DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Here is a way that I found to make oil dip sticks on budget models.

First you have to get over the fear of taking a diecast appart. Most are easy and the body and chassis come appart by removing 6-8 screws. I have found that the most problem that I have is with the steering shaft, but after you have done it a few times, you will be able to do it blindfolded.
Start by taking it all appart and removing the engine from the chassis.

These are some of the tools that I use:
-a long nose plier to make the curb of the handle
-a wire cutter
-a wire stripper.
-I also use some miniature drill bits to make the hole in the block and glue the dipstick to it.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You know all those wires that are used to hold toys to packaging? They make great source for this.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, cut the wire the right length and strip one end for it to go into the block and the other end for the handle.
Cut a small piece to the "cap" of the handle.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Now paint the "tube" to match what the manufacture used. Some are painted with the block and some are painted sepparatly. In this case Chrysler painted the Tube white.
Also, paint the "cap" silver to match the dip stick.

G

·
Here is a way that I found to make oil dip sticks on budget models.

First you have to get over the fear of taking a diecast appart. Most are easy and the body and chassis come appart by removing 6-8 screws. I have found that the most problem that I have is with the steering shaft, but after you have done it a few times, you will be able to do it blindfolded.
Start by taking it all appart and removing the engine from the chassis.

These are some of the tools that I use:
-a long nose plier to make the curb of the handle
-a wire cutter
-a wire stripper.
-I also use some miniature drill bits to make the hole in the block and glue the dipstick to it.
Great article answered questions for many of us I'm sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.