DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
I was quite tempted to get this when it came on sale. Here is a link to www.dpreview.com and a series of sample photos taken by it. It does have a macro mode which is important for taking close-up shots of models.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
The S3IS is a very nice camera, and one I have been looking at too. It is a bit more expensive though than other superzooms because it takes video better than the rest. Infact, its excellent. Image quality from what I have seen is great, although with higher ISO's(+200) the noise starts to degrade the photos. I believe this camera also has a supermacro mode too, which allows extreme close-ups(if there is enough light).

Other choices in this area include the Panasonic FZ7, Kodak P712, Sony H2 and H5 and the Fuji S5600. The Sony's have a lot of purple fringing though, and the Kodak doesn't use regular AUTOart's like the Canon which might be an issue for you.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
I guess the thing to do when shopping for a camera is to list what your anticipated uses for it are. That way, the features you select are "needs driven". I've approached my next camera acquisition in the same way. That way, you don't pay for features you won't use, and you don't inadvertently leave out features you'll probably need. If you're wanting features that can capture photos of your kids as they're moving about quickly, a fast action digicam is a good idea. From what I've read, the Fujifilm S5100/S5200/S5600 series are all very good. Because of their low-light sensitivity, there's less lag time in taking the photos. The Macro feature is a must for diecast photos. :wink If you have other projected uses, list them out and we can offer some pointers to you. :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks gents,

I prolly should have asked first, but I picked this one up tonight.

My kids somehow claimed my old camera and my wifes camera is too complicated for me.

I really just wanted something I could just point and shoot with at a cheap price and get some decent pics. This one was the last one they had and it was on clearance - being that I am a cheapskate, I couldn't have stumbled on a better deal. :giggle

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
:lol I'd say you made an excellent choice, and since it was on clearance it was the best choice :giggle These superzooms are fun too, everything is now in reach to photograph. I could never go back to 3x optical zoom :happy

Enjoy the new camera, and that sweet little flip out LCD screen :yahoo

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Great new toy Darrick. I bet it was really the Sharapova pic on the screen that sold it for you wasn't it?! :giggle

I have been using a borrowed Nikon camera which I would guess is almost the equivalent of your one, and it does pretty much everything you would want it to. Personally I want to go for a full DSLR for myself in the end, because I hope to make use of the absolute manual control and option of different lenses, but if you want most of what a DSLR delivers, in one neat and slightly easier to live with package, these 'bridge' cameras seem perfect.

Look forward to seeing some results :cheers

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Congratulations Darrick!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Congratulation on your new camera Darrick.

I was looking into the same exact camera recently but after a lot of research on Canon digital cameras one little thing turned me off. The dreaded E18 error. After I started reading up on this problem and Canon's lack of addressing it I decided against this camera.

The E18 error happens when the lens gets stuck while trying to extend. The camera will beep a few times and the LCD will display a little E18 in the lower-left corner. The lens gets stuck in the extended position, and refuses to move either to focus the lens or to retract when powered off.

I read on several other forums about this problem and Canon lack of warrenteeing it in some cases.

Canon E18 Experiences

Fortunately, I haven't heard about the E18 error on the S3 IS. Perhaps the camera is still very new or Canon has fix the problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Sure do wish more people would take this type of attitude towards the hobby :lol

Seriously though, that sure is a lot of camera failures. :kick

So far, no problems to report and the pics looks like I want them to.

Thanks for all the information you guys have provided, most helpful indeed.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
I had forgotten about this E18 problem. I had given my wife a Digital Elph for Christmas '04 and right after the warranty was over, we got the error. I checked around and realised that it was more expensive to repair it than to replace it.

My son and I took it appart to see what made it tick. Got lots of small gears and part that can be used in a diorama. :giggle I also got the shock of my live by the internal battery. It is something like 340v! :help

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
If you want to get a full review of this camera you just got go here: http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/canon-s3is/s3-gen.php

That's a professionnal website that are testing almost every camera on the market. When I was shopping for one, every camera store refered me to this website.

Might be a good tip for everyone :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thats a great site!

Learned a lot by reading through the reviews. Glad the reviews wasn't some infomercial :lol

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I see Walmart.com has the S3IS for $348 :happy I'm very tempted :giggle The one big feature I like is the swivel LCD screen which is great for those ground shots of diecasts.

That would mean taking my P850 all the way back to Sams Club, although that means I get to go diecast hunting again :giggle

Darrick, what are your thoughts on the build quality and image quality so far?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.