DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been posted before, but how much of a perfectionist are you? Say, if you receive a model from an online store only to discover it was blemished (even slightly), would you not hesitate to return it for a better one? Or say, if you can't return it for whatever reason (rare model, purchased off ebay for instance) you decide to still keep it in the collection, until you stumble across another, bidding/winning only to hope it's in better nick?

I have a certain diecast I want to replace (cracked window, peeling stickers) I purchased off ebay several months ago, despite being told by the seller it was in PERFECT cond. Unfortunately, he wouldn't accept any returns unless I paid for postage. I just couldn't justify it at the time. Now however, another model of the same description has popped up on ebay. While this seller insists it's blemish-free, I figure I'll take my chances on this model, hopefully winning it thus replacing it with the one in my collection. My family think I'm nuts haha. Seriously. I simply tell them they don't understand what it's like collecting diecast. :happy

So, I pose the question. How much of a perfectionist are you? Enlighten me!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I'm pretty bad. I usually expect my cars to be perfect, although I can tolerate very minor imperfections. The thing that bugs me the most is paint blemishes. I can tolerate some other things, but chips, scratches, bubbles, etc., drive me crazy!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats easy - I expect my monies worth.

With some brands, comes knowledge of blemishes and such, example would be GMP, they are known for paint blemishes. Any time I purchase a GMP, I request that the seller inspect it and look it over for obvious flaws.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what a paint blemish is. I've had like 2 models from ebay that were in less than perfect condition, a Bburago Testarossa and a Maisto McLaren F1, but they are still in very near mint condition and I paid small amount of money for them so I don't mind.

The only "way" of a perfectionist that I am is that I must have a certain colour or livery/number version of racing car, and if I can't have that, I don't want the model altogether. I only regret getting my Hot Wheels Viper SRT-10. While it was extremely cheap, I would like to get the AUTOart version as I can get that one really cheap too but I've figured I can just spend my money on other things.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I am a perfectionist in a way, because I will always look over a model very closely and find the smallest flaw. Take a tiny little glue spot on my new AUTOart M635 CSi for example, or a tiny rough patch on one of the stripe decals on my Cobra 427.

That said, I would rarely go to the hassle of returning a model for such a small flaw. They are really not noticeable on the shelf, and only if they really spoilt the enjoyment of the model would I send it back :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im kinda bad ....But i dont take them back ...

When i got my Franklin Mint 57 Brogham it had the paint worn off boath sides of the front doors , i picked it up fairly cheap along with a FM tucker that also needs work ....the Brogham will be repainted , and im still debateing on what im going to do witht he tucker , the drivers side front door b pillar is acutally broken ....might solider it and repaint m since the paint on thsi car is so dull ...

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
I don't know, I like my cars to be nice but I sure don't agonize over it. Life is way to short to get worked up over minor things. If there is a flaw that will detract from the look on the shelf, then heck yeah but if its one of those things that you are the only one that knows its there then why bother.

There is a guy in the 1:24 circles that actually buys 3-4 copies of every car he buys and picks out the best one and sells off the rest at a loss.
He doesn't even display his collection, he keeps them store in a spare room in their original boxes :WTF
Talk about being anal, I pity his wife and family if he has one :dizzy

·
Registered
10,816 Posts

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
I expect to get what I pay for. I have my own standards for what I should get for the kind of money I'm spending. We all do.

For cars costing over $40-50 I expect to see at minimum:
Seatbelts
Plumbed & wired engine
Very good paint
Almost perfect tampos
Valvestems on rims
Chrome trim present (BMF is prefered)
Pretty tight shut lines
Very accurate body lines

That being said and depending on the subject matter, I'm open to comprimise!!!

Who expects a $15 Maisto to fit my (or fill in your own) critera above. Perfection costs money in most cases. However there is less of a selection on the 'high end' of the hobby. So do you settle for a lower end car and be disappointed with it or wait for a high end company to release it (if they ever do). How soon until CMC releases a '71 Hemi 'Cuda in Plum Crazee.

Research is the only way to not be disappointed in the fact that you did not get what you had hoped. Aside from QC misses on the production line, you should know what you are getting before hand. So that way there is no disappointment because the car was not as close to you idea of perfection.

Sometimes it's not always to best to be the first one on the block with a new release.

:cheers
Sean

p.s. 1:1 cars come off the production line in less than perfect condition anyways!!! So does that mean that our scale replicas are more 'perfect' than we realize they are???

·
Registered
65 Posts
I suppose I'm a bit of a perfectionist myself when it comes to my models...

Having started my diecast collection with Minichamps, that is the brand by which I base others on. Out of all the other makes I own (AutoArt, HotWheels, Onyx and Solido), I'd only rate AutoArt alongside them.

I bought a McRae / Ringer Citroen 2003 rally car (1:18 scale) manufacured by Solido a few months back (my first rally car), and was a bit disappointed in the quality of the paintwork (rough areas here and there) and the fact that one of the doors don't quite close flush with the car. I later bought a McRae / Grist Ford Focus 2000 rally car (1:18 scale) manufactured by AutoArt, and in comparison to the Solido, it's in a different league!

F1 car wise, I found that Onxy were the worst. I used to own a couple of Williams Renaults (Hill's FW18 and Frentzen's FW19) in 1:18 scale manufactured by them, but over time, the decals simply bubbled up and flaked off. Strangely enough, the 1:43 scale cars I have manufactured by them are still decal-intact. In addition, I have found (in my opinion) HotWheels models to be a bit "duller" in the paintwork / decals department than their Minichamps counterparts...

I've only got one gripe with a Minichamps I own - a 1:18 scale model of Jan Magnussen's 1997 Stewart Ford SF1. I love this model to bits, but, having bought it via eBay, on receipt I noticed that the front wing doesn't sit level, and when displayed, touches the shelf. Even though someone owned it before me, I doubt that they caused this fault (ie, the tartan decal on the wing hasn't been disturbed).

Saying that though, it's something I want to rectify in the future. How I'm going to fix it though, well, that's a project I'll have to think long and hard about before butchering such a beautiful (and rare) F1 car! :pullhair

·
Registered
382 Posts
I look at them as if they were a real car...as with a new car 1:1 you will find many things not right but you keep it anyway.....unless very bad I live with it....as said before "life is short" enjoy what ya have.....

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I would say I am :giggle I can live with paint problems, small ones, but I hate them :giggle

Another thing that really bugs me is thin paint around the doors :pullhair It's UGLY!!!!

Since I began collecting I have taken back atleast 10-15 models out of 75+

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.