DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found that a digital camera in my work is able to work in "macro" mode and that is why I had to try it. Below is a result. I must admit that these photos look much beter than my previous ones and I will probably re-photo all my collection.

G

·
That looks really good Lazard. That macro is a pretty useful feature to have. Have fun re-shooting your collection and would love to see more photos. :cheers

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Big Improvement :nicejob

Lets see some more pics :danbanna

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Those images do look much clearer. :cheers

I don't use macro very often, unless I want close up shot like shooting pictures of the engine, interior, or wheels. Plus, when taking those close-ups I usually place the camera less than 3 inches from the car.

Macro doesn't work well for taking my images outside unless I only want a specific area of the car in focus. When using macro outside the background will not be in focus at all.

Since you took your pics inside and your background is the wall, this isn't a problem. :cheers

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
WOW!!! Your pictures do look much sharper! Glad you discovered the "macro" function.

I do recall vegasracer saying that he does NOT shoot with the Macro function because his camera's high f-stop (22?) already gives him very crisp pictures. More importantly, I think enabling the Macro function negates the benefits of setting a high f-stop. Any feedback VR or Ronan even?

G

·
StygianMax said:
WOW!!! Your pictures do look much sharper! Glad you discovered the "macro" function.

I do recall vegasracer saying that he does NOT shoot with the Macro function because his camera's high f-stop (22?) already gives him very crisp pictures. More importantly, I think enabling the Macro function negates the benefits of setting a high f-stop. Any feedback VR or Ronan even?
I think by increasing the F stop, it's to increase the depth of view (DOV). However, when shooting with Macro, the depth of view became very shallow. Even, increase the F stop to maximum, the depth of view will be very small, probably less than 1 inch or something depending on your distance from the camera to the object..

So...if you shoot from far, increase the f stop will just do the job if you want everything in focus... However, if you want close up, you can only have certain part of the subject in focus..

This is my understanding.. probably, VR and Ronan have to give more details about this....

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
mars said:
StygianMax said:

I think by increasing the F stop, it's to increase the depth of view (DOV). However, when shooting with Macro, the depth of view became very shallow. Even, increase the F stop to maximum, the depth of view will be very small, probably less than 1 inch or something depending on your distance from the camera to the object..

So...if you shoot from far, increase the f stop will just do the job if you want everything in focus... However, if you want close up, you can only have certain part of the subject in focus..

This is my understanding.. probably, VR and Ronan have to give more details about this....
:lol :lol :lol I'm sure VR is the man to ask about this!!! But my guess is that you guys are correct in that when the f stop value is set high then macro is not needed, and in fact if I select macro on my camera it automatically sets a shallow depth of field so one end or the other of the model is out of focus.

But I think lazard is getting some superb results with the macro setting so it is the way to go I think with the camera he is using! :nicejob :nicejob :nicejob

G

·
That's interesting, obviously lazard is getting better results with macro mode even though you can see the rear wheels and the rear section of the car slightly blurred.

Personally, I only use macro for engine, interior or wheel detail close ups. Macro mode will reduce the Depth of Field so when you're shooting a 1/4 view of a model, it is unlikely that the whole car will be in focus which is a common problem. :cheers

·
Registered
817 Posts
Those are some really clear shots there Lazard!! way to go man! :nicejob :nicejob :nicejob I really like your red Plymouth too.. looks very sharp and agressive :drool :drool :drool :cheers

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Nice pics :nicejob :nicejob :nicejob :cheers

I used to use macro all the time with my cars, but now I only use it, like Rat, for the engines and such. My photos come out much clearer :cheers

G

·
Revisiting an old topic here as I still try to sort out taking decent pictures of my models. I'll attempt a few this evening so I can actually post something. No tripod for me yet (one step at a time) though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts