DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Not much to write home about as it is one of the early Ertls (say that three times) released on 1969. But you can't beat the coolness of it as it is one of the baddest Muscle cars of all times. It has a sealed trunk, no carpet, no wires and doglegs.
By the wheels, I can tell that it is the newest Evergreen release. The first edition were once fetching near $100 but prices tumbled once the "John Force" version and now this Evergreen release were made.
It is one model that need a "Eddie" job detailing it and it makes a cool piece. It is also one model that would sell if a high-end company make it.

My neighboor four houses down has a 1:1 in his garage that need a total restoration, but it is all there. He turned down $35K for it as-is! :scared

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks maybe I should of asked this question before I sent for it :pullhair .
I will learn :rant.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well, not so fast there Mikeee...in my opinion there are several reasons to get this car. (1) If you are interested in this particular car (The Hurst Olds 442) then its the only one on the market. (2) The car displays well, if you dont require that the doors and hood be open when its displayed. The fit and finish (at least on mine) is good. The gaps are tight. (3) If you are not concerned about if the car has dogleg type hinges on the doors and hood, then it becomes an even better model because Ertls are well detailed, (by well detailed, I mean that all the parts are generally there, but you have to paint some of them (such as the undercarrage) to bring out the best.) Acisne is right, it is an older Ertl, but its one of the better releases!!!
For the record, mines on display next to the HWY61, and AUTOart! :nicejob

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
:iagree You will not be dissapointed! It displays well and like I said, it is a milestone in the Muscle lineage.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hold on a sec guys, did Ertl just release a second version of this car???

I'm seeing them all over eBay and some retailers are stocking them again.

I have one and its a very decent model. I know for a while they were hard to come by, which made me notice them popping up like wildfire all over ebay.

You won't be disappointed at all in this model, providing you pay a reasonable price for it.

Link to mine

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think this may be a rerelease as some retailers are carrying this model again.

Some of their boxes even have stickers on them indicating 1 of 2500 :lol

But the model looks the same as mine.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
It is a re-release by Evergreen. The wheels look to have a lighter gray inserts on the new ones. It was originally supposed to have TTs on it like most Evergreens.

Here is a pic of what it was supposed tolook like:

Attachments

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, this is getting confusing :confused . The model I have bought is off ebay £21.76 I have payed (new). Going by the pic that Darrick as posted I have nothing to worry about. How do you know which models to stay clear of and which ones are a must... :cheers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Who is Evergreen and are they using Ertl's packaging as well?

Because all of these seem to be in Ertls' packaging.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Evergreen is a diecast distributor located in Cal. and in Dallas that only deals in wholesale. They buy the models from the manufacturer and sell them to retailers/diecast stores.
They commisioned Ertl to do 1/2500 runs of some models in colors that have not been released before (Acapulco Blue 351 Mach 1 sans spoilers/louvers), cars that sold well (Yellow '70 GSX), or highly HTF cars with TT wheels (like the '70 red Chevelle).
They do basically what SuperCar Collectibles, Diamond Collectibles and once Lane and GMP did.

The Ertls are basically the same as regular editions, but in the past have commanded a higher price because they are 1 of 2500. Also those limited runs are more wholesale wise because of the economics of scale.

They have angered many a collector by re-releasing several once-Grails by just changing the wheels (TTs). And if you ask some, they are the reason why the value of Ertl is depressed and is basically never goes above MSRP. The threat of a sought-after car being re-released keeps the prices from going up.

This arrangement also helps Ertl as they put old molds to use, recouping more money out of the mold and since these are made for Evergreen, I am sure that Ertl is paid up-front.

Good or bad for the hobby? You decide! :giggle

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
I don't know about that! but I guess like they say, "In the land of the Blind, the one-eyed man is King" :lol

Mikeee, sorry to derail your thread! :giggle If you pulled the trigger on the Olds and you paid a fair price, then you will not be dissapointed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mike , I just bought this car a few weeks ago but I only paid £3 for mine .

Its a big heavy car , and whilst its not the best , it does have a good look about it .

Is yours from "Kurtinlee" ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Al,

See this is one thing I am not fully understanding.

Allow me to explain why.

Some of the older Ertls are commanding some really high prices. I presume these are the Supercar models(Yenkos and Baldwin Motion versions)

Even some of the old regular edition Ertls such as the Bobcat is steady at $25 and holding without blinking.

So my question is, if these are not MSRP or above, what is the MSRP of an Ertl?

The HD F150 for instance is hovering around $25-30 a pop, not cheap by any means.

The particular model we are talking about, its roughly around $25 as well, not too cheap considering when it was released.

To be honest, I am buying most of my Ertl's on the secondary market...atleast most of them.

A few of them such as the Cuda, Boss 429 and Superbee, I got those from a retailer as they were priced around $24. The Monte Carlo SS ran me $40+ though :confused

However, I have found some Camaro's that I have been watching sale on eBay for $50-$60 over the past two years. I just recently picked up two of them for less than $20 shipped in the past month or so.

I am so confused on the Ertl market pricing as it is nealry impossible to figure out. :confused

Give me a second while I grab a pen and paper to write down these notes :lol

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Remember some of these have a secondary license that makes them imposible for Ertl to re-issue like the Yenkos. SC has the right to the 1/18 Yenko diecast market. Ertl can not re-issue them at will, like they have this 442, without paying SC for it.

On others, there is no guarantee that that at some point and time that they are not going to be re-issued as they were never sold as LEs. We are the ones that made them more valuable.
Also, the Camaro market is being depressed by the news that HW61 is releasing theirs and also Ertl has upgraded their too like they did the Cuda. Ones that were at one time HTF, they MAY become available by HW61 causing people to panick and dump them. We may find out soon if SC will use the HW61 to make Yenko Camaros. How would you fell if you bought the whole set for $1200 a couple of years ago? as they were fetching that much. Just the possibility of them being made plumeted the price of the Yenkos to less than half of what they were once bringing (which is still more than MSRP).

The same thing happened with the Ertl '70 Mustangs and the 'Cuda/Challengers. The HW61 killed the high prices that some of these were bringing. Another one that took a hit was the '70 Chevelle (specially the red one) as it once commanded $150-$200. Once Lane released the early Ertls were brought back to reality. Also, they took a beating since it was proven that it was not sacrated as Evergreen re-released it.

When it's all said and done, the prices that we are seeing on eBay are not the true value of some of these. Just because we are able to find some gems at low prices, it does not mean that it is the price that the item should bring or that it is worth.
Like on the Bobcat GTO, extra royalties were paid for Ertl to make them hence they were more than the regular GTO. Just because you find one for $25, it does not mean that the value of the Bobcat is now $25, it just means that at the particular time that you scored yours, no one else was willing to pay more than you. :giggle

The Cuda, the Boss and the SuperBee that you bought were '05 re-issues of older molds. I can imagine that Ertl cut Evergreen a sweet deal to use the molds that otherwise were gathering dust hence the low price. What ever money Ertl is making on these re-issues is just gravy or iceing on the cake. Those that mean the the older ones release a dacade ago are any less or any more hard to find? No, the same finite number of old ones is still out there, but now they are competing with newer releases and better detail in like models.

You had a choice. You could had bought the older Cuda, Boss or Superbee and paid more for a model that may or may not be good (as it has been sitting who-knows-where) or you could had bought one that was minted this year and gotten a better deal because it is readily available.
You, like me, do not collect for the box that the model came in, and once it is on display, the older or the newer version look about the same.

As far as the price, I think that the pics of the HobbyShow had the wholesale price under them. If I do recall, some were $17+ for the RE and some were $21+ for stuff like the Entertainment series and the Evergreen one.

As far as the Monte Carlo, that is an Authentic so that explains the price.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts