DiecastXchange Forum banner

Ok UT model fans... make your UT "budget" picks!

3K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  mattdesign 
#1 ·
As we all know, there are many UT models that have easily surpassed the $100, $200 and sometimes $300 mark these days.

So, in light of the ever growing prices, state, list, or just post a pic of your favorite budget UT models can still be had at a mere pittance relative to quality.

My top four picks are (YES, I do favor P-cars and Bimmers):

1.) UT Porsche 911 (993) RS in blue: Why this model is still readily available at less than $20-30, is beyond me. Perhaps, it's due to the fact that most of the pictures I have ever seen, have the completely wrong shade of blue. The quality is incredible for a UT, and fit and finish is brilliant (also for a UT). For the last of the air-cooled Porsches, I would have thought the sub-$30 market would be left to the cotton-candy, turquiose Carrera and perhaps a few purple metallic and gold versions as well.

2.) UT BMW M3 Convertible in blue: Dollar-for-dollar (or Euro for Euro), this has to be the best e36 M3 out there. The brilliant Estoril Blue paint with proper clearcoat, correct headlights and indicators, two-tone interior, and carpeting. This seems to be easily recognizable as one of the later, and better editions of the UT e36 M3. Looking back at the Dakar yellow versions (the yellow vert isn't half bad) and the Techno-Violet (the hard-top was a home run, in my humble opinion... however the prices of the hardtops do seem to draw a premium) and the hard-top Estoril blue (with the tacky headlights and the "what-the-heck-was-UT-thinking-by-not-applying-clearcoat-to-the-paint" paint job), the blue vert seems like a relative steal.

3.) UT Porsche GT2 "STP" Champion Motorsports: I could be biased here, due to the fact I have a great deal of respect for Champion's motorsport division. Is it true? An actual UT Porsche GT2 racer that can still be had for $35!?!? You betchya! With the same boldly styled lines as the highly sought after GT2 Evo Street version in white, why the heck not!! And let's not forget that one of the pilots of the original was none other than the great, Hans Stuck! This, coupled with the fact that the actual race started it's life as the infamous "Wonder Bread" 964 based 911... well, I think it's a must-have for any P-Car racing enthusiast!

4.) UT BMW M3 GTR in black: Now bear with me on this one. This model, generally cannot be had for less than $70-80 these days, HOWEVER when you take into account that the white and red versions often times go for double that of the black, it seems like a relative bargain. The fit and finish is flawless, the rims don't seem to suffer from the UT "melting" or "flaking" issues, the paint is... dare I say... a miracle of sorts. Even the thought that UT could actually pull it off doesn't seem natural! in my humble opinion, this car is STUNNING.... easily THE HOTTEST E36 TO DATE!

:cheers

See less See more
G
#6 ·
mosteller said:
in my opinion, the McLaren F1s, especialy the Le Mans winning Ueno Clinic and the Gulf models should be on the list. Seems the prices on these have been coming down in recent months.
I got my #59 Ueno Clinic for $45US. It arrived with a peeling decal but not a big deal for the price. I just display it showing the right-hand side. The same seller had the Gulf for $45.

I would also choose the 911 GT1's; these are very tempting. I wish the 993 911 Turbo in Arena Red was in the budget category...

G
#12 ·
I still remember seeing a bunch of GT2 racers on eBay a year or so ago and thinking "man these'll be $25 forever, I'll just pick one up 'sometime' " Seems like the next week they were over $100!! Argh! Oh well.

#14 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Going back to the original question (and not the UT we like), these are my two:

1) The Ford Expedition XLT and EB. You still see it under $30 sometimes.
2) Some of the '78 Corvettes (not yellow or black). Every now and then, they go cheap.

G
#17 · (Edited)
MockingBird said:
UT's are still the F355s... i love that car
:iagree

When I started collecting I immediately went after a red Berlinetta and yellow Spyder. It's my favorite "Gee, I might actually have one of these someday" Ferrari.

corvettekingofcanada said:
The 550 Maranello is another great pick too
The silver-on-red UT 550 is a classic in my humble opinion; best color combo on that car.

#18 ·
It always brings a smile to my face to se how many people like these old UT's.
They are not the most detailed cars, some are close to budget quality cars of today yet even folks who are high detail chasers are sill happy with simple but well done UT's. :nicejob

I just wonder how much love there would be for these cars if they were still being produced at the same detail level and selling for $40 :giggle

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a love/hate relationship with UT models... As a new collector who's been only exposed to the hobby for about a year, UT models are not really budget models. Yeah, some of the Porsche and BMW are still as affordable as Hot Wheels, but those models come in colors I don't like.. . .

Most of the UT models I have, I bought for it's subject matter and not for it's value. I'd like to say I paid MSRP for my current UT favorite, but we all know that is not the case these days anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.