different ones from the 1st movie, "the Red Rx7, the Orange Supra & the Black Civic"

(Click photo to enlarge, dial up warning VERY large Photo 637K)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah,I've seen the streetglow Civic but I havent seen the others.I was planning on putting neons on the Skyline,the RX7 and the green Eclipse.
At the moment though I have almost $200 worth of gear doing nothing as I don't know how to connect them
:help

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Wow not cheap gear, I got neons for my 1:1 car, "inside floorwells" all up cost me $60 from Repco, they had heaps of different styles, but i only got 2 nenos & switch & wired em up, but putting them in a diecast I have not thought of.

Hope you work it out, look forward to seeing them.

BTW, here are the other cars from the Street Glow range.

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Damn,wish I'd done more research on these models as I have these 3 minus the neons. :blowup
My missus and I have been talking about neons for either my car or hers just because ................we can :lol
Tony.
P.S,It appears no-one here knows how I can connect the ones I have so I will take them back to the shop tomorrow and ask them(which is probably what I should have done before I bought them..sigh..)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts