DiecastXchange Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Its not often that I have to put on a moderating hat, but it seems that we are at a point where it needs to be worn and some issues spoken on from the heart.

In my estimation there is no right way to moderate only wrong ways. Do something that is deemed 'right', and its considered to be wrong as you cannot always please everyone. Do something wrong and it sticks with you to eternmity. no matter what you do, its never good enough.

Its unfortunate that I have to mention any members name, however, this topic was spurred on by the flare up in Patty's topic. NO this post is not directed at Patty solely, but that topic remains a PERFECT example of the frustrations that I go through with this site.

As we all know the internet diecast community is a very small one. There are many diecast forums at everyones disposal, you cannot be a member of one without being a member of another or atleast know of the others.

I visit other forums on a daily basis and see familiar names often, just to name a few The Pub, Scale18, diecast.org, Diecast Central, Diecast Shack and the countless others that I frequent but haven't mentioned. The one thing that I notice is that the admin/owner have gone through great lengths to provide the community with a great outlet to talk diecasts. All of the forums I have been to add something positive, regardless of the preference or interest in various models.

As I have mentioned that these forums all share the same members, the one thing that fascinates me is the lack of courtesy that SOME member bring to DX but selectively leave off other forums. I just cannot understand it to save my life.

My example which is one I struggle with every day is the matter of: SPAM

Why spam DX and not other forums your a member of?

I have no problem with any member posting a link to a retailer alerting a member to a model.

However when that topic takes the shape of spam and goes on to become an endorsement for a retailer, I have a problem with that. Especially, if a member claims he is helping his fellow member by posting the topic, but fails to do the same on other forums they are a member of.

I now understand why other forums do not allow the mere mention of or allow links to vendors or retailers who are not sponsors. It makes perfect sense and I debate whether or not DX should take this position.

DX does not charge ANY type of fee for memberships, nada, zilch, nothing. All expenses are paid by myself. However, DX does have Authorized Advertisers(not sponsors) who pay a fee to advertise their site, products and services. How fair is it to them for some site to get a free ride while they are paying. The fees that the advertisers accrue are certainly not enough to cover the costs associated with DX, the rest comes from my pockets, which is getting expensive and old in all the same breath.

All that is asked that they be shown the proper courtesy they are due as you do other forums that are retailers or have sponsors. Nothing more and nothing less.

If that is too much to ask, then you may want to rethink your position as a member of DX. Sorry to be so blunt, but its the way I feel.

This same lack of courtesy extend to other postings as well. Whether it be a picture post, hijacking of a thread or even self promotions.

In Patty's topic, everyone got to witness some members of the staff in moderating mode.

I will not make excuses for any staff member nor will I raise a defense for them, but I will stand by their moderating decisions/actions 100%.

As I mention that moderating is not an easy task due to the personalities and traits that one has to contend with, however, it still needs to be done daily and a lot of times these actions and decisions are unpopular. I trust that the selected members of the staff will make the right decision followed by the appropriate actions in the best interest of DX. And if they fail to do so, we will discuss it as need be.

Everyone who moderates these forums does it on a voluntary basis, and often or not its thankless job as the little things go unnoticed to the masses and often or not, the same issue rears its head again and again. I often tell them all that they have had to sacrifice some things that members enjoy as they often lose a lot of their time moderating and helping behind the scenes as opposed to surfing and enjoying the forums. They all have accepted that fact without any type of resentment.

Couple that with members thinking that the staff is going to be a whipping dog, its easy to get frustrated over the smallest of things(I speak for myself on that). Dealing with nasty, petty and unreasonable pm's from SOME members who "want what they want, when they want it and screw everyone else" happens once too many times, especially if your human.

So please do not confuse the moderating actions or decisons as a dictatorship, as that is the farthest from the truth. The staff here has nothing but the best interest of the members as well as DX on their radar. All egos are checked at the door and no one is certainly power tripping as their is nothing to powertrip about as we are all giving and recieving back the fruits of our contributions via a great place to discuss diecasts.

I haven't been to many sites, where the moderators openly interact within the discussions. We like it like this, we do not want to appear only when there is a fire that needs to be put out.

In closing I would like to add that, this site was established on the principle of enjoying the hobby without myself milking members for monies and its remained true to that philosophy to date. Neither myself or any other staff member is making a living off this site and we are doing our damndest to ensure that it remains user friendly in every way possible at no cost to the membership. That means guidelines have to be implementd to ensure everything that DX has grown into be preserved. By no means are we looking for power or warrant the title of 'forum police'. If anyone believes the contrary, then your kidding yourself as your motives are not in favor of DX anyways, so take your hidden agenda elsewhere as it does nothing but prompt posts like this from me.

I do apologize to all(99.9%) members who had to endure such a read as I did not enjoy writing it.

If anyone would like to post a rebuttal or concern to anything I have written, please do so as it will not be held against you in anyway.

Thanks
Darrick
Forum Admin/Webmaster
DiecastXchange

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I know that I have not been a member of this forum very long, but I will say this, I am not a member of any other forum, and have no wish to look for another one. I thoroughly enjoy this site and am making new friends daily. I'm not a staff member, and I'm not a moderator. All I want to do is share my collection with others here, and see their collection. Rules are put in place for a reason, and as far as I'm concerned, the staff and moderators are put in place to make sure those rules are followed. I don't feel that that is ever done here in a draconian manner. But it has to be done so that all of us can enjoy the site. Were I doing something wrong, or irritating to other members, I would want to know, so I could modify my behavior. I think this forum is great and I appreciate all the work that you Darrick, and every one else does. This sight wouldn't be what it is without you all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:iagree

As a moderator of another Race/Diecast Bburago, I come hear to enjoy more types of diecast collecting and speak. I treat my role on the TMS Bburago with the same regard. I'm not there to pistol whip anyone, I'm there to maintain a certain level of respect towards all members and ensure the Bburago's continuation for all of our enjoyment.

To all the moderators here...

I salute you. :cheers

Thanks! :nicejob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have sponsors? Who/where? I've never seen an ad or banner on the forums. Heck, I'd consider throwing some bones to a sponsor for all we get here for free.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I'm in the same position,i do not belong to or wish to become a member of any other site.
I to have only been a member here a short while and in that time apart from a few deserved #iss takes i have found most here to be friendly,helpful and very informed.Some of the banter between members has had me laughing out loud.
I'ts a shame you have to post this Darrick but it needed to be done.
I will take this oppourtunity to thank you Darrick and all other staff members on creating and maintaining such a great site. :nicejob

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Can everybody read this please, after all, DiecastXchange is a Hobby Forum

4. DX Forum Staff Mission
DiecastXchange was created in April of 2003 as a recreational site for collectors and enthusiasts. DX's intent and main purpose is to promote the hobby of diecast collecting, sharing of information and to have a good time while enjoying the hobby. In order to maintain the aforementioned, moderators are needed to ensure DX stays true to its original intent and purpose.

The DiecastXchange Forum Staff is a selected group of members who demonstrate a unselfish passion and dedication to the hobby and its fundamental growth and enjoyment. All are volunteers and receive no compensation for their time and efforts in serving the diecast community.

The Staff commonly referred to as Ringers, moderate the forums in a manner which is productive to the efficiency and best interest of the DX Community and forums. Answering questions/concerns, while expecting members to be mature, civil and respectful to others is often the beginning of a Staff Members day. There's often a lot of behind the scenes activities going on to ensure that the DX Community remain enjoyable and user friendly.

There is no instructional manual on how to be a moderator, all decisions are arbitrary and usually comes down to common sense and the best interest of the community as a whole. Some moderating decisions are simple while other can be of a complex nature...even when they shouldn't be.

As all the staff are members of the DX Community, we like to enjoy the forums just as much as any other member. With all of the forums DX have, moderating someone's topics, posts is something we do out of necessity.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Darrick I totally agree with what you are saying. I'm part of a few diecast forums and I've been more active here than at any other. I have barely made any references to any of them because I don't know how it would be accepted. I'm part of a car club (which has now separated into 3 clubs for one car) and I was banned from one of the clubs because I had made a reference to another one of the club sites (for the same reason you mentioned that the advertisers don't think that's fair) I hate seeing drama in such a good place. Especially when you run it out of pocket. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Darrick, I really appreciate your job here. I am very glad to be part of this wonderful site.
I also realise that moderators do a good job to maintain this forum in good health (even if their job is not very "seeable" sometimes).
I have always enjoyed going to this place.

So if you have some bad manners around here, telling that something is wrong is your job. You don't have to be sorry to do it ! I can imagine that it isn't a good time to write this sort of text but if you have to, just do it !

I would be proud to be in the moderator/admin staff on this forum but unfortunatelty I don't have time for it !

So thank you Darrick to do what is needed to maintain this forum being a great place to go to !

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
I've been here just a few months as well, and I've only been collecting a week longer than that. My knowledge of diecasts is very slim - make that anorexic - but it would be nonexistent if it wasn't for this site. Darrick, you and everybody else who make this forum what it is deserve our thanks, not hassles. Being a member of the best diecast forum on the net is a privelege, not a right, and if the only cost of admission is following a few simple rules, we're getting off easy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have read the problematic tread and I really dont see anything wrong with what has happened.... A rule is there to be abided with, and if someone does not, it is the moderating team to correct it. Afterall, this place is not ours, its not a right, but a privilage. So I guess abiding to the rules and respecting everyone else is the least that can be done.

Darrick, you have done an impressive job on this forum as I already told you once. Keep it up. :nicejob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do thank you all who have posted to this topic for the kind words. Myself nor the staff aren't looking for pats on the back as we have accepted the task of servicing the diecast community best we can through DX. However, the kind words are much appreciated to no end.

Bernard,
Please do not take this topic as a direct relation to only Patty's topic. I mentioned that particular topic as it is only one example of what I previously described relating to lack of courtesy from forum to forum.

For the past two weeks the staff have been dealing with what can be described as a lack of courtesy for whatever reason on a daily basis. Most of these dealing are through pm, however, that seems to be getting no where as our requests have gone unanswered or perhaps ignored. So by no means is this just an isolated incident and it does not pertain to just one person, it covers a few members.

So by requesting in public that members exhibit the same courtesy on DX that they demonstrate on other forums, just maybe we can move on from distractions such as these.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Since I am relatively new and a member of only this one forum I could only relate to that one. I understood clearly your points though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i know what you mean. when i used to sell corvettes i was the sponsoring dealer's representative for the corvette club i was a member of and did so much for the club i belonged to and yet 5 members would buy corvettes elsewhere after all the sponsorship contribution we would make. they would then brag about the purchase and talk about them just getting the car and not caring about who they got it from.you are right about others getting free ride plugs. it just is not right for others to promote people that don't contribute.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Well Darrick and DX Mod's.

I don't really care if you're looking for pat's on the back or not, but you're going to get them and are most definitely deserving of them, regardless of this topic bringing it to our(the members) attention.

Keep up the great work! :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since some of you have expressed your tenure with DX, I would like to say that with the addition of your presence, DX has certainly attracted a lot of great new members. :cheers

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.