DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a house, and will be moving my collection to it over the next several weeks. I save all my boxes, just for this type of occurence. As I have been retrieving them, and re-boxing the cars, I have come upon a curious situation.

:confused

Many of the boxes have model-specific graphics, so it is pretty easy to match them up; however, all of my UT Porsche GT1, Porsche GT2, and McLaren F1 boxes are "generic".

:eek:ops

I know most of these models will re-box generically, as well, but I was curious:

Do you mark the model/paint scheme/etc. on your generic boxes, or is it pot-luck when you re-box? I read somewhere that the boxes are marked, somehow, with an identifying number. Can anyone give me some ideas on this? Obviously, marking them before I unboxed them originally is out of the question.

Thanks!

:wink

·
Registered
345 Posts
Most of the UT models I have came from Scale18 and thus have a model number sticker on them which I can cross reference to my master database.

Good luck with the move Jim. I just bought a new house myself - should be built by October. Funny, one of the first things I thought about was how to move my cars. I've abandoned trying to put them back in their boxes. I'll use some flat Rubbermaid containers and move a few loads at a time - the new house isn't that far. The good thing for you is that you have lots of time to make the move.

:cheers

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I have also noted the generic nature of some of my UT boxes! Most have an internal insert with the name of the model on them so I haven't had many problems in this way, but neither have I written on them which in hindsight might have been a good idea the last time we moved!

Good luck with the house move BTW!!! :cheers

G

·
Like Ronan and Richard said, there will be a bar code in the back of the box indicating the model name underneath it.

Good luck with your move, Jim and congrats on your new house! :happy

PS - if you still can't match some of the GT2s and McLarens with their boxes, I'll gladly take them... :giggle

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
onoitsaWRX said:
Like Ronan and Richard said, there will be a bar code in the back of the box indicating the model name underneath it.
Well, you learn something new everyday. There, on the bar code, in little bitty print, is a description of the model.
Now, where did I put that magnifying glass?

:wink

G

·
Dont mention boxes to me :box
I wanted to thin my cars down and have just gone through 300 boxes to find the 20 or so that I needed for the sale items :ranting

Needless to say , all of the larger boxes that hold my car boxes are now clearly labelled with their contents . I wont be going through that again in a hurry

·
Registered
298 Posts
I store all of my undisplayed cars in larger packing boxes, and until recently I had NO idea what was where, so I spent a day or so cataloging them and writing it up.
It was nice seeing some of the older stuff that hasn't been out for a while

G

·
I use either a piece of painters masking tape (that way it doesn't stick to the box if you ever take it off) or a post-it yellow note paper. I've been thru that before and it gets :confused so thats what I use now :wink

:cheers

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This topic has been 'cussed and dis-cussed frequently on this Board, and a search might find a thread or two. For me, I have 500 on display, and all the boxes are in the attic above my garage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts