DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't have to much knowledge on the Lane's brand, so I'm needing a little insight.
I have my eye on three of their Camaro's all of them being 68's.

Whats the quality and level of detail like on these models :feedback

Whats the price market like on them as well :feedback

Is the demand for these models pretty high, or can they be found easily :feedback

thanks for any help. :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Lane - I love them! Funny you should ask, I got two more Lanes yesterday - Z16 and Camaro. I'll put up pics later. My collection is now 5 and growing. Lane is the company that has gotten me interested in collecting American Muscle.

Quality - excellent! And their customer service is outstanding from what I've read.

Price - Between AUTOart and Exoto. I pre-ordered the Firebird Vert and paid full boat, but the rest of the Lanes I have I gotten off ebay for a decent price.

Availability - although all their cars are limited editions, I haven't had problems finding ones I want.

Great cars, great details, great packaging! Go for it you won't be disappointed.

:cheers

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I would recommend Lane to anyone that wants quality/detail better than Ertl. I LOVE the 68 Camaro and Lane was the 1st to make one that didn't look like crap. I bought one a few months ago and I'm very happy with the car. By the way, if you can find these cars for under $80 let me know...the average price I see is $80-100.

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
At the risk of getting people mad at me I would like to give a different opinion on the Lane Camaro's.
I think $50 tops is what they should cost.
I can't see why these cars are raved about as being so detailed :confused
From the dog leg door hinges to the hard plastic seats, no carpeting,Ertl like undercarriage and minimal engine and trunk detail do not add up to the $90 price.
Just comparing my Kyosho BMW 2002 which lists at $50 show how far behind the Lane is

When I bought the Lane Shelby Mustang and mentioned that I was not happy with the cost/detail ratio I was told that since it was their first release they learned alot and later cars would be better.
To me, the Camaro is not that much better.
I am giving Lane one more shot as I have ordered the Olds Rallye 350.
I hope I will be happy with this one.

I do want to say that I feel Lane has a very high build quality and the people behind the scenes are fantastic to deal with.
Still, I would have to say that the Camaro and Mustang are nowhere near being worth the asking price.
And I know that some will say part of the price is because their cars are Limited Editions but that doesn't make up for what the cars are lacking in my book.
The L/E status is a moot point as most of the releases are selling way below list price.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Max Power said:
At the risk of getting people mad at me I would like to give a different opinion on the Lane Camaro's.
I think $50 tops is what they should cost.
I can't see why these cars are raved about as being so detailed :confused
From the dog leg door hinges to the hard plastic seats, no carpeting,Ertl like undercarriage and minimal engine and trunk detail do not add up to the $90 price.
Just comparing my Kyosho BMW 2002 which lists at $50 show how far behind the Lane is

When I bought the Lane Shelby Mustang and mentioned that I was not happy with the cost/detail ratio I was told that since it was their first release they learned alot and later cars would be better.
To me, the Camaro is not that much better.
I am giving Lane one more shot as I have ordered the Olds Rallye 350.
I hope I will be happy with this one.

I do want to say that I feel Lane has a very high build quality and the people behind the scenes are fantastic to deal with.
Still, I would have to say that the Camaro and Mustang are nowhere near being worth the asking price.
And I know that some will say part of the price is because their cars are Limited Editions but that doesn't make up for what the cars are lacking in my book.
The L/E status is a moot point as most of the releases are selling way below list price.
:iagree :iagree :iagree I have to agree with MP here. I have a few of the Lane Camaros and they are nice models, which I feel look good, but they are deifinitely overpriced. They are about as good as the last of the UT models (circa 1999-2000) which is not all that surprising as Lane first introduced it's Camaro range around 1999. For less than $50 they are worth having (they are still the nicest '67 and '68 Camaros in 1:18th) but at full price they are poor value for money.

The Lane Oldsmobiles are a different matter altogether and are far superior models to both the Shelby 350GTs and the Camaros by Lane (both of which are several years old now). The Olds Cutlass/442 range are some of the most detailed and nicely made high end 1:18th musclecars that you can get.

So I agree about the relatively unimpressive nature of the Camaros, but the Olds are far, far superior models and deserving of the high reputation Lane seem to have achieved for themselves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MP and Ronan,

Thanks for giving me advice in regards to pricing. i wasn't sure as to how much I should pay for one of them.

I'll look to pay considerably less than $50, if I can't get it for that, can't miss what I never had. :happy

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
DiecastX said:
MP and Ronan,

Thanks for giving me advice in regards to pricing. i wasn't sure as to how much I should pay for one of them.

I'll look to pay considerably less than $50, if I can't get it for that, can't miss what I never had. :happy
No problem DX! I have 3 Lane Camaros (with a 4th on the way, the new green 1967 Convertible) so I do like them. However, they are overpriced for what they are unfortunately. On the plus side, I think finding them for less than $50 may not be an impossible task, so you may end up with one yet!!! :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm looking at three of them myself, but will possibly just go with two. I'm hoping that I can bag them both for $80 :cheers :cheers

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Still, my question is..."where can I find them for the $50 price range". I think the satisfaction (for me) lies in the accuracy of exterior components (wheels, body, emblems, grill, etc.). I wish there was more detail, but honestly I don't care for any older car's STOCK interior.

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
There is always ebay but there is also many diecast online sellers who discount Lane heavily.
I have seen sales on them at MTR, National Diecasters, Replicarz, Scale 18, SuperModels Ltd and others.
To be honest, I never pay retail for any models.

It takes some digging around, and maybe even the purchase of a few cars to establish a relationship but there are deals to be had out there.
For Example, I have bought 4 AUTOart Rally cars in the last month or so and the highest price I have paid was $35.
These were all online dealers.

I will look around for some Camaros for you and if I find any I will send you a PM

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MP,

I'm learning the same about not paying retail for cars, it just takes some digging around as you mentioned and sometimes the waiting part is the hardest. :danbanna

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Hey, thanks Max. I appreciate you looking out. I've noticed that a few folks were having sales on some cars that I'd definately buy, but seeing as how I'm still not out of my "gift season" yet (Mom's and daughter's birthday soon), I may not be buying too much before mid Feb. Maybe, just maybe though, I can "find" some money to make a purchase or too. ...Oh yeah, what does MTR stand for?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
:blastaway Hey Blitz! Heres my 2 cents on the topic...First, MTR is www.please support DX Advertisers!, I'm not sure what the letters stand for, but I believe that "M" is for Mike; they are a great online diecast car dealer. Check out their website, there are usually several photos (front, profile, rear, open doors, etc) of each model they sale. They also dispaly models that are out of production, etc.. They have a huge selection of 1:18, and I have never had any problems with them...I have ordered approx. 25-30 cars from them this past year alone. Prices are competitive, and as I have never asked for a discount, I dont know if they will, but its worth a try... :talk Next, DiecastX, in my opinion Lane has made the best 67-68 Camaros Ive seen out there (except the GMP 68 Transam camaro), and in my opinion they are very good. Equal to AUTOart! I think that Blitz, being a fellow Camaro nut, will concur! I dont think you can go wrong with their 67 or 68 Z/28, or the Nickey cars. I also have a couple of the Shelby GT350 Mustangs. Sweet. The Olds are very good, no argument on that subject, just saw the 1970 Rallye 350 yeaterday Its on my list:drool

P.S. Hey Blitz, picture this; Lane 1967 Z/28 Camaro, Fred Gibb "little hoss" drag race version; you remove/minus decals, and replace the rear rally wheels that are missing a center cap and beauty band, with GMP "complete" ralley wheels mounted back on the slicks)! Can you say SLEEPER? ZZZZZZ!!! MTR had them for $50!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Rob, I forget exactly which particularly car you're talking about but it sounds like one I want. The more I look at GMP's Camaros the more I'm leaning towards them. The Trans Am low racy stance is perfect to tweak into a Pro-Touring car. Besides a couple of the RS's from Lane, the two GMP cars that really have me excited are the two-toned Smokey Yunich and the #16 Mark Donohue "Sunoco" 68's. I'm picturing Smokey Yunich car, with updated daily driver/weekend racer interior and 17/18" torque thrust 2's. It would be a sort of Smokey "clone". BTW, Rob we obviously have the same taste in a few websites, b'cuz I'd known about please support DX Advertisers! for a couple years but apparently didn't know it was also known as MTR. Either way, it's nice to have friends like all of you to help feed my addiction. :danbanna

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
:danbanna Blitz, that sounds really cool to use that car! I have the GMP 1967 "36" Donahue transam Camaro. Great car! Did you know that there is a clean version of that car? It has an unpainted body that is just brushed aluminum, no paint, it would be a great "foundation" pro-tour type rod; the cage, the headers, the unpolished torque thrust are all there. Just spray it with your favorite color. Problem is I beleive that its limited release? I want that Smokey Yunick car, as probably quite a few others; demand will probabaly limit availability, and it would be a shame to repaint one.

P.S. Blitz, (and anyone else following this thread) Check out item number 13021BA, 67 Camaro, and item number ED211 Camaro at www.please support DX Advertisers! to see photos of cars.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts