DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After oak244 posted a link to this light tent, I decided to make one myself. I have less than $20 invested in it butI still need to play with the lighting.

Here is the link to the light tent

Here is a pic of it. It is set up in the guest bedroom on a card table and can take it down and be put away in seconds.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Here is an untouched photo in full idiot mode (auto). :feedback

G

·
Al,

Thanks for posting this as it serves as a great tutorial.

I was watching the eBay show on CNN Business and they interviewed a seller and she showed how she took her pictures. She had one of the enclosures that houses those plastic balls that kids bounce around in, not sure of the name of it.

But after seeing this, I think I am going to go pick one up from walmart tommorrow.

Its similar to the above, but it was fully enclosed and sheer so that light could pass through.

Thats a really nice setup, great idea from Oak :cheers

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Here is another one Richard. My goal is to take the pics right out of the camera and have them be 35k-45k. So I take them at 640x480 and do not touch them up at all.
This way I can load them here directly. I will try to take some at a higher detail and touch them up and set the camera to take in macro.
But the results right out of the box are fine with me.

·
Oak244
106 Posts
Awesome! Glad it worked out for you. The pictures look great. I am going to build one myself once I get my new Camera. I think I finally found the right one, so new pics may be comming soon. :cheers

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys!
Jeff, I got a "twin" size white flat sheet from Walmart. It was $2.50. I knew the wife would freak if I used any on the households ones, plus we did not have any white ones. :giggle
BTW, it is doubled over as the thread-count is small (at that price).
Thanks again to oak244 for posting the link.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Al, your light tent looks excellent! Many thanks once again to Oak for the original plans. :nicejob :nicejob The light on your two cars look soft & diffused. One suggestion is that you might want to try angling the light on the left so that more light hits the car's left side. Keep up the great photography Al! :nicejob :nicejob :nicejob

Thanks for the idea with the card table. I'll ahve to find me one of those. :wink

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks's guys! :cheers
Eddie, They are clamp-on that come in a kit of three that I bought at Sam's for around $9.95. The light bulbs are just extras that I found in the garage. I need to work on that.

Felix,
Thanks for the tip! I have a long way to go on the lighting.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, GE makes a bulb called "Reveal". I think vegasracer first identified it as providing light that's got a broad spectrum (i.e. somewhat closer to simulating sunlight). I don't imagine they're too expensive and they may make the paint on your cars look more "natural".

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
If you use any tungsten incandenscent bulb (Reveal or otherwise) you will have to adjust the white balance, either on-camera or in post-processing. No way around it. You can purchase daylight-balanced fluorescent bulbs with a screw-in base which will mitigate most of the white balance problems, but you will still have to do some adjustment.

Just my :mine

:cheers

·
Oak244
106 Posts
Well I made my Tent too. Here are a few before the Batteries died. These were taken with an old Kodak DC280 without any extra's. Its a improvement for sure.. just not a good camera. Color is pinkish which seems to be the Camera's fault. Can't wait to get my Oly C-7070 and macro lense!

G

·
I made a light tent, however, I am struggling with the lighting.

On the pictures below, I have a really bright shine in back of the car as it is reflecting off the reflective background.

Should I use more sheeting to filter the lights?

The picture with the Ducati is before the sheets was applied to the light fixtures. Terrible lisght reflection :scared

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.