DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
About a couple months back, I made a business case to my boss for our office to get a digital SLR. He & his manager accepted it. We ended up getting a Canon EOS 20D with 8Mpix. Of course, it doesn't hurt that my boss is an avid photographer and has about 4 Canon lenses. :wink Anyway, I finally got a chance to try out the camera this weekend. The controls on it are not one bit intuitively obvious. After going through the very basics for 1/2 hours, I tried it out.
The first big adjustment is not being able to see the picture in the LCD display as a result of my settings changes. Anyway, I set the camera on aperture priority mode (Av) and cranked the f-stop to the max. (a whooping 29!!). This means I now have the ability to get the whole car in focus from the very front to the very back.

I took a few shots of a couple cars I had always had problems with, black cars. Having 5 more Mpix in the 20D compared to my Canon S30 means there's so much more detail I can get off the model. The combination of this camera and Photoshop means some pretty good photos can be pulled off.

I didn't do anything different with my light sources. I still used my typical two 50W halogen lights.

Finally, I can say black is no longer my "kryptonite"! :yahoo

(click for 800x530 pics)

G

·
Felix,

Sounds like an awesome camera.

I certainly can attest to what your saying. I went from a 2Mp to a 5MP and it made the world of difference in my pics.

I tried all of the tips you guys offered and my 2MP would only get me limited results.

Going to a 5MP, I recieved far better results without the tips, now I am going to start using some of the tips and advice you offered as I know it will make the difference as well.

Funny thing about it, I paid less for 5MP than I did for my 2MP. :joy

G

·
Impressive !! I have always wanted to have the whole model in focus !
Congrats on getting rid of your "Kryptonite" :giggle !! :cheers

G

·
Very , very impressive pics Felix .

A good camera makes the world of difference , but not many of us could justify a $1300 US price tag . (and thats at discount)
For that much money I would want it to print and frame the pics for me :lol

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Thanks Bob. I'm so bowled over by what this camera can do. I think I'll need it for the next 40 weekends. :lol I have figured out how to take decent photos against white background. Now I have to figure out how to take diecast shots against my reflective black background. I'm sure it'll be a fair bit of trial and error. I'm like a pig in mud right now! :giggle

Darrick: I'm sure you felt amazed at seeing the results from your 5Mpix camera. You certainly made a good decision. My borrowed 20D camera has a LOT of power. To say I'm flabbergasted would be an understatement. I fear that unless I use it a lot, I won't learn even 5% of what it's capable to doing. Hmmm....if I could use it next Labour Day for ALMS race at Mosport with my boss's 300mm lens, that'd be cool!! I'll have to see what I can pull off. :giggle

Dr. Jeff: Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm only beginning to get a feel for what you're able to pull off with your digicam. It's so satisfying being able to get the quality of shots you want & capture all the beauty and details in our diecasts. I can only imagine how much fun it would be to shoot those CMC models!!

Ronan: Now I get a small taste of the fun that you guys have with digital SLRs .

Vatabot: No more black kryptonite! Woohoo!!

Sir Gary: Sorry, "my" el cheapo camera doesn't do customer framing and all that funky stuff. :giggle

Eddie: Did my office have a digital SLR???? That's news to me! :lol :lol

The Stig
: I didn't realize it was that "high end". It certainly feels a lot nicer than the Digital Rebel XT. When I held it in my hand, I thought it felt a little plasticky. ON the plus side, it is lighter. But there's something nice about having a sturdy camera in one's hands.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Amazing results, Felix! Now, how long til you break down and get one?

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I'll take as many as I can. I'd love to retake photos of ALL my cars. But I suspect that'll take a little while. My boss is going to wonder what on earth I'm up to with the camera on weekends. :lol :lol It's the 1:43 cars that I really want to get better photos of. I find they are technically much harder to take sharply-focussed pictures of. But I'll tell you, 1:18s never looked SO good in photos!!!

DC4ME: Thanks for your kind words. :cheers

Cuda Jeff: This type of camera certainly isn't the sort you'd buy on a whim. Unless a person is willing to invest a lot of time learning and experimenting with it, it'd be a really expensive toy. I certainly couldn't afford it for "home use" alone.

Gian: If you can afford to get one of these, you won't regret it. Plus, if you have any way to get to a race track with this and good zoom lens, you'd have a total blast!!

mox: I really can't afford something this expensive. As The Stig mentioned, it borders on professional grade equipment. Unforetunately, my family comes first and they seem to suck up a lot of money. :confused :lol :lol Hey, it's all good!

G

·
Well your photos have always been very good anyway Felix.

Can't wait to see some more of the Canon at work...plus getting someone else to pay for the camera. I am impressed.... :happy

:cheers

Timbo.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Ahhh thats the Camera I am looking at getting early next year, so its great to see what it can do & then some :eek:mg

As I need a slr for the race track & then to use for close up of models, so very intresting to hear your thoughts after you have had a good play around with it.

What is the Macro mode like?

So looking forward to seeing more photos now Felix.

:cheers

G

·
your pics have always been good Felix...........you could be up for Photographer of the year 2006 with that baby :giggle
i assume you do the office equipment stock take :lol

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.