DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanna paint some plastic parts of the Maisto XJ220

I herd that acrylic paints are better to use and that several coats are better, but to do them thin, is this true?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Painting plastic can be difficult depending on the surface. Some paint will curl up and bubble on plastic surfaces. Found this out the hard way.

Just lay a nice coat of primer down and then use some really light coats to get a sense of how its going to do.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I used acrylic paint for my Dodge Charger project when I did the engine and rollcage detail. You are right, Chris, in saying that several thin coats works best as you'll get a smooth consistent finish with this method.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
StygianMax said:
Does anyone degrease the plastic before priming? (Noob question)
Yup, I've always washed any surface I've painted, especially the plastic simply because of the residue left behind from the molding process.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought some acrylics the other day,
didn't know you needed primer, but I got good results with about 3 or 4 coats of the paint.

another question,
what is the name of the black paint that is similar to the black of diecast car seats? I bought some "jet black" paint, but it's more like very dark grey

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
road warrior said:
didn't know you needed primer, but I got good results with about 3 or 4 coats of the paint.

another question,
what is the name of the black paint that is similar to the black of diecast car seats? I bought some "jet black" paint, but it's more like very dark grey
Thanks for your tips. I'll let my two kids know about that as they're going nuts painting plastic Beyblades and 1:64 cars. "Mod madness" has seized them!! :lol

As for the paint name, you'll find that different manufacturers give very different names to their paint. If you are looking for the name of the dark grey paint from a very specific company, that's probably the way to start. My best guess for a name wouldbe "slate grey" or maybe "gunmetal grey". :confused

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ive found a grey primer is better for plastic as it shows up areas on the plastic that needs to be sanded more better then white or black...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
StygianMax said:
road warrior said:

another question,
Thanks for your tips. I'll let my two kids know about that as they're going nuts painting plastic Beyblades and 1:64 cars. "Mod madness" has seized them!! :lol

As for the paint name, you'll find that different manufacturers give very different names to their paint. If you are looking for the name of the dark grey paint from a very specific company, that's probably the way to start. My best guess for a name wouldbe "slate grey" or maybe "gunmetal grey". :confused
ha ha,
i don't suppose your kids inherited the urge to piant stuff from you :giggle

umm, I have dark grey paint and I wanted black paint, I hear "matt black" is a nice dark black

and a bit OT, what grit sandpaper do I use to sand plastic?? and how can I do small enclosed areas, like the inner side of pipes?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts