DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe it's just this model, but I think given the way most people here have spoken so highly about AutoArt, I'm not blown away by this 917K Gulf car I have. Don't get me wrong, I like the model, and I"m happy since I paid $30 for it, but the engine detail, for instance, isn't any better than the Jouef 330P4 models I have. No wiring, no hoses, just a chunk of plastic.

The paint and decals are superb, and the Firestone branding on the tires looks cool, but I'd be a bit miffed if I spent $50+ on this model. It displays beautifully, but I think I'm a bit underwhelmed since I've heard most folks here sing the praises of AUTOart so loudly. I'm guessing the Porsches must be an older release?

·
Registered
994 Posts
If I'm honest I must say I neither have been very impressed by all the engine/interior pics of the 917... :eek:hmy The exterior looks superbly cool though, I can understand that that's what all the hurray is about :cheers

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
One time, I was incorrectly sent the AUTOart Steve McQueen 917K used in the Le Mans movie rather than an AUTOart Viper GTS-R (imagine my horror!) I did look at the 917K and I certainly wasn't too impressed with its quality. AUTOart's GTS-Rs look more superior in many respects. My :mine

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
I think the 917 was AUTOart'a first effort :confused
The detail/price level when they first came out was outstanding.
They were really something then.
I still like them, especially for the prices they are going for right now :danbanna

Don't worry Tim, it gets better after this one.
The 917L will redeem AUTOart in your eyes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After thinking about it for a few days, I'm not as upset as I was. Putting into perspective that I've paid similar amounts of money for some of the Jouef cars that I have (let alone the Hot Wheels F1 cars...) and for the price, I'm happy. I'll still be adding another one of the 917 models, as the price point really is tough to beat. Hopefully the C5R and Panoz will help redeem my faith in AUTOart!

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
TifosiF1 said:
Hopefully the C5R and Panoz will help redeem my faith in AUTOart!
The C5-R is done really well. I have 4 of them dating from their earliest model (1999 24Hr Rolex race) to the 2001 Le Mans class winner which attest to that. If the Panoz you're referring to is the GTR-1, the cockpit is done even nicer than that C5-Rs. LUW has some really good shots of his.

Let us know your thoughts on them once they get into your hots lil' hands! :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, I might get one of each, in a month or so. The Panoz GTR car is $25, and the Toyota is $40. They've also got a couple of GMP Lolas for $40, as well. I'll prob stick to the AAs for now, though.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
LUW said:
Get the Toyota TS020. You will NOT regret it.
:iagree After reading Luciano's review, I somehow mysteriously had one follow me home one day. :tempted :tempted :tempted

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
StygianMax said:
LUW said:
:iagree After reading Luciano's review, I somehow mysteriously had one follow me home one day. :tempted :tempted :tempted
I'm so glad I can cause at least a little financial damage to someone! :giggle
If I could only get back at Richard, Jeff, Darrick, Ronan, Dr. Jeff, etc, etc...

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
LUW said:
StygianMax said:
LUW said:
I'm so glad I can cause at least a little financial damage to someone! :giggle
If I could only get back at Richard, Jeff, Darrick, Ronan, Dr. Jeff, etc, etc...
:lol :lol :lol One of these days you'll get me Luciano!!! :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Well, the Toyota I just ordered is the #2 car, so I hope it's as good as the #1 model I've seen in pics so far. The evil influences here or tremendous. Who whoulda thought the last 8 or so cars that I've bought would not be Ferraris!

PS: I ordered the Panoz, too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Max Power said:
The GMP Lola's are pretty nice..... :giggle
as are their Trans Am cars. The Tommy Kendall "All Sport" Mustang is just stupifying with detail. :cool1

1 - 20 of 23 Posts