DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm Andy. I've been collecting diecast for the last decade primarily 1:18 scale. As I have decided to insure my collection, my insuranse company asked if they could price the cars by using a local assessor. The problem lies with the two top cars.

1: Autoart Nissan Skyline r34 gtr nismo z-tune in red. The prices on this is very up and down.

2: Kyosho Mercedes E-320 w124 sedan in silver. The reason for this is the numberplate. It is black unlike others with standard german licence plates.

3: Autoart Volvo 850r sedan black. I threw this in aswell. The reason is that it seems to be more 850 t5-r floating around and it might increase the value that it is an R intstead of an T5-R.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Hello and welcome!

About the collection, it's not big but with kids in the house it would be nice to have a separate insurance on them rather than mixing it in with the rest of the inventory,
If you only want to insure because of kids, there are easier and cheaper ways to protect your collection, such as a warning...

Font Gesture Line Poster Parallel

😁

But seriously now, it's not only what the models are worth, but also how difficult it's going to be to replace them if they're gone.

I was going to suggest that you fix the cabinet to the wall and fit a padlock to the doors, but from the one picture you posted above I'd say your display is a rickety Ikea Detolf. I know some people love them because they're cheap, but let's face it, they're cheap for a reason and probably represent the single biggest risk to your models even before your kids.

See these Ikea options, both can be screwed to the wall and locked:

RUDSTA: you can lock one of doors from the inside and fit a padlock around the handles.
* RUDSTA Vitrineskap, antrasitt, 80x37x120 cm - IKEA

FABRIKOR: It comes with lock and keys. Looks like it's temporarily unavailable on your local Ikea, though.
* FABRIKÖR Vitrineskap, blåsvart, 81x113 cm - IKEA

Now if you want insurance also for theft, fire, disasters, etc., then that's another story.

(y)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for the kind welcome :) Yes it is a cheap Ikea cabinet, however the cabinet is locked away in the office. The main reason for my inquiry is to know or at least get an approximately value of the cars. I know i should look to ebay but they`re not on there. The MB has black licence plates, the Volvo is never there, an the Skyline is always sold out. I have several others both high and low in value but the MB, the Volvo and the Skyline are the ones I'm searching info about.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hello and welcome!

If you only want to insure because of kids, there are easier and cheaper ways to protect your collection, such as a warning...

View attachment 283471

😁

But seriously now, it's not only what the models are worth, but also how difficult it's going to be to replace them if they're gone.

I was going to suggest that you fix the cabinet to the wall and fit a padlock to the doors, but from the one picture you posted above I'd say your display is a rickety Ikea Detolf. I know some people love them because they're cheap, but let's face it, they're cheap for a reason and probably represent the single biggest risk to your models even before your kids.

See these Ikea options, both can be screwed to the wall and locked:

RUDSTA: you can lock one of doors from the inside and fit a padlock around the handles.
* RUDSTA Vitrineskap, antrasitt, 80x37x120 cm - IKEA

FABRIKOR: It comes with lock and keys. Looks like it's temporarily unavailable on your local Ikea, though.
* FABRIKÖR Vitrineskap, blåsvart, 81x113 cm - IKEA

Now if you want insurance also for theft, fire, disasters, etc., then that's another story.

(y)
ha ha ha. Thats fantastic. If you permit, I will print it and stick it on to my display case.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Greetings and welcome from Canada!

I was thinking about your request and was curious if insurance provided specific instructions on calculating the value of your collection as if not, you should be able to grab unsold listings, calculate the average, and use that as a reference. It's replacement cost that's important here. It shouldn't matter if it sold once for $100 if all the listing are asking $200 as it's an immediate replacement, not a, find the best deal in 6 months type of replacement. I imagine it is similar to when determining the value of a written-off car where you look for similar models and use the asking price to determine value (since actual selling price is typically invisible). But I'm definitely just providing an opinion here.

As for the E320, is the uniqueness just the affixed license plate itself or in the actual design of it? If it's just the affixed plate, it's likely not a determining factor in value as collectors may have affixed their own or Kyosho may have just started affixing one themselves some point into production (or the opposite, stopped affixing one).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts