DiecastXchange Forum banner

New project

1K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  maestro862 
#1 ·
Hi all, this is my new pet project.
I know ... I know, I am still working on the 300SLR LM as well... :giggle

I just got this Bburago SSKL. I am almost done drilling the lightened body (hence SSKL)
Bburago's model is fairly decent and the scale is almost dead on... And to think this is one of the first model they ever produced...

The writings on the body are part of the modifications that need to be done... quite a few to be accurate but all really minute.
I also plan on wiring my own wheels and using real leather for the interior.
I am not sure whether to still represent Carraciola's winning #87 or just "run of the mill SSKL... still time to decide.

#6 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
The louvers that are in black should be ground off as they are not on the 1:1

Regarding the bonnet hinge points, there should not be no raised edges, just smooth radii on either side. (Bburago probably put them there to help open it... )

Also, there are no horizontal panel lines between the firewall and bonnet. That is it for now.

#8 ·
Well, after a 14month hiatus, I am finally resurrecting this project.
I've smoothed out the bonnet as well as rounded the corners off the tank.

After overlaying Bburago's model with a real SSKL profile, I found out I needed to lower the body 2mm, raise the exhaust port holes 4mm and remove more material by the seat area. The picture shows a before and after shot of the body. Well, what it should look like anyways...I need to do the transformation first...gotta love Photoshop :lol

I will also start lacing new wire wheels shortly. This should turn out quite nicely indeed.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Attachments

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Another quick fix that will make any model stand out: Smooth out the mold lines on tires. There is nothing worst for a model's appearance, especially an open wheel one than to see the mold lines. All it takes is a little time and sandpaper. I mount my tires on a drill at low speed but this can also be done by hand... it just takes a little longer.
The stock Bburago tire is on the left. The right shows what 2 minutes will do. Simple, quick and FREE!!! :happy

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Attachments

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Good Tip! I do this to every one of my models, but I use those fiber finger nail files. The drill and sandpaper probably gives better and more consistant results. . .

Go to Google, click on the "images" word and type in "1931 Mercedes SSKL." I couldn't find any pics of the real car, but there are some pics of a #87 model. All show it as having dark maroon fenders, wheels and dash, and a black #87 painted on the cowl sides.

#15 ·
cobalt1959 said:
Go to Google, click on the "images" word and type in "1931 Mercedes SSKL." I couldn't find any pics of the real car, but there are some pics of a #87 model. All show it as having dark maroon fenders, wheels and dash, and a black #87 painted on the cowl sides.
I do know about the basics and I did find 1 picture of the 1:1 (B&W and quite small) ...however, I am interested in the finer details that set it apart from the other SSKLs like what kind of gear did it have, what color leather seats (based on models it could be burgundy, marroon, brown, black,etc?!!)

Here is a little glimpse of the engine at stage 1 (basic wiring, correct colors). Stage 2 will be even more detailed but I need to raise the engine to the correct position first (4mm higher).
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Grille

Attachments

#16 ·
Getting in deeper trouble. I decide to modify the model's suspension arms.
Here is a side by side comparaison with the stock arm and my rendition of it. Still not completely accurate but definately much closer to the 1:1. Since the piece is so small, I might be casting it out of resin to make it one part and hence stronger

Once I am done, I am thinking of making my own leaf springs as well...still debating that one :pullhair
Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Automotive design

Attachments

#18 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Thanks Bart :happy

Well the chassis drop is finally complete. It was more involved than I first though but the result is well worth it in my opinion. I might even drop it a bit more at the rear as the 1:1 had that dragging tail stance. Sorry for the out of focus pic ...we're still way away from the final beauty shots...
View attachment 25481

#19 ·
After all these chassis modifications, I needed to see if everything still fit together and I figured I'd take a pic to compare a 1:1 SSKL to the model (although that pic doesn't look like a shortened chassis ... the perspective maybe :confused ).
As you can see, I am not 100% there yet... However, I think that the overall look and feel will change once I replace the Bburago "stick wheels" with true to scale wire wheels and by slightly altering the position and shape of the fenders.
View attachment 25484

#20 ·
Another comparaison shot. This one is agains an SSK but it still shows you the subtle differences. The model's rear fenders especially do not flare out on the bottom and are too short. Also, you can clearly see the manifold pipes are much too low on the model as compared to the 1:1. The rear area where the tires sit is much sexier looking on the original as it has no sharp corners(as you can see, I alredy started working on that part....
View attachment 25488

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.